Mariners 21-22 offseason thread...

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
balakoth":1tg7d7h4 said:
Sports Hernia":1tg7d7h4 said:
My biggest fear with the Braves winning the WS is that Seattle’s ownership thinks “we’re good” and don’t have to spend $$$ this off-season because our 90 wins were 2 more that Atlanta and they won the World Series. That would be so “Mariner”.

Serious question for you

Why does everyone keep passing over Toro... Third is his natural position, isn't he a pretty decent candidate to start there vs spending money on one?
Probably because Toro is not as good at the plate as other FAs available. Corner infield is one of those positions where you sacrifice a little defensive skill for production at the plate, and generally that means power.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
balakoth":30ugktga said:
Sports Hernia":30ugktga said:
My biggest fear with the Braves winning the WS is that Seattle’s ownership thinks “we’re good” and don’t have to spend $$$ this off-season because our 90 wins were 2 more that Atlanta and they won the World Series. That would be so “Mariner”.

Serious question for you

Why does everyone keep passing over Toro... Third is his natural position, isn't he a pretty decent candidate to start there vs spending money on one?
IMHO, he was great when he first came over then fizzled. I think he’d be a great off the bench bat.
I don’t think he can reach Seaver’s HR/RBI totals at least at this point in his career. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong?

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
I know a lot of you all hate him, but squeezing 90 wins out of that group was a pretty decent job:

254991767_10159739109553979_2543712388561300487_n.jpg

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Nah Scott is a solid Manager. Most fans of any sport usually blame the coach.

The mariners are going all in. I can not wait.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2ez65o44 said:

They say they are, they need to stop talking about it and do it.
If they do, good things will happen.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ogtgkd2 said:
Shanegotyou11":1ogtgkd2 said:

Semien or story will be here.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":j6veyblx said:
Sports Hernia":j6veyblx said:
Shanegotyou11":j6veyblx said:

Semien or story will be here.
That would be a great start. Also need high quality starting pitching.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Dipoto living up to the hype…so stoked the M’s got a “super utility” player…

Playoffs here we come.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
According to these guys, he'll play 2d base as an upgrade over Toro.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1535299/ ... OJkczG-Ahk

The left-handed hitter brings versatility in that he can also play left field, and Frazier possesses tremendous contact skills that Dipoto highly values. While he hit just five home runs in 2021, Frazier ranked in the 98th percentile in strikeout and whiff percentage last season while slashing .305/.368/.411 (.779 OPS) and recording a 3.5 fWAR.

Adding a consistant .300 hitter would be a big boost to our lineup. And they're not done, if they do land a FA middle infielder, he can go the utility route.

While not the centerpiece acquisition Mariners fans are hoping to see this winter, the Frazier move is a start, and one that appears to be more for the short-term as he will become a free agent at the end of the 2022 season. For the moment he slots into second base, an upgrade over Abraham Toro, who is still learning the position. Should Dipoto land one of the prime infield free agents, Frazier could become a utility player and likely see more action as part of an outfield/designated hitter rotation.

I see it as a decent add. Not an allstar, maybe, but a solid contributor. Every team needs some of those guys, too. It looks like Frazier hits better than the bottom half of our lineup, for average, at least.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":27kdqxsj said:
Dipoto living up to the hype…so stoked the M’s got a “super utility” player…

Playoffs here we come.

It was a great get. 1 of 3 gets.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I often found myself saying…self, the Mariners really need to trade for a utility infielder to replace the utility infielder they just traded for…

Now maybe they trade for a SS to replace the young and upcoming SS they already have…maybe put him in the outfield.
Maybe they can take a 2nd baseman and let him play 3rd. At this point they can go with 7 utility players and just rotate them through the infield and outfield.

Sorry but after 21 season’s of playoff futility this doesn’t move the needle for me. But time will tell

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":11qkmo6w said:
I often found myself saying…self, the Mariners really need to trade for a utility infielder to replace the utility infielder they just traded for…

Now maybe they trade for a SS to replace the young and upcoming SS they already have…maybe put him in the outfield.
Maybe they can take a 2nd baseman and let him play 3rd. At this point they can go with 7 utility players and just rotate them through the infield and outfield.

Sorry but after 21 season’s of playoff futility this doesn’t move the needle for me. But time will tell
I think this guy is more than a utility guy, but I get, and agree with your point.
The “hey, we tried” “and nobody is more disappointed then us” excuses after failing to land quality players won’t cut it anymore.

This is a poop or get of the pot situation for the front office and ownership group.
They are uncomfortable in getting in bidding wars with the big boy clubs but they are going to have to outbid them one or 2 times and land some quality FA’s.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Guys, guys, guys. Free agency all around the league is stagnant, because players, agents, and teams are scared of what is coming in the labor talks. If there is a lockout, and that seems pretty likely right now, deals that look good right now could look a lot worse after the CBA is finally agreed on.

On a normal year, yeah, FAs would be flying off the shelf and teams would be wheeling and dealing like crazy leading up to the winter meeting next month. As it is, not much is happening and there isn't really that many rumors out there about impending deals. I know everybody is worried about 'same old Mariners' and all, but we need to give it some time for things to shake out.

Hard to be patient, I know, but there isn't much else we can do right now. We got delayed a year by covid, it looks like we're gonna be delayed a few more months by labor troubles.

:snack:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":3fvz5lf6 said:
Guys, guys, guys. Free agency all around the league is stagnant, because players, agents, and teams are scared of what is coming in the labor talks. If there is a lockout, and that seems pretty likely right now, deals that look good right now could look a lot worse after the CBA is finally agreed on.

On a normal year, yeah, FAs would be flying off the shelf and teams would be wheeling and dealing like crazy leading up to the winter meeting next month. As it is, not much is happening and there isn't really that many rumors out there about impending deals. I know everybody is worried about 'same old Mariners' and all, but we need to give it some time for things to shake out.

Hard to be patient, I know, but there isn't much else we can do right now. We got delayed a year by covid, it looks like we're gonna be delayed a few more months by labor troubles.

Agree with much of what you said, but teams are still getting deals done, just not at the usual pace but some deals are getting done. Also wouldn’t it be a great time to be aggressive? If other teams are holding back = less competition, right?

I fear, fear of a potential work stoppage or an actual work stoppage will be used as another excuse for any failures to land top talent, even though every team is in the same boat situationally.

PS. baseball owners and Rob Manfred are nuts if their is a lockout.
Horrible timing as we are now just starting to come out of a pandemic.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3l9vmzd9 said:
sutz":3l9vmzd9 said:

Agree with much of what you said, but teams are still getting deals done, just not at the usual pace but some deals are getting done. Also wouldn’t it be a great time to be aggressive? If other teams are holding back = less competition, right?

I fear, fear of a potential work stoppage or an actual work stoppage will be used as another excuse for any failures to land top talent, even though every team is in the same boat situationally.

I’m ready for the “ we were in on every FA, but count get it done” jerry presser. It’s ok he will be super excited about the young guys. And owner will be happy putting out a payroll under the tv contract money we get.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":8hure3k9 said:
Sports Hernia":8hure3k9 said:
sutz":8hure3k9 said:

I’m ready for the “ we were in on every FA, but count get it done” jerry presser. It’s ok he will be super excited about the young guys. And owner will be happy putting out a payroll under the tv contract money we get.
I obviously agree, sadly. I really want to be able to trust these guys and for them to prove me and my gut feelings about them wrong.

Latest posts