Ken Norton

PNW

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1uwnzkii said:
RCATES":1uwnzkii said:
Make no mistake this is 100% Pete's Defense. Norton is a Yes Man that will fold under Pete's guidance at any time. There's a reason Pete never throws Ken under the bus. He knows its his program and its failing. I doubt Quinn would come back with Pete's full control of this team.
Agreed.

Pete Carroll be like:

“We’ve tried nothing and we’re all out of ideas.” -Ned Flanders beatnik parents

Lmao!
Hahaha yes totally agreed

jammerhawk

Reaction score
CATES and his anti- Pete bias is showing through. I'd suspect that Quinn would want to come to this team to see if he can turn this ship around. Quinn however gets a few years of money for nothing after getting canned in Atlanta.

I suspect even Pete is frustrated with the lack of performance from Norton's D. Fresh ideas are wanted here.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Did you know KNJr's dad busted Ali's jaw?

Did you know KNJ had a successful football career? Including 3 SB rings that he single-handedly brought to SF? He won 3 SB in a row by being in the right place at the right time. That's smart business.

Did you know KNJ is currently running the worst defense in the 100+ history of the NFL?

If Pete wants hims around for Good Ol Boy club reasons and as arm candy, I guess that's his decision.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when Kris Richard was the worst and people were calling for his head. At some point, you have to look at the top

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
True, but at least Kris Richard was the best of the worst we had.

And he is available. I would take him right now to replace Norton.

We probably win a SB with Richard, at least he knows how to coach a secondary and deal with injuries.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I was calling for this all off season. For those claiming it is strictly personnel or injuries please stop. Every team deals with injuries and we have multiple pro bowlers and even all pros on D.
This D is all time horrific and its not because of personnel. If you want to argue he isn't the problem fine. But I can sure as hell say KNJ IS NOT THE SOLUTION!!!
He made the D at the Raiders worse and it got better when he left. He came back here and the D has been MUCH WORSE. Historically bad type of stuff. KNJ is not the answer and he needs to go.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
I think Ken deserves FOUR MORE YEARS. Give him a contract that mirrors Pete's.

It's not Ken's fault that he was tasked with coming in to make something out of the terrible messed he inherited. It's all the players' fault. And boy, if the media would cut him slack once in a while he could really make some great leaps and bounds. i mean, look at his history. Winning.

Not Ken's fault. Everybody else.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The secondary was declining prior to Norton’s arrival here as the DC. It was regressing since Richard was promoted to DC in 2015. Guess who was hired in 2015 to replace Richard? The current defensive passing game coordinator, Andre Curtis. https://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches-roster/andre-curtis. Curtis was hired before Norton took over as DC and possibly was told he needed to retain the existing staff that was in place at the time.

I’m in no way excusing Norton as he is also part of the problem. The problem is bigger than just Norton and scapegoating him doesn’t solve it. The problem is Pete Carroll. Pete hired his defensive staff. He is ultimately responsible for the results or lack thereof. No way am I suggesting PC should step down. But pointing fingers at one person without any basis is ridiculous. What he did with the Raiders is insignificant. Raiders run things differently. Case in point, Cable is having success in LV but was a complete failure here. He is being lauded as the architect of a revived Raider running game. So that should be enough proof that the way they do things is different than what is done here.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
AubHawk71":2rvhqu35 said:
I think Ken deserves FOUR MORE YEARS. Give him a contract that mirrors Pete's.

It's not Ken's fault that he was tasked with coming in to make something out of the terrible messed he inherited. It's all the players' fault. And boy, if the media would cut him slack once in a while he could really make some great leaps and bounds. i mean, look at his history. Winning.

Not Ken's fault. Everybody else.

Well hello there Ken Norton's mom.

LTH

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2av6p0jc said:
Sgt. Largent":2av6p0jc said:
TwistedHusky":2av6p0jc said:
You don't put up the worst results as a DC in NFL history because of one game.

We had injuries in the last game, but it does not explain the rest of the year.

Wasn't Norton the DC for the Niner game?

I'm not defending him, fire him if you want. But it's not going to fix the real problem, personnel and injuries.

You also had your head coach say after the game "gee, we didn't think Buffalo was going to throw THAT much, took us way too long to adjust!"

Pete got his coaching ass handed to him yesterday by McDermott, terrible game plan, on both sides of the ball. So Fire Norton, keep Norton, won't make a difference until you get a true #1 corner, a dependable healthy 2nd corner and LB's that can cover in space against 3 and 4 wide sets.
Every team has injuries.

At some point, you have to make the most out of what you have and just call/coach better.

