My vision of play

Chawker

Reaction score
The 2024 Seattle Seahawks need to play a more "controlling type of football", this doesn't mean they need to lead the league in all categorys, rather just play good solid football. Each game is an opportunity to be won and by mid season things will start to show there hard work will pay off.
Teams aren't going to run our asses over this year with the run, no no mont chery ! And when they try to pass on us we'll fix there little red wagon and turn it into a pick 6.
If our offense had that mid pack defense in 2023 we'd easily seen a play-off game here in Seattle.

I'm fired up for this season, GO MAC GO!

Cheers

SeaWolv

Reaction score
The Hawks were ranked #12 in offensive DVOA and #28 in defensive DVOA. I'd be ok with a small incremental improvement on offense like #10 but my big hope is to see that #28 go to #16 or better next season.

Last edited:

Hawknight

Reaction score
I'm excited as well for this Winds of Change...breathe of fresh air finally, with no disrespect meant towards Pete at all. Teams over the years seemed to IMHO have Pete figured out, nothing surprised them any longer. I think Mac will change that, for now, and our opponents will have to replan to figure out how to play against whatever Mac has in store...exciting times for sure.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I want to see 2 things each from the offense & the defense...

On offense, I'd like to see more plays down the middle, and I want to see the TE's get more involved.

On defense, it's all about communication and adjustments. I'd like to see those 11 guys all on the same page, knowing what to do and where to be. And when things aren't going to plan, I want to see how MM adjusts the gameplan.

And I have an optimistic feeling that we're gonna see all this under Grubb and Macdonald.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I got 3 things..

Better offensive line play and more consistent. Can't do much about injuries I know but I think adding George Fant as a swing tackle was a nice get. It equals less Forsythe/Curhan. Interior really is a big ? considering all the new bodies. Hopefully they figure it out and it gets a lot better than recently.

I really believe the oline was a big part of the reason why our rushing YPC took a big step back and troubles on 3rd down / red zone.

Better tackling in the defensive backfield. Hopefully that will be much better considering a lot of the guilty ones are no longer here.

Better run defense.

We improve those three things and I think this team will be a lot less up and down / streaky.

morgulon1

Reaction score
The Hawks were ranked #12 in offensive DVOA and #28 in defensive DVOA. I'd be ok with a small incremental improvement on offense like #10 but my big hope is to see that #28 go to #16 or better next season.
#12 offense is pretty good IMHO. If they could get the #28 defense to #16 like you said, they're going to the playoffs.
Heck, maybe even if they only get to 19 or 20 but someone told me the Seahawks new coach is a wizard of violence and I don't think he'll stop until they're #1.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
#12 offense is pretty good IMHO. If they could get the #28 defense to #16 like you said, they're going to the playoffs.
Heck, maybe even if they only get to 19 or 20 but someone told me the Seahawks new coach is a wizard of violence and I don't think he'll stop until they're #1.
I would not be upset with a #19 in defensive DVOA next season. I said #16 because I hope they can get into the top half of the league defensively sooner than later. No doubt MM is shooting for #1 and I have a feeling he'll get us there in a couple of seasons, if not then it'll be dang close.

GemCity

Reaction score
Great thread. This off-season has generated a ton of excitement.

I think both our offense and defense will rise (rank wise).

Defensively, I’m wondering who is going to step up and lead? Captain duties if you will. Usually, the MLB is out there calling everything. Perhaps Big Cat? Spoon?

So much to look forward to….everything is brand…spanking…new!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I love the energy and the newness! So onboard with it all. Reasons for optimism on offense include our stable of playmakers, and we know Geno can get the ball out with accuracy. Our new defensive-oriented coaches should make strides on that side of the ball, since the only direction to really go is up.

At the same time, my hopes are strongly tempered by the fear that Pete may have been better at making something out of nothing than most coaches, and that our 7-9/9-7 records demonstrate success most coaches may not be able to get out of the same group of players. Did we overachieve? If so, this could be a tough year.

Of course, we all hope MM (and staff) is (are) able to move the team beyond the barely-winning records. Here's hoping we don't become the Browns.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I have no expectations, and don't really care about our record this year. I just want to see good progress being made on both sides of the ball. Should be entertaining.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Is it possible to see good progress on both sides of the ball and not have a better record, especially considering the 2024 schedule?

samwize77

Reaction score
Hope always springs eternal. I always have hope this time of year. Its always exciting to think of the possibilities that could come.
I temper that hope within the confines of reality however........
And I also remind myself it doesn't matter what happens because, ladies and gentlemen, its our Seattle Seahawks, and win, lose or draw........I'm gonna have me some fun!!!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Is it possible to see good progress on both sides of the ball and not have a better record, especially considering the 2024 schedule?
The answer to that question is yes. That happened in Pete's first two years. The record was the same (not including playoffs), but the point differential improved by about 100 points from year 1 to year 2.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
At the same time, my hopes are strongly tempered by the fear that Pete may have been better at making something out of nothing than most coaches, and that our 7-9/9-7 records demonstrate success most coaches may not be able to get out of the same group of players. Did we overachieve? If so, this could be a tough year.

Of course, we all hope MM (and staff) is (are) able to move the team beyond the barely-winning records. Here's hoping we don't become the Browns.
That was true at the beginning of his tenure here, he found people who didn't fit the conventional mold and gave them the opportunity to grow together into something bigger. But he made some mistakes, and things got stale.

I think you're going to find Mike Macdonald to be just as adept at out-of-the-box thinking as Pete was. I wouldn't worry about becoming the Browns.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I think you're going to find Mike Macdonald to be just as adept at out-of-the-box thinking as Pete was. I wouldn't worry about becoming the Browns.
This^^^^^

Probably more so. Pete was creative his 1st several years, but became discernable the last 5 or so. His teams were better than the mediocre 8-8 that were so boring (sans tez) in the 90's...but not good enought to compete with the changes to scheme in the league. Top that with the mistakes (e.g. bad trades and his treatment of #3)...the culture sunk faster and further than I knew at the time.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'm excited as well for this Winds of Change...breathe of fresh air finally, with no disrespect meant towards Pete at all. Teams over the years seemed to IMHO have Pete figured out, nothing surprised them any longer. I think Mac will change that, for now, and our opponents will have to replan to figure out how to play against whatever Mac has in store...exciting times for sure.
Good post! I agree. As I have said many times, I love Pete but could see that his defensive plan had stagnated into a passive style of play. My idea is to make defense an offence in schematic style so that you dictate play, as opposed to playing a reactionary scheme. IMO playing reactionary defense is an automatic loss by giving the offense advantage it does not automatically deserve just because they control the snap. Forcing their offense to react to your defense levels the game in your favor.
One of my favorite coach bytes was/is "if they cant score they can't beat you".
I see Mac as a defensive coach who is offensive minded.