Kyle Shanahan… I'm Beginning to Have My Doubts

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Wait, Marv, that doesn't hold for the O-line as you said. There were decisions involved ie dumping Person for Brunskill. Garland was a known quantity last year as well. Besides Williams, these are guys that Shan all knows and they don't look like they are playing like an organized unit with all the pressure being allowed, especially when it's toward more a system QB than a scrambler like RW or yes Kyler.

Jimmy will get better, if he doesn't you'll probably put Beathard out there, but whoever's out there has no chance beyond this o-line that appears to have almost disintegrated after the ec games.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2bq57s8r said:
Wait, Marv, that doesn't hold for the O-line as you said. There were decisions involved ie dumping Person for Brunskill. Garland was a known quantity last year as well. Besides Williams, these are guys that Shan all knows and they don't look like they are playing like an organized unit with all the pressure being allowed, especially when it's toward more a system QB than a scrambler like RW or yes Kyler.

Jimmy will get better, if he doesn't you'll probably put Beathard out there, but whoever's out there has no chance beyond this o-line that appears to have almost disintegrated after the ec games.

Thats fair. I wasn't trying to excuse O-Line play by saying "Two new starters". It did kinda sound that way on re-read.

Both the move to Brunskill and Williams wer thought to be upgrades, but as of this moment, they haven't been. Williams in particular is inexplicable. As I showed in another thread, the dude is still a hyper athletic monster, but he has SOOO many lapses. Alot of the pressure, hits, and sacks have come from his side.

There is no excuse on this one. The O-Line has been horrendous. McGlinchey regressing as well.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1ea6jbv2 said:
Maybe you guys should hire Cable. I hear he's a regular O-line guru.

Raiders are a game behind KC and were competitive even with them in their game.

There's a lot worse you could do than with 2020 Cable

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Is he back with ray-duhs? If so, the only reason he's having anything resembling success with them is because he hasn't had a chance to put his own particular brand of screw-up into them. Just wait. He was okay here too, until he was able to fully realize his vision of what an NFL O-line should be. And it's taken Solari a couple of years to even start to erase the stain. I really doubt the ray-duhs have converted D-linemen, and converted prima ballerinas, and converted whatever-the-hell-else that idiot wanted instead of actual O-linemen on the O-line.

chris98251

Reaction score
Issue is, if you have a Statue the QB better be Aaron Rodgers who isn't a statue of the typical nature he can roll out, but a Brady or Manning type Statue needs a line or damn fast release and an offense that can play to that.

If not you better have a mobile QB which many of the best teams in the league now have.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
94Smith":1w5kjhp4 said:
Here is the equivalent in Seahawk injuries:

QB Wilson- miss 2.5 games with a high ankle sprain

Enough.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seems unlikely to be a motivation problem...

Miami blowing the doors off a banged-up Niners team doesn't seem much different that the Cardinals blowing the doors off a banged-up Seahawks team late last season. Was the resulting beat-down because Carroll was slipping as a leader? It also seemed like we were just trying to stay healthy.

I think overall Shanahan has been pretty good in the leadership and motivation area. It's so easy to second-guess. Of course, there can be learning curve along the way, which I think we saw against the Dolphins. It's not just up to Shanahan, it's up to Saleh and the other Niners coaching staff, though they only show Saleh on TV. It's up to the team leaders among the 49ers players.

Plenty of adversity to overcome. Shanahan's real test is the next few weeks, that murderous upcoming schedule.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's up to the team leaders among the 49ers players.

And some crucial 2019 team pieces are not there now.

Staley--retired
Bosa--season-ending ACL
Sherm--on short-term IR and not expected to return

So that's one.

Plus they aren't at the mo showing the heart that we did against Minny at the end there, or for that matter Philly when they played Dal last year or for that matter when they played us in playoffs. They just kept putting in PS guys that kept doing the job and even 41-yo McCown played on a broken hamstring until the very end.

I don't see that heart from them. I see it as them just throwing in the towel when the window of opportunity starts closing.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
It looks like this year is a total loss for SF. I think next year is real deal breaker. If he can't turn it around he may go down and a big time choke artist coach. Just as McVay's got knocked down a peg or two, Shannahan needs to show he can win the big game and that is going to be very hard in the NFC West for the next 2 or 3 years.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":30heirgj said:
It looks like this year is a total loss for SF. I think next year is real deal breaker. If he can't turn it around he may go down and a big time choke artist coach. Just as McVay's got knocked down a peg or two, Shannahan needs to show he can win the big game and that is going to be very hard in the NFC West for the next 2 or 3 years.

So...the Jed York thing is to see the West as just us versus the 9ers. He fed on it with his base putting up losing Seahawk scores in his stadium even when they were losing to everyone else in the league, and when he was competitive with the Hawks. That's his baseline expectation, that he'll be competitive with us or if he's not then with another No. 2 there.

A year in the cellar? My guess is he keeps both shan and lynch as they come as a pair.

Another year esp with his team not in the conversation, Yeah Jed will probably think about doing another Tomsula/Kelly rollover.

94Smith

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":7iicxorc said:
Wenhawk":7iicxorc said:

So...the Jed York thing is to see the West as just us versus the 9ers. He fed on it with his base putting up losing Seahawk scores in his stadium even when they were losing to everyone else in the league, and when he was competitive with the Hawks. That's his baseline expectation, that he'll be competitive with us or if he's not then with another No. 2 there.

A year in the cellar? My guess is he keeps both shan and lynch as they come as a pair.

