Mariners ‘19-‘20 offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1d33l9q7 said:
FalconsFanNW":1d33l9q7 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1d33l9q7 said:
End of May? Ms should be 12 games back by then.

Most likely. I still think they are a team that will be making some noise soon.
Likely 2021 when the young studs are all up together (see Kelenic and friends) but they are going to somehow come up with some quality arms or it will all be for not.

Sports Hernia":1d33l9q7 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1d33l9q7 said:
IMHO obtaining quality arms is going to be the monumental task at hand.

Reminds me of my days in Georgia growing up a Braves fan... garbage team for the mid/late 80's... Tom Glavine comes up along with Steve Avery and the Braves traded for a young pitcher in '87 named John Smoltz.

It all came together in 1991. Picking Maddux up in free agency in 1992 was icing on the cake.

I've seen this before. It all begins with quality arms. I think the Mariners do have a long term plan in place and I agree 2021 might be a good year.

sutz

Reaction score
I was in Southern Cal during the 90's when the Angels went through a similar pattern. They were buying high-priced older free agents to put butts in the seats while not really having a plan in place to build a decent farm system for long term success. In fact, they were trading away prospects for veterans that were good players, but not really long term answers. M's fans will recognize the pattern, it's what has been happening over the last 10-15 years. It leaves the team doing 'well' but always dancing on the edge of the playoffs, winning a lot of games but never quite good enough.

DiPoto seems to have a long term outlook, and ownership seems to be giving him some time to work the plan. There are never any guarantees in sports, but at least it looks like there is a real plan in place. Not sure I'll live long enough to see the fruits of it, but some of these young guys look really exciting to watch play.

getnasty

Reaction score
This might be the worst injury I've ever seen. I really felt like Mitch had a chance to be something special and maybe still does, hopefully he can get healthy.

sutz

Reaction score
Divish on our top 5 prospects.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... ects-list/

Led by Julio Rodriguez, the Mariners have five players in Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects list

Two years ago, Kyle Lewis stood as the Mariners’ lone prospect worthy of high-level recognition by those who measure such things, specifically Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects in baseball. The Mariners’ farm system was so threadbare that it was considered the worst of the 30 teams in baseball by Baseball America and other outlets.

The ignominy of that situation led General Manager Jerry Dipoto and Director of Player Development Andy McKay to downplay the importance and validity of it all.

“I do respect Baseball America a lot,” McKay said at the time. “I don’t read it. I haven’t read it since I’ve been involved in professional baseball. The rankings in general, you look at what that job is, and it’s evaluate what happens in the past and predict what’s going to happen in the future. It’s not just really information I care a whole lot about, to be honest with you.”

But thanks to the organization’s step-back plan, which featured multiple trades of established players for prospects, and the last three amateur drafts under Scott Hunter, the team’s director of amateur scouting, those rankings might have a little more meaning to the Mariners.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I have been a M's fan from the start and those were some
horrible teams but I can remember the Dome being full
and still remember the "Rupe" chants (Ruppert Jones)
We always had some really good players but never
enough as big money teams bought more..
You would think in today's era it should be easier with
a luxury tax but doesn't seem to be...I hope this rebuild
is done correctly and ends the years of nothing.
I haven't gave up but I understand those who have it
gets hard to support garbage.
I love the game so that isn't going to change.
I got to see the Cubs end their years of nothing and I
would love to see the M's do it as well.

Maulbert

Reaction score
sutz":3ryb8ukj said:
Divish on our top 5 prospects.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... ects-list/

Led by Julio Rodriguez, the Mariners have five players in Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects list

Two years ago, Kyle Lewis stood as the Mariners’ lone prospect worthy of high-level recognition by those who measure such things, specifically Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects in baseball. The Mariners’ farm system was so threadbare that it was considered the worst of the 30 teams in baseball by Baseball America and other outlets.

The ignominy of that situation led General Manager Jerry Dipoto and Director of Player Development Andy McKay to downplay the importance and validity of it all.

“I do respect Baseball America a lot,” McKay said at the time. “I don’t read it. I haven’t read it since I’ve been involved in professional baseball. The rankings in general, you look at what that job is, and it’s evaluate what happens in the past and predict what’s going to happen in the future. It’s not just really information I care a whole lot about, to be honest with you.”