You cannot use injuries as an excuse unless you are the Niners that have been just hammered with injuries.

Seattle has serious coaching issues on defense and Carroll will not blame his coordinators until it’s too late.

Your right the Niners have been hit with injuries but look at where they are? this team is probably not going to make the playoffs...

everybody says that injuries are not an excuse because you're supposed to have depth but this year it kind is an excuse for the whole NFL being they missed pre season and were not really able to assess the new guys like they normally would ...

Like SGT Largent said our corners are hurt both of them it's not a good situation So they are depending on guys like Reed who haven't been on the team long enough to even understand the scheme.. .ok but how is that Nortons fault? if he drops back in a zone he gets torched if he blitzes he gets torched... Its true he has to find a way to make it work he is in a tough situation... best case scenarios are he hangs in there till Reed and the young guys start to learn the D and hang in there till the starters come back which is still tough because these guys have only played one game together as a starting unit... they have new players as in JA, Dunbar, Diggs, Dunlap all guys that are still learning the system and learning each other... So this is not a cohesive unit yet...

On the flip side they have to game plan better with what they have... that's a really hard situation for any D coordinator...

LTH

chet380

Reaction score
With PC's major interest being D, there can be no doubt that prior to any game, Norton's game plan would have been carefully examined and adjusted by PC, taking into account the Hawks' limitations and the opponents' strengths -- a similar examination and adjustments would occur in every game at half-time.

Taking into account the Hawks' serious problems with their pass rush and pass coverage, it would seem to be grossly unfair to blame all the shortcomings on Norton.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete defines the plan, strategy, and some tactics.

It is still on Norton to execute.

The idea that Norton is somehow just a weird puppet makes no sense. Just in terms of time available to dedicate, Carroll cannot commit to all the needs a DC has to address. That is on Norton.

I report to the US Global Director of Sales. It is his show. I work with the Directors of Sales for East and West Coast. I need to do things the way they want. I do Global Key Accounts, but to imply that it does not matter how I do my job is ridiculous. We have giant deals with clients that I have to deliver. We have teams in all 50 states that depend on the work I provide.

My Director sets the rules, the plan, and anything else that I need to do. I still need to do it. Someone else is not going to get the same large deals, nor build our relationships with key players across the globe. That is on me.

I know football is different but coaches still have to delegate. Otherwise, we could have a cat as a DC. Pete is not the DC. It IS his defense. His rules. His plans. Norton gets paid a lot of money to deliver, and find ways of being successful while doing what Carroll wants how he wants it.

He is not doing that. Norton is failing. By any measure. We have injuries, but other teams with injuries have not turned into the 'worst there ever was or ever will be'.

Pete gets different results from different DCs even though it is all still 'Pete's defense'. Why is that?

The idea that Norton is not culpable for his failures because this is Pete's responsibility ignores the reality that Norton has a responsibility to deliver results for Pete. He isn't doing that.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":hghplidw said:
Pete defines the plan, strategy, and some tactics.

It is still on Norton to execute.

The idea that Norton is somehow just a weird puppet makes no sense. Just in terms of time available to dedicate, Carroll cannot commit to all the needs a DC has to address. That is on Norton.

I report to the US Global Director of Sales. It is his show. I work with the Directors of Sales for East and West Coast. I need to do things the way they want. I do Global Key Accounts, but to imply that it does not matter how I do my job is ridiculous. We have giant deals with clients that I have to deliver. We have teams in all 50 states that depend on the work I provide.

My Director sets the rules, the plan, and anything else that I need to do. I still need to do it. Someone else is not going to get the same large deals, nor build our relationships with key players across the globe. That is on me.

I know football is different but coaches still have to delegate. Otherwise, we could have a cat as a DC. Pete is not the DC. It IS his defense. His rules. His plans. Norton gets paid a lot of money to deliver, and find ways of being successful while doing what Carroll wants how he wants it.

He is not doing that. Norton is failing. By any measure. We have injuries, but other teams with injuries have not turned into the 'worst there ever was or ever will be'.

Pete gets different results from different DCs even though it is all still 'Pete's defense'. Why is that?

The idea that Norton is not culpable for his failures because this is Pete's responsibility ignores the reality that Norton has a responsibility to deliver results for Pete. He isn't doing that.

Other then Quinn as a DC the results have been the same with Bradley, Richard and now Norton, in fact they have regressed every year since Richard left and was not involved in the Secondary. The line never played better then when we had Quinn here, he also had the Secondary playing more dictate then react. Yes the rules were different but you can still push the edge and be physical. Other teams are.

Latest posts