Matt Patricia

Threedee

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2y0nbgr3 said:
Maybe Lincoln Riley or Urban Meyer ends up on their list, probably more than Jim Harbaugh if Ann Arbor does fire him (doubt it, tho).

Point taken though that the nfl in general likes hiring its own. Dan Quinn, Greg Roman, guys like that will probably get a second chance on the HC coaching carousel, if not in Detroit then at another club. Patricia and Gase likely will return to coordinator jobs or at worst position coaches somewhere.

Yes the Lions screwed up 18 years ago with the Rooney Rule, but it doesn't just cover Blacks, it covers women and minorities. Of which Saleh could qualify, and he grew up in Dearborn, which has been an Arab-American enclave since the 1980s. They have perceived hometown cred with them that they might not with Bienemy, which is why I suspect they're going to go after him first.

If Urban Meyer found coaching college too stressful to continue any further, I can't imagine the NFL would be appealing to him.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Threedee":2jhlggy9 said:
SantaClaraHawk":2jhlggy9 said:
Maybe Lincoln Riley or Urban Meyer ends up on their list, probably more than Jim Harbaugh if Ann Arbor does fire him (doubt it, tho).

Point taken though that the nfl in general likes hiring its own. Dan Quinn, Greg Roman, guys like that will probably get a second chance on the HC coaching carousel, if not in Detroit then at another club. Patricia and Gase likely will return to coordinator jobs or at worst position coaches somewhere.

Yes the Lions screwed up 18 years ago with the Rooney Rule, but it doesn't just cover Blacks, it covers women and minorities. Of which Saleh could qualify, and he grew up in Dearborn, which has been an Arab-American enclave since the 1980s. They have perceived hometown cred with them that they might not with Bienemy, which is why I suspect they're going to go after him first.

If Urban Meyer found coaching college too stressful to continue any further, I can't imagine the NFL would be appealing to him.

Didn't Urban basically have to resign tho over Ohio State women's athletics or something like that?

Could be no one really cares anymore.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":205psqr1 said:
Threedee":205psqr1 said:
SantaClaraHawk":205psqr1 said:

Didn't Urban basically have to resign tho over Ohio State women's athletics or something like that?

Really?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

On August 1, 2018, Meyer was placed on paid administrative leave by Ohio State, after reports surfaced that Meyer knew about spousal abuse allegations against assistant coach Zach Smith prior to Smith's firing the week prior.[73] After an independent investigative panel reviewed the evidence, the Ohio State Board of Trustees found that Meyer and Ohio State University Athletic Director Gene Smith did not uphold the values of the university. On August 22, the board voted to suspend Meyer for the opening three games of the season for the Buckeyes. He missed the team's games against Oregon State, Rutgers, and TCU.[74][75]

Ohio State finished the year with a 12–1 record, including winning the Big Ten conference, but was not selected for the College Football Playoff, instead receiving a spot in the 2019 Rose Bowl. On December 4, 2018, Urban Meyer announced that he would retire from coaching following the team's Rose Bowl game due to health reasons. It was announced that Ryan Day would take over the head coaching position immediately after the Rose Bowl.[76]

I'm not quoting this just to copy it, but to refresh my memory and anyone else's who wishes with a fairly mainstream source, to segue into my point here.

Even in college, the Meyer situation seemed like an outlier. It's pretty uncommon to force someone out or even force a suspension because they heard whispers or more that so-and-so was a bad apple. Some stories catch a lot of fire and snowball, but really most do not.

If they applied the same standards to the pros, that'd be a cleanout of the FO and coaching staff. I'd say most have given a job at some point to someone they knew had spousal/gf accusations/allegations.

Fewer Michiganders--FO, coaches, fans--care less about what the Ohio State saga than they do Meyer's record and that he comes from Ohio State, which keeps beating their colleges and going to bowl games and producing first and second rounders. The first is water under the bridge to them that they weren't involved with, and the second is perceived untapped potential. That's why I'm saying if interest is expressed, chances are high he gets an interview.

Threedee

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1tqn90at said:
Threedee":1tqn90at said:
SantaClaraHawk":1tqn90at said:

Hadn't heard about that. People do tend to be skeptical whenever someone resigns or retires and the stated reason is health or family considerations. The great Ara Parseghian retired early due to both.