But thanks to the organization’s step-back plan, which featured multiple trades of established players for prospects, and the last three amateur drafts under Scott Hunter, the team’s director of amateur scouting, those rankings might have a little more meaning to the Mariners.

I can't wait to see them flounder with us and/or become perennial all-stars somwhere else.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Does it have to be every post, Maulbert?

Your feelings in the Ms are clear and documented. And noknes arguing the past or present. But there are folks interested in the future. Can they just post for discussion purposes without a snide and negative comment distracting from it?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
IndyHawk":b10z9aq4 said:
I have been a M's fan from the start and those were some
horrible teams but I can remember the Dome being full
and still remember the "Rupe" chants (Ruppert Jones)
We always had some really good players but never
enough as big money teams bought more..
You would think in today's era it should be easier with
a luxury tax but doesn't seem to be...I hope this rebuild
is done correctly and ends the years of nothing.
I haven't gave up but I understand those who have it
gets hard to support garbage.
I love the game so that isn't going to change.
I got to see the Cubs end their years of nothing and I
would love to see the M's do it as well.

Same for me.. I remember my season tickets as a kid were in a book, all color coded, like you'd buy from high school athletes fund raising for their sport.

There's a lot of good young players coming up. Very interested to see who the Ms choose to keep and whom they trade to get these big free agent signings that are on the horizon.. and when that happens.

I thought they might add one or two big names over the winter meetings.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":2wrruyye said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1222214532971597827[/tweet]
As a M’s fan from day one, at this point I’d probably take it and go to the “awarded” WS parade. 8)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":b55ir9a8 said:
bevellisthedevil":b55ir9a8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1222214532971597827[/tweet]
As a M’s fan from day one, at this point I’d probably take it and go to the “awarded” WS parade. 8)
I'd definately try to fly out there just to be a part of that..
That would be so awesome.

2_0_6

Reaction score
For the first time in the 10 years I have worked at my employer, we has chosen not to renew his package of 6 season tickets. Going to be LOTS of open seats this summer

SSH

Reaction score
Let me save the M's fans some time.

The hype train will start in spring like this team is turning a new page. They'll alocate money to a position that doesn't need it, then tade away any good prospect for another redundant player. PR teams will overhype the crap out Of a failed mess to sell tickets/merch to unsuspecting rubes. Finally, The Mariners will look good for the first month, then play sub-par baseball the rest of the season. Culminating in another pitiful playoffless finish.

That's Mariners baseball. There is no reason to watch or entertain this team whatsoever. Watch a leaky faucet instead, just as eventful (maybe more so).

They have to be one of the worst professonal franchises in all of sports. A culture of mediocrity and losing runs deep with this team. Can we trade the whole team for a large pizza (or anything else remotely good or useable)?

:D

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
SSH":bkq6a5hr said:

The hype train will start in spring like this team is turning a new page. They'll alocate money to a position that doesn't need it, then tade away any good prospect for another redundant player. PR teams will overhype the crap out Of a failed mess to sell tickets/merch to unsuspecting rubes. Finally, The Mariners will look good for the first month, then play sub-par baseball the rest of the season. Culminating in another pitiful playoffless finish.

That's Mariners baseball. There is no reason to watch or entertain this team whatsoever. Watch a leaky faucet instead, just as eventful (maybe more so).

They have to be one of the worst professonal franchises in all of sports. A culture of mediocrity and losing runs deep with this team. Can we trade the whole team for a large pizza (or anything else remotely good or useable)?

They are definitely the worst MLB franchise, and you can probably make a case for them being the worst sports franchise. Never been to a WS. Made playoffs like 4 times in 40+ years. Just a terribly ran franchise.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2rr3nx1p said:
SSH":2rr3nx1p said:

They are definitely the worst MLB franchise, and you can probably make a case for them being the worst sports franchise. Never been to a WS. Made playoffs like 4 times in 40+ years. Just a terribly ran franchise.
Agree, a total joke of a franchise and definitely one of the absolute worst in the history of North American pro sports. I watch them only because A) it's summer and there's little else to watch and B) they're a Seattle team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts