Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
After these trades these last few weeks....what’s our farm system ranked now. I know we were second to last before

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Here’s an article that breaks down the author’s op why the M’s may have really missed the mark in cashing in on Díaz. https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/12/1 ... diaz-trade

The fact expensive Leake has been linked with Segura leads credence to the argument this was all ownership mandated to save money instead of truly maximizing full rebuild talent return. Was losing out on getting 4-5 prospects the way the Braves got for Kimbrel, worth saving only appx 1/2 of Cano’s deal? Is this really a rebuild or just an ownership direction to strip payroll with no intention of signing big FAs in 3 years? I’m glad we got rid of Cano and I like Kelinic and Dunn but perhaps we could’ve done even better.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":pkt1w59p said:
Guys over at Lookout Landing really like the 3 Mets prospects being considered in the deal, FWIW
I really really like the #3 prospect the 19 year old outfielder, and the #4 prospect the pitcher. Even if the rest of the 3 just turn out to be thrown ins, I think the M’s are getting a good haul.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":p2g4c0cl said:
Here’s an article that breaks down the author’s op why the M’s may have really missed the mark in cashing in on Díaz. https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/12/1 ... diaz-trade

The fact expensive Leake has been linked with Segura leads credence to the argument this was all ownership mandated to save money instead of truly maximizing full rebuild talent return. Was losing out on getting 4-5 prospects the way the Padres got for Kimbrel, worth saving only appx 1/2 of Cano’s deal? Is this really a rebuild or just an ownership direction to strip payroll with no intention of signing big FAs in 3 years? I’m glad we got rid of Cano and I like Kelinic and Dunn but perhaps we could’ve done even better.
I’m the rare breed that thinks that a closers value is SEVERELY over-valued.
I think the trade the M’s blew was not getting enough from the yanks for Pax.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":27rq4t7k said:

The fact expensive Leake has been linked with Segura leads credence to the argument this was all ownership mandated to save money instead of truly maximizing full rebuild talent return. Was losing out on getting 4-5 prospects the way the Braves got for Kimbrel, worth saving only appx 1/2 of Cano’s deal? Is this really a rebuild or just an ownership direction to strip payroll with no intention of signing big FAs in 3 years? I’m glad we got rid of Cano and I like Kelinic and Dunn but perhaps we could’ve done even better.

If you reak this trade up into two it looks better:

Diaz for Kelenic, Dunn and Bautista isnt a steal, but 2 top 100 prospects is solid return for a relief pitcher

getnasty

Reaction score
M's need to keep unloading, at this point I don't see why you don't get rid of everybody.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
getnasty":388agsi7 said:
M's need to keep unloading, at this point I don't see why you don't get rid of everybody.

Sounds like Segura, Healy (maybe) and Leake are next.

Hopefully Seager, for whatever you can get.

getnasty

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":35dl89xt said:
I won’t be happy with 100 mil payroll. Spend money.

I'm fine with it for a couple of years but when it's time to spend then let's spend.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":1nclrytj said:
Trade Haniger for 5 prospects
You don’t trade him at this point unless you get a deal you cannot refuse. Another great year and his value goes up even more!

5 prospects don’t mean anything if they all suck. I get the quantity angle but more important is the quality you’d be getting back.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I hope they keep Segura and Haniger, I don't see the point in completely starting a clean slate. Segura is an elite shortstop....

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Segura for Crawford seems like nothing in return. For some one of segura production. He’s not Felix for crying aloud.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Q13FOX/status/1069487805582200832[/tweet]

And it might be true. But why should I believe anything anyone has to say?

I mean, this past July, Jerry Dipoto and Scott Servais were both given contract extensions, being rewarded for a job well done when the job itself wasn’t complete.

Just look at the statement from team president Kevin Mather: “Jerry arrived here two and a half years ago with a specific plan for our franchise. He has successfully executed that plan...”

Just five months later, that same GM is blowing it all up. They’re admitting in front of all of us that that “specific plan” failed. Sure, they had a more successful team, but didn’t even reach the playoffs. So now they’re going a completely different direction?

Two weeks ago, Dipoto called 2019 a year “we step back, hoping to take two (steps) forward.” Which means they’re waiving the white flag for next year and probably the next two seasons in the hopes - the HOPES – that they can build something the right way.

I’m sorry, but I’ve seen this story before. Maybe not a total burn-it-all-down-build-it-back-up plan, but the “watch this group grow” around Dustin Ackley and Justin Smoak plan. The Mariners Fan Fest specifically built around “The Big Three,” Hultzen and Paxton and Walker, and Jesus Montero one year later.

You might be excited about getting Jarred Kelenic, but a reminder that he’s just 19 years old. A reminder that the Mariners’ track record of developing young prospects is significantly below the Mendoza line. In fact, who else have they developed in the recent past, aside from Kyle Seager and Edwin Diaz?

To me, it’s a different regime with the same old rhetoric. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me six, seven, eight times in 18 years? Shame on me – shame on all of us.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Phillies fans seem thrilled by the trade. Pretty openly hate Santana and Crawford is very raw. The prospects they get will help measure this trade because right now, Segura was traded for nothing, in his prime.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Its not like he can say "tearing it down... what do you guys want?"

The Paxton trade was underwhelming, but still very good prospects. The Colome trade was very good. Zunino trade also good.

Diaz for three good players also a solid return. Cano for Bruce saves money, gives the team a vet they can trade at the deadline.

Segura for Crawford on its own is a good deal if the team is rebuilding. They get Santana, who like Bruce, can net something later on. Crawford is far more than "raw" and has the potential to streak by Segura's ceiling. He got hurt last year in his call up so numbers are low. Sounds like Gamel might be the vet going to philly as well to net that prospect.

These arent flashy deals. But the Ms are now a mid 70s win team rather than mid 80s with millions in salary saved, a mess of talented players and flexibility to continue building that core.

This is all about 2020-21... and its not a terrible start. Hernandez will be off the books. Seager will be gone and there will be both lots of cash and lots of good young players. Houston just did this. Milwaukee as well. Oakland every 5 years

The team they fielded last year was not going to pass Houston and would struggle to keep up with Oakland. Thos had to happen.

Yes they are giving up on 2019 for the most part. But i like that the team has potential to remain relevant while being patient for a year.

Latest posts