Michael Bennett sack penalty

bestfightstory

Reaction score
The rule is far from ridiculous. Remember all the hits Wilson has taken to his torso?

How would you like those 300 pound pinemen slamming into his knees while he is planting to throw?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Yea, i'm fine with the rule. I don't get why people complain about all the player protection rules. This isn't gladiator society, I don't want to see players injured and maimed or lying on the football field knocked unconscious.

I don't mind the rules at all, I just wish the officials would be more consistent and better in enforcing them.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1lfa6bcb said:
Tech Worlds":1lfa6bcb said:
MrCarey":1lfa6bcb said:
Peyton got wrapped up by the ankles today. Didn't get called.

If it was a blow to the knees you would have.
But it wasn't and it wasn't even close. Are you defending this ridiculous rule and the even worse interpretation therein?

When I watched it in the game it looked to me like as Bennett was going down he made contact with Ryan's knees. What else are you suppose to do? I understand Bennett wasnt trying to hurt him but the rule was put in place to try and protect the most important position in football. It is just one of those things.

Wasnt even close? I dont know what play you were watching mister.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":13ke5gzw said:
KCHawkGirl":13ke5gzw said:
Tech Worlds":13ke5gzw said:
MrCarey":13ke5gzw said:
Peyton got wrapped up by the ankles today. Didn't get called.

If it was a blow to the knees you would have.
But it wasn't and it wasn't even close. Are you defending this ridiculous rule and the even worse interpretation therein?

When I watched it in the game it looked to me like as Bennett was going down he made contact with Ryan's knees. What else are you suppose to do? I understand Bennett wasnt trying to hurt him but the rule was put in place to try and protect the most important position in football. It is just one of those things.

Wasnt even close? I dont know what play you were watching mister.

The rule was put in place to avoid devastating blows to a QB's knee's.

Glancing incidental contact as he is wrapping his ankles isnt a devastating, injury inducing blow.

Ref's need to be able to use common sense and make the calls accordingly. See the Whiner/Carolina game today for a perfect example

Hawkpower

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3lukl29d said:
Yea, i'm fine with the rule. I don't get why people complain about all the player protection rules. This isn't gladiator society, I don't want to see players injured and maimed or lying on the football field knocked unconscious.

I don't mind the rules at all, I just wish the officials would be more consistent and better in enforcing them.

People complain about the rules because the game is played by large men moving at a high rate of speed, and it is somewhat unrealistic to expect some of these "contacts" to not take place. Defenders are left with little recourse much of the time.

Couple that with refs throwing game changing 15 yard penalties willy nilly at their own interpretation and you have a frustrating output for players, coaches and fans.

Hawks46

Reaction score
According to the letter of the rule, this was the right call.

Remember when Henderson from the Vikings dove at Hasselbeck's knees and took him out for 4 weeks ? I don't think the penalty was in place then, but that should've been called.

Problem is, Bennett just tackled Ryan. He didn't drive through or try to hurt him. He didn't even use his shoulder pads as leverage or a fulcrum to bring Ryan down. It's borderline at best, but the league will back it up.

Now, that Bullsh*t defenseless receiver call on Irvin deep in Falcon's territory that started the drive for the only Falcon's TD ??? That was incredible terrible.

amill87

Reaction score
Count me in the group as I don't know what Bennett could have possibly done. But the rule is there to protect QBs from taking a hit in the knee when they are in a vulnerable position. It is different than the blow to the head stuff.

With that said....

Photo11

Photo12