Mariners 2019 season

sutz

Reaction score
Sheffield leaves with the lead after 5. Chance to log his first win. Could use a few more runs, though.

Would love to pad the score by a couple.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Players we saw toward the end of the season that certainly showed promise for the next couple years:

Long
Lewis
Dunn
Sheffield
Nola
Lopes
Murphy
Narvaez
Tuivala

Marco had a solid year too and I would give Murphy and Narvaez the co-mvps for the team this year. Both are very solid pure hitters. I hope Domingo is healthy next year although he may not be in the long term plans.

I’m not sure about Crawford down the road. We’ll have to see but he’s just never had any real success or consistency as a hitter at the minor league level. And Vogelbach has a lot of work to do. He was pulling his head badly on most breaking pitches and he needs to step up his aggressiveness in his approach at the plate. We saw him take way too many good fastballs for strikes, seemingly looking for a walk too often. He had a disastrous 2nd half.

It’ll be interesting to see what Jerry may do this offseason.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2gn8uq15 said:
Players we saw toward the end of the season that certainly showed promise for the next couple years:

Long
Lewis
Dunn
Sheffield
Nola
Lopes
Murphy
Narvaez
Tuivala

Marco had a solid year too and I would give Murphy and Narvaez the co-mvps for the team this year. Both are very solid pure hitters. I hope Domingo is healthy next year although he may not be in the long term plans.

I’m not sure about Crawford down the road. We’ll have to see but he’s just never had any real success or consistency as a hitter at the minor league level. And Vogelbach has a lot of work to do. He was pulling his head badly on most breaking pitches and he needs to step up his aggressiveness in his approach at the plate. We saw him take way too many good fastballs for strikes, seemingly looking for a walk too often. He had a disastrous 2nd half.

I was really disappointed in Vogey's 2nd half. Really thought he'd turned a corner but definite regression as you mentioned.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, Vogey was a major disappointment in the 2d half. He's a league average 1B at best, and he's not enough of a pure hitter to be a decent DH. Love the kid, but his 2d half production was very replaceable. Throw in that he's out of options and I don't really see him being around much longer.

Good list, though and right up there. I suspect the win total might go up in 2020, though the playoffs will probably still be out of reach.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I can proudly say I didn’t watch more than a few minutes of the Mariners since the all star break. Franchise is that awful.

Hopefully the young guys pan out, sounds like some of them finished the season nicely. What are we thinking, two more seasons until we can actually contend?

Maulbert

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":vfhn3355 said:

Long
Lewis
Dunn
Sheffield
Nola
Lopes
Murphy
Narvaez
Tuivala

Can't wait to see how the Mariners squander that talent.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2o8cx6c5 said:
I can proudly say I didn’t watch more than a few minutes of the Mariners since the all star break. Franchise is that awful.

Hopefully the young guys pan out, sounds like some of them finished the season nicely. What are we thinking, two more seasons until we can actually contend?

One more. Should see more progress and even some FA targets through next year.

The plan was to be good in 2021, while the Astros and As take a step back

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Maulbert":2r15nxqn said:
West TX Hawk":2r15nxqn said:

Long
Lewis
Dunn
Sheffield
Nola
Lopes
Murphy
Narvaez
Tuivala

You know I could come back at you with some shit about being positive, and this is a new situation, and, and, and, but the fact is it'll be a huge surprise if they don't squander it so carry on.

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1x64xgqe said:
Maulbert":1x64xgqe said:
West TX Hawk":1x64xgqe said:

Long
Lewis
Dunn
Sheffield
Nola
Lopes
Murphy
Narvaez
Tuivala

You know I could come back at you with some shit about being positive, and this is a new situation, and, and, and, but the fact is it'll be a huge surprise if they don't squander it so carry on.

I'm just done. The Mariners have given nothing to the fans for near on 20 years, and little before that, and they threw a hissy fit when Chris Hansen was trying to do something for the city. They don't deserve my loyalty. I'm sick of their shit.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":66pu26sv said:
hawksfansinceday1":66pu26sv said:
Maulbert":66pu26sv said:
West TX Hawk":66pu26sv said:

Long
Lewis
Dunn
Sheffield
Nola
Lopes
Murphy
Narvaez
Tuivala

I'm just done. The Mariners have given nothing to the fans for near on 20 years, and little before that, and they threw a hissy fit when Chris Hansen was trying to do something for the city. They don't deserve my loyalty. I'm sick of their shit.
I think you are 100% justified in your stance and everything you stated is true.
I’m almost at that point BUT I think they are going to have a great team coming around the corner in 2021.
I’m a huge baseball fan, and it sucks that the ownership/FO of team I root for hasn’t cared about winning as much as I do over the past 20 years. I think this time is different with the minor league talent they have. If I’m wrong and it turns out to be the same old shit then I will be done as well.

I used to go to 20-25 games a year, now if go to 1 every 2 years that’s a lot.
I used to but M’s gear all of the time, I haven’t bought anything on the last 10 years.

I’ve voiced my displeasure with my wallet by the lack of $$$ coming out of it and into their coffers.