Matt Patricia

Fade

Reaction score
I posted years ago that Bevell would get 1 more OC job, and that would be all she wrote.

I would like to think this prediction will hold, but this league is extremely scared of hiring new blood, it goes beyond nepotism. It derives from a fear of going out on a limb, and failing in front of the entire world. But without risk there is no reward. So the same retreads continue to get hired based on a deep-rooted, psychological fear, outside of maybe public speaking which is high on the list for most.

Bevell has a decent offensive system, but he is completely oblivious to the opponents personnel and how to exploit it. He just calls his plays based on down and distance and they will work as long as the players execute how it was drawn up. One of the worst Red Zone playcallers of all time. He has a very bad feel for game flow and never really improved on his deficiencies even after all these years.

Maddening to watch Pete stick with such ineptitude for 3 seasons too long.

Schotty is light years ahead of Bevell, they look to attack weaknesses, consistently has much better opening game scripts, and doesn't get flipped off by his own players when calling plays in the red zone. :D

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Sherm and Shan have been telling the news that Saleh is HC bound soon. Detroit for sure will be a suitor.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":z4n73474 said:
Sherm and Shan have been telling the news that Saleh is HC bound soon. Detroit for sure will be a suitor.

Sherm has been promoting Saleh, rightfully so. Bieniemy is getting the push as well. But don't underestimate the lack of ambition of NFL franchises when it comes to hiring a head coach. I could see them staying with Bevell, or Josh McDaniels.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":vnql43lc said:
Josh McDaniels.

McDaniels (and Eric Mangini) both represent the Patriot Way type of coaching--authoritarian top down, calling guys in front of teammates, nonsensical trivia contests in team meetings.

Ex-Denver TE Nate Jackson wrote at length about them in his 2012 bio "Slow Getting Up." It resonates with what several former Lions players have said about Patricia. They hate the guy. So do the fans, who donated money to Watson's charity to give thanks for Patricia's firing.

It's more likely Sheila Ford Hamp might stick with Bevell if he can pull them to a 7-9. That's what they had under Caldwell. But below that I see them going for Saleh, Bieniemy or even Anthony Lynn if he gets fired from the Chargers.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
A group of Michigan state legislators have sent a letter to Detroit Lions owner Sheila Ford Hamp urging her to hire San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh as the team's next head coach.

Saleh, a native of Dearborn, Michigan, grew up in the state and played college football in the state, and his family has long football ties to Michigan State University and the state's football history.

"We understand the difficulty of these upcoming decisions," the letter reads. "As passionate and loyal Lions fans, we are asking you to hire Robert Saleh as the head coach of our team. He is the best candidate for the job and measures as such across every metric. A head coach like Robert can bring tremendous energy and heart to the franchise and would help us reach peaks that have seemed unobtainable for so long. We have an exceptional opportunity here and we trust you to make the best decision.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/304 ... bert-saleh

KinesProf

Reaction score
chris98251":4v0qakpe said:
having a Party at Bevells house with Tjack .

I get that it's easy to say anything you want from behind the safety of a keyboard, but how about a little class and some respect for the deceased.

chris98251

Reaction score
KinesProf":29ao6uqf said:
chris98251":29ao6uqf said:
having a Party at Bevells house with Tjack .

I get that it's easy to say anything you want from behind the safety of a keyboard, but how about a little class and some respect for the deceased.

Siouxhawk died ?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":22dk9egc said:
Uncle Si":22dk9egc said:
Josh McDaniels.

McDaniels (and Eric Mangini) both represent the Patriot Way type of coaching--authoritarian top down, calling guys in front of teammates, nonsensical trivia contests in team meetings.

Ex-Denver TE Nate Jackson wrote at length about them in his 2012 bio "Slow Getting Up." It resonates with what several former Lions players have said about Patricia. They hate the guy. So do the fans, who donated money to Watson's charity to give thanks for Patricia's firing.

It's more likely Sheila Ford Hamp might stick with Bevell if he can pull them to a 7-9. That's what they had under Caldwell. But below that I see them going for Saleh, Bieniemy or even Anthony Lynn if he gets fired from the Chargers.

I think you missed my point

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2jk81y2a said:
SantaClaraHawk":2jk81y2a said:
Uncle Si":2jk81y2a said:
Josh McDaniels.

I think you missed my point

I addressed it.

