Jordyn Brooks...Pro Bowler??

Ozzy

Reaction score
Brooks severely overrated and tackles is a terrible stat to judge how good someone is. I know most will disagree but that’s fine.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Brooks is performing better in this defense than Bobby Wagner did last year. Brooks is a very talented linebacker and yes, a pro bowler. Dudes all over the field cleaning up after a lot of horrible D-line missed tackles. Wyman was on the radio just the other day stating how whenever he watches tape Brooks is always in the right spot and making the correct decision. He hardly ever makes mistakes. Problem is the guys in front of him are not doing their jobs so he's having to clean up their messes instead of being able to attack as much.

He had 10 tackles for loss just last year. You know how many times Bobby Wagner had 10 or more TFL's? Twice (2014 and 2017) in his entire career! Brooks is a good linebacker and anyone that can't see that isn't looking at the facts.
Bobby Wagner does many things that don't show up on the statsheet. For example, he was responsible for getting everyone aligned properly on defense and directing people. He was the QB and brain of the defense. Just looking at TFL and overall stats is extremely myopic. It's also worth noting that Brooks wasn't even playing the same position and role last season. He was also a liability on passing downs.

This season Brooks has NOT been great. Wyman is also the same guy that continuously praises Barton and was hyping him up. He's not a pro-bowl caliber player this season. Brooks has been extremely uneven this season and he continuously demonstrates that he is very poor at shedding blockers. He just lets the play come to him, he's very bad at attacking. There are times he's been straight up awful in games. His play is all over the place this season.

Brooks also has a pretty poor PFF grade in addition to this Top Billin's called him out this week with the same exact things I've personally observed.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner does many things that don't show up on the statsheet. For example, he was responsible for getting everyone aligned properly on defense and directing people. He was the QB and brain of the defense. Just looking at TFL and overall stats is extremely myopic. It's also worth noting that Brooks wasn't even playing the same position and role last season. He was also a liability on passing downs.

This season Brooks has NOT been great. Wyman is also the same guy that continuously praises Barton and was hyping him up. He's not a pro-bowl caliber player this season. Brooks has been extremely uneven this season and he continuously demonstrates that he is very poor at shedding blockers. He just lets the play come to him, he's very bad at attacking. There are times he's been straight up awful in games. His play is all over the place this season.

Brooks also has a pretty poor PFF grade in addition to this Top Billin's called him out this week with the same exact things I've personally observed.
Guess what? Brooks has the green dot on his helmet now. That means he calls the defense and gets guys lined up now. Are you actually trying to bring that up as if it helps your argument? As for TFL, that was one example I touched on, however if you actually look at what I said, I said he's having a better season than Bobby did last year. I can make that statement because I went and looked up the stats (all of them) and have actual information to back up what I'm saying and not just some confirmation bias "personal observation".

Brooks has already matched Bobby's totals in QB hits, solo tackles, forced fumbles, and sacks, with 1 less pass defended and TFL and he still has 4 games yet to play. Brooks will likely finish the season with better #'s in every one of those categories than Bobby did last year, when he was a pro bowler. That's not myopic my friend, that's pretty much every meaningful stat.

Wyman is not the only one that is on Brooks side either (also Wyman has been critical of Barton too this year). KJ Wright has a weekly radio spot and he has mentioned Brooks as being great more than once and has also mentioned the need for the D-line to help out the linebackers. Both of those guys do (and should) hold a lot more weight in there opinions than some internet dude that never played in the NFL. No offense to us internet dudes (me being one myself), but I just believe their opinions should hold more weight than ours.

Last thing I'll say is that the Pro Bowl voting is only 1/3 by the fans. The other 2/3 (majority) of the vote comes from players and coaches. Brooks will have to get enough votes from his peers and the coaches to actually be a pro bowler. If they vote him in, then I'd be hard pressed to say he's not deserving... The fans seem to think he's a pro bowl level player. If the coaches and his peers think so too then I think that's pretty unanimous. However, if he doesn't make it then that speaks volumes too...

Last edited:

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
Guess what? Brooks has the green dot on his helmet now. That means he calls the defense and gets guys lined up now. Are you actually trying to bring that up as if it helps your argument? As for TFL, that was one example I touched on, however if you actually look at what I said, I said he's having a better season than Bobby did last year. I can make that statement because I went and looked up the stats (all of them) and have actual information to back up what I'm saying and not just some confirmation bias "personal observation".

Brooks has already matched Bobby's totals in QB hits, solo tackles, forced fumbles, and sacks, with 1 less pass defended and TFL and he still has 4 games yet to play. Brooks will likely finish the season with better #'s in every one of those categories than Bobby did last year, when he was a pro bowler. That's not myopic my friend, that's pretty much every meaningful stat.

Wyman is not the only one that is on Brooks side either (also Wyman has been critical of Barton too this year). KJ Wright has a weekly radio spot and he has mentioned Brooks as being great more than once and has also mentioned the need for the D-line to help out the linebackers. Both of those guys do (and should) hold a lot more weight in there opinions than some internet dude that never played in the NFL. No offense to us internet dudes (me being one myself), but I just believe their opinions should hold more weight than ours.

