LJ Collier

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1dxz5pgk said:
ivotuk":1dxz5pgk said:
toffee":1dxz5pgk said:
Fade":1dxz5pgk said:
I'm just happy he is actually contributing, the bar is low.
But is he? How much has he contributed?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

A lot. He stopped Cam Newton on the 1 yard line and won that game for us. That's only the obvious play, but he's been in there a lot, causing havoc.
He wasn't even the guy that really caused the havok, Adams blew up two guys, and ultimately squared up to make the tackle. It was an unremarkable play on his part, and other defensive lineman also were getting penetration. So far that is who Collier is. I'm sort of reminded of Tapp when watching him play.

Wags is the one that caused that play. He got penetration that caused the pulling guard or tackle to block him instead of wiping out Adams or Collier.

Anyway Collier has been serviceable but nothing more. Average player.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Oddly enough, the same was said about another DE drafted in the 1st Rd... Bruce Irving. Can he be a good piece to this team, yes. Will he? That's to be determined, but I'm willing to give him time to develop and find out. Keep rising kid.

RCATES

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3c69zq13 said:
Dude has started 4 NFL games so far. Generally not looking awful should be the bar for 99% of rookies that aren't RB's.

Even first overall picks struggle in the first 4 games of their careers. Wilson, the most pro ready human I've ever seen as a rookie, was pretty awful his first 4 games. Many folks wanting him benched for Flynn.

Collier in his first 4 games has made one very big TFL, 2 QB hits, and a pass defensed. I think that's not too bad at this stage of his career.

You aren't going to find a ton of pro ready day one impact players in the draft. Most guys take minimum half season to adjust to the pro game. It's nice when they don't, but it's hardly common. He's not making glaring errors and is making a few plays. I'm Ok with that at this point.

That’s because he sucked to hard to start last year and rode the bench. Nothing impressive about this kid. Like I said I wish this FO would give up on 1st rounders. They have been awful.

kf3339

Reaction score
If we had taken DK in the low 1st and LJ in the the low 2nd round no one would be this down on the kid at this point. My only real issue was an entitlement attitude he gave off this last off-season.

I don't care about draft position after he signed his rookie contract. Now it's about his play and learning progression. He didn't help himself by getting hurt and being a healthy scratch is many games last year, but that doesn't matter now.

This year he is starting and holding his own. I wouldn't say he is a difference maker, but also not a major liability. Pass rush is something that takes time to learn at this level. Very few first and second year players come in and tear the league up with QB sacks and pressures. He is also playing the 5T position which is more about run defense than QB pressure. I don't know yet what we have in him, but willing to give him some time to learn and grow into the position.

Personally, I hope he ends up being a dominant DE in both the run and pass. That would be great for us, and possibly calm some of you who want to chase players off this team who don't measure up to your expectations. That is where we have a defensive oriented HC who knows a lot more than any of us. Thank God!

rcaido

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1n3041ek said:
ivotuk":1n3041ek said:
toffee":1n3041ek said:
Fade":1n3041ek said:
I'm just happy he is actually contributing, the bar is low.

A lot. He stopped Cam Newton on the 1 yard line and won that game for us. That's only the obvious play, but he's been in there a lot, causing havoc.
He wasn't even the guy that really caused the havok, Adams blew up two guys, and ultimately squared up to make the tackle. It was an unremarkable play on his part, and other defensive lineman also were getting penetration. So far that is who Collier is. I'm sort of reminded of Tapp when watching him play.

Unremarkable play? You make sound like its easy to tackle Cam Newton.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
RCATES":2k54tavy said:
Mad Dog":2k54tavy said:
Dude has started 4 NFL games so far. Generally not looking awful should be the bar for 99% of rookies that aren't RB's.

Even first overall picks struggle in the first 4 games of their careers. Wilson, the most pro ready human I've ever seen as a rookie, was pretty awful his first 4 games. Many folks wanting him benched for Flynn.

Collier in his first 4 games has made one very big TFL, 2 QB hits, and a pass defensed. I think that's not too bad at this stage of his career.

You aren't going to find a ton of pro ready day one impact players in the draft. Most guys take minimum half season to adjust to the pro game. It's nice when they don't, but it's hardly common. He's not making glaring errors and is making a few plays. I'm Ok with that at this point.

That’s because he sucked to hard to start last year and rode the bench. Nothing impressive about this kid. Like I said I wish this FO would give up on 1st rounders. They have been awful.
Good gravy...the dude was a rookie last year who was hurt. He's still ONLY in his second year, still learning the speed and nuances of his position and the game in general. So glad you're not coaching this team, LMFAO

RockinHawks

Reaction score
kf3339":iqqsunsx said:
If we had taken DK in the low 1st and LJ in the the low 2nd round no one would be this down on the kid at this point. My only real issue was an entitlement attitude he gave off this last off-season.

I don't care about draft position after he signed his rookie contract. Now it's about his play and learning progression. He didn't help himself by getting hurt and being a healthy scratch is many games last year, but that doesn't matter now.

This year he is starting and holding his own. I wouldn't say he is a difference maker, but also not a major liability. Pass rush is something that takes time to learn at this level. Very few first and second year players come in and tear the league up with QB sacks and pressures. He is also playing the 5T position which is more about run defense than QB pressure. I don't know yet what we have in him, but willing to give him some time to learn and grow into the position.

Personally, I hope he ends up being a dominant DE in both the run and pass. That would be great for us, and possibly calm some of you who want to chase players off this team who don't measure up to your expectations. That is where we have a defensive oriented HC who knows a lot more than any of us. Thank God!
This. 100%

The fact that he's made a handful of plays among a depleted/gutted defense speaks volumes.

hawk45

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3jedzuvv said:
Spin Doctor":3jedzuvv said:
JAG, rotational player that doesn't really accel at anything.