Another year esp with his team not in the conversation, Yeah Jed will probably think about doing another Tomsula/Kelly rollover.

So a few things on this post. The 49ers are 2-2 against your Seahawks in the last 4 games and defending NFC champs. Plus, we still face you twice. I think cellar dwellers is highly unlikely as there is a ton of talent still. Finally, I doubt York would move on from this coach GM combo if they are not meeting expectations as he made that mistake with Harbaugh.

Finally, if Jimmy G is mediocre the rest of the season the 49ers will just move on. Something tells me some big names will be available this offseason and I could see a Matt Ryan reunion especially if a new regime is in Atlanta and they are drafting high enough to get a marquee QB. The other possibility is Aaron Rodgers although the packers would be idiots for letting him go

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
94Smith":32x4aqh0 said:
So a few things on this post. The 49ers are 2-2 against your Seahawks in the last 4 games and defending NFC champs. Plus, we still face you twice. I think cellar dwellers is highly unlikely as there is a ton of talent still. Finally, I doubt York would move on from this coach GM combo if they are not meeting expectations as he made that mistake with Harbaugh.

Finally, if Jimmy G is mediocre the rest of the season the 49ers will just move on. Something tells me some big names will be available this offseason and I could see a Matt Ryan reunion especially if a new regime is in Atlanta and they are drafting high enough to get a marquee QB. The other possibility is Aaron Rodgers although the packers would be idiots for letting him go

Oh definitely, he won't do it this year no matter what happens, because the images of the "F york" phallic balloons being batted around in his stadiumhe are still fresh in his mind. The media outrage against "hold me accountable" and then producing freaking Tomsula is probably another salient memory.

He got Lynch to deal with the PR, which has helped him immensely, but Shan came with it. So Jed is kind of in that boat but he's going to eventually deal with it without results if there's a multi-year drought. Martha Ford told Quinn/Patricia they'd be out if it didn't look like they were making playoffs by t-giving and it looks like Martha's kid (who has taken over the team) is holding them to that.

He and Shanlynch are going to def have questions about that QB position going forward; clearly they already did by looking at the possibility of Tom Brady.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonAponte2103/status/1316148180887666688[/tweet]
I disagree with Niners Fanbois and "muh injuries", and agree with George Kittle.

These are the type of players and the culture Kyle is allowing on his football team.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBCS49ers/status/1315435298793422853[/tweet]

Grant Cohn's a troll, but his Kyle Shanahan impression he does is absolutely hilarious and spot on. He got his dad to laugh, and then he asked him to do the impression again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Starts at 5:35
[youtube]7RmqSw3-gwU[/youtube]
A must watch. And that's what I am talking about with Kyle, brilliant on the whiteboard, but completely uninspiring as a leader of men. Kyle is a young coach, and this just may be a rough patch, or last year was an outlier. That's what I'm trying to find out. The rest of this season is going to tell a whole lot. Don't be milquetoast Kyle, inspire your players!

94Smith

Reaction score
I don't know, you don't need your coach to be a "leader" or a rah rah guy. New age athletes and vets kind of scoff at that. Look at Belicheck. You need your coach to put your team in the best position to win. Leadership should come from the veterans. We lost two in Staley and Buck and Sherman is on IR. That's three captains right there

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
94Smith":19ff5qoe said:
I don't know, you don't need your coach to be a "leader" or a rah rah guy. New age athletes and vets kind of scoff at that. Look at Belicheck. You need your coach to put your team in the best position to win. Leadership should come from the veterans. We lost two in Staley and Buck and Sherman is on IR. That's three captains right there

Jim Harbaugh was 20x the leader Shanny is, and I don't consider him "rah rah." I think Shanny is still the smarter offensive mind though. Bill Belichick motivates his team and gets them to play hard without being "rah rah." Tony Gonzales has told a great story about how Bill tricked him into playing hard in the Pro-Bowl back in the day for example. Stop the damage control.

The Niners are a looking like a disinterested, disorganized, football team right now. And it must stop this week. They largely have the starting lineup on offense intact. Will Shanny rise to the occasion? Or tuck his tail and mope? We'll find out soon enough.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Ninersnation takes a look at a lot of the issues we've been discussing here.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/10/14 ... five-games

Witherspoon was healthy enough to play, but Shanahan refused to put him in the game. This “feud” dates back to 2018. Shanahan has gone out of his way to call out Witherspoon, oftentimes in front of teammates. Against the Dolphins, league spies said that Witherspoon was healthy enough to play, but Kyle wouldn’t let him go in. The “hamstring” was a cover up for Witherspoon being benched. It took Brian Allen getting torched in coverage for Shanahan to acknowledge putting Spoon in the game. Ahkello had to go to Saleh begging, pleading to go in the game, but Saleh had to get Shanahan’s approval. I’m not sure who the person is, but someone has to save Kyle from himself in these situations.

Maulbert

Reaction score
94Smith":311oo94r said:

You don't need to be rah rah to be a leader. Look at Belichick. Dude barely shows anything. However, you wouldn't think to question his leadership.

chris98251

Reaction score
Belichek is the ultimate leader, much like Holmgren his leadership is during the week, how he handles the roster, and how he delegates to the coaches. The players don't want to talk to him, if it gets that far they probably will be on a waiver wire the next week or be off the active roster.

Marvin49

Reaction score
So......you guys are quoting Ninernation and Lowell and Grant Cohn?

Yeah. Ok.

Moving on.