McDowell now attending practices!

RussB

Reaction score
Seymour":3gayxuo2 said:
So Pete's words were something to the effect that he just is not making the progress needed? Heard that today. Progress from what exactly after this long? Bad concussion is all I really heard, so what is the progress needed at this point? Is he like seeing double or something? Headaches, depression, balance issues, memory loss?? No idea what progress to look for 6 months+ in.

Ya, I get he's done and they likely don't want him anyway at this point to gain the year, I just want to know what progress they may be looking for this far along with a bad concussion?
Its all precaution , i think hes likely fine. You know how the NFL is with concussions these days.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
RussB":1g3c475p said:
Seymour":1g3c475p said:
So Pete's words were something to the effect that he just is not making the progress needed? Heard that today. Progress from what exactly after this long? Bad concussion is all I really heard, so what is the progress needed at this point? Is he like seeing double or something? Headaches, depression, balance issues, memory loss?? No idea what progress to look for 6 months+ in.

Ya, I get he's done and they likely don't want him anyway at this point to gain the year, I just want to know what progress they may be looking for this far along with a bad concussion?
Its all precaution , i think hes likely fine. You know how the NFL is with concussions these days.

Taking the entire season will cost him $10 million + off the the end of his career wages since he plays another year on rookie contract now. I doubt he and his agent would be OK with that if he really is OK.

RussB

Reaction score
Seymour":1dsdo1aq said:
RussB":1dsdo1aq said:
Seymour":1dsdo1aq said:

Taking the entire season will cost him $10 million + off the the end of his career wages since he plays another year on rookie contract now. I doubt he and his agent would be OK with that if he really is OK.
I dont think it matters what his agent thinks. The NFL is very strict on concussions these days. Malik probably just hit his head after falling off the ATV and had a concussion. The NFL caught wind of this and are now being super strict and careful with him just because of the nature of the accident.

He is likely healthy already and could play next week, but they will keep him out for a long time just like they did with kuechly last year just so he doesnt hit his head again

mikeak

Reaction score
RussB":383ndnlh said:
Seymour":383ndnlh said:
RussB":383ndnlh said:
Seymour":383ndnlh said:

I dont think it matters what his agent thinks. The NFL is very strict on concussions these days. Malik probably just hit his head after falling off the ATV and had a concussion. The NFL caught wind of this and are now being super strict and careful with him just because of the nature of the accident.

He is likely healthy already and could play next week, but they will keep him out for a long time just like they did with kuechly last year just so he doesnt hit his head again

This is not how it works

They have to show actual medical reason to keep him out. The players have representation as well and you can't just randomly say that a player should be out. If they are still suffering from concussion issues then he won't be cleared. Once they are back to normal and meet the baseline set before the season then they return. Now I don't know if a baseline is set with a rookie during training camp but it isn't random by the NFL

he didn't just "hit his head - it is obvious that it was a major head trauma from the fact that immediately it was stated that he probably can't play.

Compare this to Shaq - had a concussion in game, because it was Monday they didn't get through the protocol in time so he sat out one week now he is playing this upcoming week.

RussB

Reaction score
mikeak":6rzar1db said:
RussB":6rzar1db said:
Seymour":6rzar1db said:
RussB":6rzar1db said:

This is not how it works

They have to show actual medical reason to keep him out. The players have representation as well and you can't just randomly say that a player should be out. If they are still suffering from concussion issues then he won't be cleared. Once they are back to normal and meet the baseline set before the season then they return. Now I don't know if a baseline is set with a rookie during training camp but it isn't random by the NFL

he didn't just "hit his head - it is obvious that it was a major head trauma from the fact that immediately it was stated that he probably can't play.

Compare this to Shaq - had a concussion in game, because it was Monday they didn't get through the protocol in time so he sat out one week now he is playing this upcoming week.
He himself posted on instagram that he is fine and his injury isnt career threatening.He is fine its just excessive precautions is what i think it is .

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
RussB":1mmneljp said:
mikeak":1mmneljp said:
RussB":1mmneljp said:
Seymour":1mmneljp said:

This is not how it works

He himself posted on instagram that he is fine and his injury isnt career threatening.He is fine its just excessive precautions is what i think it is .

I'm sorry but I think this is kind of a La La opinion. Out 6+ months because of a bad concussion? I think it's pretty clear something went on behind the scenes after his accident that no one has brought to the light yet. A player being a little (in this case a lot maybe) delusionally optimistic? Pretty standard for serious injuries imo.

kidhawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1rlmj94g said:
I'm sorry but I think this is kind of a La La opinion. Out 6+ months because of a bad concussion? I think it's pretty clear something went on behind the scenes after his accident that no one has brought to the light yet. A player being a little (in this case a lot maybe) delusionally optimistic? Pretty standard for serious injuries imo.

Maybe I'm confused, but it seems like you are implying that a player doesn't miss 6+ months due to a concussion. If so, that's a completely false belief. It's happened multiple times in the NFL. That doesn't mean this is the case in this instance, because we just haven't been given the full scoop on his injuries because they weren't football related, but the thought that he could be out due to concussion is far from a "La La opinion" (whatever that actually means)

bigskydoc

Reaction score
A team is not allowed to stash a player on IR. It’s not just player representation that will prevent it. The league will come down hard if they catch a team doing this as it’s an unfair competitive advantage.

Imagine if you could leave a healthy player on IR. Every team would sign a ton of UDFAs only to see them get injured in training camp then placed on IR where they would remain for the season until needed.

kidhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":13sop8nf said:
A team is not allowed to stash a player on IR. It’s not just player representation that will prevent it. The league will come down hard if they catch a team doing this as it’s an unfair competitive advantage.

Imagine if you could leave a healthy player on IR. Every team would sign a ton of UDFAs only to see them get injured in training camp then placed on IR where they would remain for the season until needed.

Players have been put on IR for entire seasons when they only needed a few weeks to recover for as long as the IR has existed. It's this very reason that brought about the original "designated to return" rule which is now basically any 2 players on IR can return after 6 weeks stay on the list. There is nothing in the CBA that prevents putting players with recoverable injuries on the IR for the season. The only thing I can find remotely about this is that they still count against the cap, so holding too many on IR results in less cap money to spend on active players.

RussB

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":33ve0g50 said:
RussB":33ve0g50 said:
mikeak":33ve0g50 said:
RussB":33ve0g50 said:

This is not how it works

Thats why i think it wasnt just a concussion, maybe he recieved some sort of neck injury as well or some other injury. i dont think you can be out this long with a concussion. I dont get why they are being so secretive as to what injuries he sustained.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RussB":nee2ko2z said:
Thats why i think it wasnt just a concussion, maybe he recieved some sort of neck injury as well or some other injury. i dont think you can be out this long with a concussion. I dont get why they are being so secretive as to what injuries he sustained.

There are players who have missed more than 6 months due to concussion, so I'm not sure why people don't grasp that a concussion has before and will again cause long term injury to players.

As far as the secretive part, it's really not up to the team. The guy is on the Non-Football Injury list, so it's up to him to release his medical information if he so chooses and he apparently has not done so. Had it been a football injury, then there would be more information.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Clayton today said he doesn't think this guy will ever play.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":ap5kd5s9 said:
Clayton today said he doesn't think this guy will ever play.

First I heard this from a local authority and I trust Clayton, did he state why he believed this?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Without more real information all stories about McDowell have a flavour of unreliability to them.

This is an unfortunate situation created in part by the players unwillingness to realease information. It's really too bad that a very early draft pick was foolish enough to create this situation. This will regrettably cost him and the team b/c of this foolishness.

Latest posts