They might stay with Bevell if he pulls them to 7-9. Maybe out of the cellar. That's what they did under Caldwell. It's always been the Ford way to prefer people in their inner orbit, and their position (if Bevell does perform to this extent) would be such that they wouldn't have the bevy of draft picks that say, the Jags or Jets are assured of.

Or they might decide that as long as they pulled the ripcord there with Patricia, it's time to resign themselves to a year or two of probably not making playoffs so they can get a Saleh or Bienamy. Certainly they have state legislators writing them asking for Saleh.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
My point was that Detroit, as many nfl teams tend to do, may overlook exciting new coach prospects for "experienced" ones, even if they aren't very good.

So you didn't address it, you jumped on one name (could've made a list) and hust repeated my point as if I hadn't just said it.

The NFL, like college, has an issue with hiring black coaches... if that wasn't quite clear from my post.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Besides Dungy,Tomlin and Green..I cannot recall
any good ones..Caldwell?He sucked in Indy without
PM and he isn't good enough to get to a SB.
How he got 9-7 with Lions is beyond me but that
was his max..The Lions just cannot make the
correct moves in just about anything besides firing
coaches.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2rwa9djt said:
Besides Dungy,Tomlin and Green..I cannot recall
any good ones..Caldwell?He sucked in Indy without
PM and he isn't good enough to get to a SB.
How he got 9-7 with Lions is beyond me but that
was his max..The Lions just cannot make the
correct moves in just about anything besides firing
coaches.

Leslie Frasier was pretty good in MN, for awhile. My point is that the NFL prefers retreads more often than not. NFC west seems to be the outlier.

Detroit decision will be interesting, as the best available candidates are likely first time HCs, and coaches of color as well.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":41b2jt5f said:
My point was that Detroit, as many nfl teams tend to do, may overlook exciting new coach prospects for "experienced" ones, even if they aren't very good.

So you didn't address it, you jumped on one name (could've made a list) and hust repeated my point as if I hadn't just said it.

The NFL, like college, has an issue with hiring black coaches... if that wasn't quite clear from my post.

Maybe Lincoln Riley or Urban Meyer ends up on their list, probably more than Jim Harbaugh if Ann Arbor does fire him (doubt it, tho).

Point taken though that the nfl in general likes hiring its own. Dan Quinn, Greg Roman, guys like that will probably get a second chance on the HC coaching carousel, if not in Detroit then at another club. Patricia and Gase likely will return to coordinator jobs or at worst position coaches somewhere.

Yes the Lions screwed up 18 years ago with the Rooney Rule, but it doesn't just cover Blacks, it covers women and minorities. Of which Saleh could qualify, and he grew up in Dearborn, which has been an Arab-American enclave since the 1980s. They have perceived hometown cred with them that they might not with Bienemy, which is why I suspect they're going to go after him first.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think they go far right from the Belichek tree, has any of his Coaches had success on their own in the NFL?

The thing about a team bombing on a Coaching selection is they rarely go New after hiring one previously, they want a track records to appease the Fans and have some trust in what they are getting. Quinn fits that mold, Leslie Frazier, Jay Gruden, Todd Bowles, Jason Garrett, Raheem Morris, Jim Schwartz, or Harbaugh if he leaves Michigan, although it will take the Kitchen sink and GM or final say in Personnel to get him.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2pfib34b said:
I think they go far right from the Belichek tree, has any of his Coaches had success on their own in the NFL?

The thing about a team bombing on a Coaching selection is they rarely go New after hiring one previously, they want a track records to appease the Fans and have some trust in what they are getting. Quinn fits that mold, Leslie Frazier, Jay Gruden, Todd Bowles, Jason Garrett, Raheem Morris, Jim Schwartz, or Harbaugh if he leaves Michigan, although it will take the Kitchen sink and GM or final say in Personnel to get him.

Flores and arguably Vrabel are off the Belichick tree. But that's it and both men have tempered their approach.

Maulbert

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1pp8yend said:
chris98251":1pp8yend said:

Flores and arguably Vrabel are off the Belichick tree. But that's it and both men have tempered their approach.