Last thing I'll say is that the Pro Bowl voting is only 1/3 by the fans. The other 2/3 (majority) of the vote comes from players and coaches. Brooks will have to get enough votes from his peers and the coaches to actually be a pro bowler. If they vote him in, then I'd be hard pressed to say he's not deserving... The fans seem to think he's a pro bowl level player. If the coaches and his peers think so too then I think that's pretty unanimous. However, if he doesn't make it then that speaks volumes too...
Brooks is fine. These guys calling him out are pathetic.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

So what if he has the green dot? How our are guys looking on the field? They have a ton of communication issues and are constantly out of position. Wouldn't that mean that Brooks is somewhat responsible for the communication issues and misqueues that we've had thus far? Wagner and Brooks aren't even comparable in that regard.

Brooks has not been playing that well, also a lot of people that don't deserve it get into the pro-bowl on a regular basis. It's a really not the best metric out there to judge a player by.

DJrmb

Reaction score
So what if he has the green dot? How our are guys looking on the field? They have a ton of communication issues and are constantly out of position. Wouldn't that mean that Brooks is somewhat responsible for the communication issues and misqueues that we've had thus far? Wagner and Brooks aren't even comparable in that regard.

Brooks has not been playing that well, also a lot of people that don't deserve it get into the pro-bowl on a regular basis. It's a really not the best metric out there to judge a player by.
And the defense looked just as bad and often out of position last year with Bobby at the helm, so is Bobby responsible for last year's crappy defense? You keep talking yourself into circles.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
If we're looking at stats 22 Brooks compares favorably with 21 Wagner for sure. I'm not sure Wagner's 21 Pro Bowl nod (or more certainly his '21 production) was exactly without scrutiny at the time. The argument here anyway was that Wagner's 'impact plays' seemed reduced. Brooks seems to be having a similar season.

Eye test wise, Brooks is struggling with the rest of the D. They're giving up >1+ ypc over last year. Things are kinda a dumpster fire. I'm not sure what he'd have to do to look good out there; it might require Butkus or LT level production. I don't see him with a Pro Bowl rank this year on tons of clean-up tackles alone. Long-term, in a more functional system, he's a very good LB who will hopefully earn multiple accolades.

Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score
So weird seeing people defend Brooks' play this season. He has consistently shifted the line and linebackers to the wrong side on running plays. He has also struggled a lot with shedding blocks. I personally blame Clint Hurtt for his regression, but some of it is simply because Brooks does not excel at some of the things we are asking him to do. He is not a bad linebacker, but he is not worthy of a pro bowl vote this season.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'll leave this here: Hawks have the 2nd worst run defense of any team since 2010. The worst is this year's Texans. That's like 383 out of 384.

DJrmb

Reaction score
If we're looking at stats 22 Brooks compares favorably with 21 Wagner for sure. I'm not sure Wagner's 21 Pro Bowl nod (or more certainly his '21 production) was exactly without scrutiny at the time. The argument here anyway was that Wagner's 'impact plays' seemed reduced. Brooks seems to be having a similar season.

Eye test wise, Brooks is struggling with the rest of the D. They're giving up >1+ ypc over last year. Things are kinda a dumpster fire. I'm not sure what he'd have to do to look good out there; it might require Butkus or LT level production. I don't see him with a Pro Bowl rank this year on tons of clean-up tackles alone. Long-term, in a more functional system, he's a very good LB who will hopefully earn multiple accolades.
Great post to kind of summarize everything up. I don't disagree with really anything you bring up here.

Mase

Reaction score
-- I am on the yes to Pro Bowl for sure. Brooks is second only to Woolen on value to this defense. Bobby Wagner is my second favorite Hawk of alltime, and his release hurt, but would have been much worse if we didn't have Brooks ready to take over. Think about the talent around Wags in his first couple of years as a starter, versus what Brooks has not. To me, Brooks is great, but will be truly special when we find the next KJ. Right now the other LBs are edge rushers and of course, Cody "picture on a Milk" Barton.

Mase

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I’ve always hated that statistic, most tackles, being interpreted as “good.”

No!

There’s a direct correlation of most tackles with how many snaps the defense plays.

Being clutch and effective should be the measuring unit for these pro bowl voting stat display, but, that would mean people voting are voting for Xs and Os and not lame casual statistics.

And, let’s break a few hearts here, most people (casual fans) are lame!

Sorry, not sorry!

Lmao

knownone

Reaction score
Brooks puts up stats, but in terms of advanced stats, he is one of the worst starting LBs in the league. For example, he has 2 TFLs all seasons (tied for #66), and he's 33rd in run defense.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm a big Jordyn Brooks fan, and I see his athleticism, speed, hustle and competitiveness on every play. What I also see is that a lot of his tackles are 6-8 yards down the field. I was stunned when Top Billin called Brooks out in a recent video breakdown. Yet I had to admit that what he was saying, "get a hand on Brooks and he's done" was on target, with receipts on video. Seattle's D has been bad enough this year that it's hard to justify any member of the Front 7 going to the Pro Bowl, with the notable exception of Nwosu, who's been a stud.

Yes, there are a lot of mitigating factors, undermanned DL in front of Brooks, new role this year, new defensive scheme, etc. Even though I don't see him deserving Pro Bowl recognition this year, just from failing the basic eye test of Pro-Bowl level play, I do think Brooks is an important foundational piece of the defense going forward, and look forward to great things from him in future years.

Latest posts