Kickoffs Intersting Again?

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
I guess their going for it, watched some on YouTube looks different, kind of cool I think thoughts?

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the changes. If it's unsafe, then just eliminate it and give the offense the ball at the 25 yard line and go from there. They're making the game unrecognizable with all these rule changes. Might as well just go to flag football.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the changes. If it's unsafe, then just eliminate it and give the offense the ball at the 25 yard line and go from there. They're making the game unrecognizable with all these rule changes. Might as well just go to flag football.
Flag football is coming post Olympics..

OP
OP
S

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
I think the elimination of kickoffs would make the game unrecognizable personally.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the elimination of kickoffs would make the game unrecognizable personally.
Yeah, it would be like saying you can't hit a home run in Baseball or only score doing Layups in Basketball, it has been one of the most exciting aspects of the game, you never know when it is going to happen that you get a run back, and who could forget He could go all the way Chris Berman statements.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The special teams coaches had it worked out pretty good so that teams would most likely try to keep the ball in play. Now, the rules committee just changed it and there will be no difference from last year when it comes to the amount of boring touchbacks.

xray

Reaction score
If you want to cut down on injuries , take away the all the protection devices ...helmets , pads , gloves , eye protection , mouthguards...everything .

rcaido

Reaction score
I like it, more punt returns this way. Also seem like you need a more competent kicker too.

xray

Reaction score
Onside kicks must now be approved by the officiating crew and the opposing team , 24 hours prior to the game . Just kidding...maybe . :)

JGreen79

Reaction score
The special teams coaches had it worked out pretty good so that teams would most likely try to keep the ball in play. Now, the rules committee just changed it and there will be no difference from last year when it comes to the amount of boring touchbacks.

How do you figure? If a kicker can put the ball inside the 20 but out of the end zone it has to be returned. The receiving team can't fair catch anymore. They only way you see a lot of touchbacks is if long returns become a normal thing, and even then some teams will be better at stopping those than others.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This rule change results in way, way more real kick returns with more interesting outcomes. The returners and special teams players have renewed importance in their roles now, like it used to be.

It's good. It's almost undeniably good. The previous iteration was more flag football than this, because they were all touchbacks.

flv2

Reaction score
It will be more entertaining than what we've had for the last few seasons. It will be safer than what we had in the seasons before that. However, it's a gimmick play and it will look like a gimmick play. There were multiple downsides to restarting with an artificial 4th & 20 scenario, but at least punting was a football play.

xray

Reaction score
We pay for contact football gawdamit...full contact football . Quit watering this game down please . Don't make us watch cornhole tournaments instead , cuz we will...we'll watch anything .

RiverDog

Reaction score
We pay for contact football gawdamit...full contact football . Quit watering this game down please . Don't make us watch cornhole tournaments instead , cuz we will...we'll watch anything .
That's just it. The game is no longer what I recognize as American football. Sure, the sport is dangerous, but no more so than competition cheerleading, motocross, and gymnastics, the only difference being participation rates, public visibility, and the amount of money involved. Let's reduce the risk of life threatening or severely crippling injuries such as those to the head and neck area, and deal with the rest of them with other measures such as protective equipment.