I loved seeing Vrabel use Belicheat's tactic against him last season. It was a thing of beauty.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Florio reports NFL's list of HC/GM candidates

The head-coaching candidates on the list printed on NFL Football Operations letterhead consist of, in alphabetical order, Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, Buccaneers defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, former Colts and Lions coach Jim Caldwell, Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott, Penn State coach James Franklin, Bills defensive coordinator and former Vikings coach Leslie Frazier, Chargers quarterbacks coach Pep Hamilton, Buccaneers offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich, Arizona State defensive coordinator and former Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, 49ers coach Robert Saleh, and Michigan State coach Mel Tucker.

The G.M. candidates are Bills director of pro scouting Malik Boyd, former Eagles director of college scouting Trey Brown, Brown V.P. of football administration Chris Cooper, Bills assistant director of college scouting Lake Dawson, Rams player personnel consultant and former Browns G.M. Ray Farmer, Saints assistant G.M. Terry Fontenot, Raiders director of pro scouting Dwayne Joseph, 49ers V.P. of player personnel and former Lions G.M. Martin Mayhew, Ravens senior personnel executive Vincent Newsome, former Giants G.M. Jerry Reese, former Eagles director of pro personnel Louis Riddick, former Texans G.M. Rick Smith, Cardinals director of pro scouting Adrian Wilson, and Chargers director of player personnel JoJo Wooden.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... andidates/

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":rh9v1a5n said:

The head-coaching candidates on the list printed on NFL Football Operations letterhead consist of, in alphabetical order, Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, Buccaneers defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, former Colts and Lions coach Jim Caldwell, Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott, Penn State coach James Franklin, Bills defensive coordinator and former Vikings coach Leslie Frazier, Chargers quarterbacks coach Pep Hamilton, Buccaneers offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich, Arizona State defensive coordinator and former Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, 49ers coach Robert Saleh, and Michigan State coach Mel Tucker.

The G.M. candidates are Bills director of pro scouting Malik Boyd, former Eagles director of college scouting Trey Brown, Brown V.P. of football administration Chris Cooper, Bills assistant director of college scouting Lake Dawson, Rams player personnel consultant and former Browns G.M. Ray Farmer, Saints assistant G.M. Terry Fontenot, Raiders director of pro scouting Dwayne Joseph, 49ers V.P. of player personnel and former Lions G.M. Martin Mayhew, Ravens senior personnel executive Vincent Newsome, former Giants G.M. Jerry Reese, former Eagles director of pro personnel Louis Riddick, former Texans G.M. Rick Smith, Cardinals director of pro scouting Adrian Wilson, and Chargers director of player personnel JoJo Wooden.

Do you think for yourself or just look for articles to copy, I could have copied a list from a site also, I was using what the Lions and situation had brought up as well as trend for teams that usually swing from a offensive mined to defensive and if go "New" guy will go back to established guy.

Teams who have no GM also tend to hire them first if they don't have a hands on owner, Bevell is a place holder really, he is a candidate sure, but until they hire a GM who then will pick his Coach and will want to establish a credible foundation again going with a proven guy.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2o8lnxi8 said:
SantaClaraHawk":2o8lnxi8 said:

The G.M. candidates are Bills director of pro scouting Malik Boyd, former Eagles director of college scouting Trey Brown, Brown V.P. of football administration Chris Cooper, Bills assistant director of college scouting Lake Dawson, Rams player personnel consultant and former Browns G.M. Ray Farmer, Saints assistant G.M. Terry Fontenot, Raiders director of pro scouting Dwayne Joseph, 49ers V.P. of player personnel and former Lions G.M. Martin Mayhew, Ravens senior personnel executive Vincent Newsome, former Giants G.M. Jerry Reese, former Eagles director of pro personnel Louis d*ck, former Texans G.M. Rick Smith, Cardinals director of pro scouting Adrian Wilson, and Chargers director of player personnel JoJo Wooden.

Do you think for yourself or just look for articles to copy, I could have copied a list from a site also, I was using what the Lions and situation had brought up as well as trend for teams that usually swing from a offensive mined to defensive and if go "New" guy will go back to established guy.

Teams who have no GM also tend to hire them first if they don't have a hands on owner, Bevell is a place holder really, he is a candidate sure, but until they hire a GM who then will pick his Coach and will want to establish a credible foundation again going with a proven guy.

For crying out loud Chris, it's not what I think or what any better football minds (of which I admit there are many here) think. I went through the trouble becuase this is on NFL letterhead and it's what they think. That will surely influence them, as well as the widespread sentiment in Michigan that they want to go balls-out for Saleh.