Harsh, considering that he was a college all-star who spent last year recovering from an injury and has been flashing redshirt-rookie moments of brilliance this year.
As a description of his play this year it seems pretty accurate. He can improve of course.

He’s made one single conspicuously good play. To me it’s overstating it to categorize him as having multiple brilliant plays. Brilliant plays tend to be noticeable. Maybe he’s doing a solid job with his assignments, but that’s a rotational player.

What it looks like when a player flashes is Amadi or Neal IMO. Actually Amadi is straight consistently good at this point and Neal is a better example of flashing.

sc85sis

Reaction score
We don't know what LJ’s responsibility has been because we aren't in the meetings. He could be playing brilliantly based on his assignments, but we have no way of knowing that. Fans tend to look for splash plays only. That’s short-sighted.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RCATES":39ifekp9 said:
Mad Dog":39ifekp9 said:

"I keep picking cars that fall apart, so I'm going to bike fifty miles to work every day from now on."

I love this logic.

toffee

Reaction score
Let send positive vibes and comments to our boy Collier. If he can become somewhat of a force, ie occasionally teams have to double on him, our defense will vastly improve.

I shall stop picking on him til off season.

Go Collier.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
sc85sis":2p7z82t9 said:
We don't know what LJ’s responsibility has been because we aren't in the meetings. He could be playing brilliantly based on his assignments, but we have no way of knowing that. Fans tend to look for splash plays only. That’s short-sighted.
Agree.

5 tech typically sets edge of the line and eats blocks, channeling plays to the inside. If LBs are clean and make tackles for short gains he's doing his job.

Red Bryant was arguably a fantastic 5T in Pete's defense without making a ton of "splash".

He's basically a red-shirt rookie, albeit a more mature one. I'm still willing to give him a chance while his skills and opportunities continue to grow.

Rat

Reaction score
sc85sis":9cfum4me said:
If he has been brilliant, it’s odd nobody has said anything. Pete tends to be effusive with praise for his young players.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
No question it has been a struggle for Collier since the draft. This is really his first year. That's the probelm...this is his last rookie deal year. From my perspective he is progressing, making steady progress. I'm satisfied with that for him. However, we're in a dogfight of a season and we really need more at that position than he seems able to give at this time. Maybe Snacks will help with that and give Collier a better chance to come along at his own pace. In any case he is showing signs of life as a legit NFL player. Give him time, but in the meantime find guys who are ready to deal with the immediate challenge we face. Seems that is exactly what the FO is trying to do. If Colliers progress doesn't invoke a feeling that he is going to be a stalwart for next year we might need to be looking for a different solution.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm rooting for Collier; he's on the team.

Brilliance? For one play. I divide that play by the number of snaps he's taken and that's how much weight I assign to it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Appyhawk":170ogws0 said:
No question it has been a struggle for Collier since the draft. This is really his first year. That's the probelm...this is his last rookie deal year. From my perspective he is progressing, making steady progress. I'm satisfied with that for him. However, we're in a dogfight of a season and we really need more at that position than he seems able to give at this time. Maybe Snacks will help with that and give Collier a better chance to come along at his own pace. In any case he is showing signs of life as a legit NFL player. Give him time, but in the meantime find guys who are ready to deal with the immediate challenge we face. Seems that is exactly what the FO is trying to do. If Colliers progress doesn't invoke a feeling that he is going to be a stalwart for next year we might need to be looking for a different solution.
Aren't first round rookies on 5-year deals? This is only his second season.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
rcaido":3p1m1guk said:
Spin Doctor":3p1m1guk said:
ivotuk":3p1m1guk said:
toffee":3p1m1guk said:

Except he didn't even make the tackle. Adams is the one that squared up on Newton, and ultimately made the tackle. Collier came in at the end for an assist. You all are overstating his contribution on that particular play. Wagner set up the play, and Adams blew through two guys, to square up and tackle Newton. Collier did his job that play, but he wasn't the one that made the play. He was the third most impressive player on that particular play.

RCATES

Reaction score
RockinHawks":w7fmmchk said:
RCATES":w7fmmchk said:
Mad Dog":w7fmmchk said:

Good gravy...the dude was a rookie last year who was hurt. He's still ONLY in his second year, still learning the speed and nuances of his position and the game in general. So glad you're not coaching this team, LMFAO

All that shit went out the door when this front office drafted him as a first round talent. He has no business going anywhere higher then a 4th. That’s the problem. Maybe stop having such low expectations and hold those in control accountable. WA voters in a nutshell.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":224twa8f said:
rcaido":224twa8f said:
Spin Doctor":224twa8f said:
ivotuk":224twa8f said:

Except he didn't even make the tackle. Adams is the one that squared up on Newton, and ultimately made the tackle. Collier came in at the end for an assist. You all are overstating his contribution on that particular play. Wagner set up the play, and Adams blew through two guys, to square up and tackle Newton. Collier did his job that play, but he wasn't the one that made the play. He was the third most impressive player on that particular play.

You obviously don't remember the play at all.

It wasn't Adams it was Hill.

Hill didn't blow through 2 guys, it was one, & square up to make the tackle, he actually somehow got turned around & was on his hands & knees while the guys was trying to block him which is kinda the opposite of "squaring up".

Collier beat his man pretty cleanly & filled the hole, along with Hill getting a good backwards push on his man, & took Newton out at the knees with a textbook tackle. I don't think Hill even touched him although his push did have a huge impact on the play.

It actually took 3 guys, all doing their job correctly, to make that stop & they were all impressive given the situation.

Other than that you're analysis was spot on.

toffee

Reaction score
Hey Collier is improving game by game.