Michael Jackson

Bobblehead

Reaction score

kidhawk

Reaction score
Although this may be true, it wouldn't surprise me if Pete was pushing Witherspoon into the Slot right now to make him more well rounded. It wouldn't surprise me to see more of a competition for positions during Training camp. Definitely will be exciting. Between our DBs, our RBs and our WRs we have tons of talent.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Although this may be true, it wouldn't surprise me if Pete was pushing Witherspoon into the Slot right now to make him more well rounded. It wouldn't surprise me to see more of a competition for positions during Training camp. Definitely will be exciting. Between our DBs, our RBs and our WRs we have tons of talent.
I;m sure you're right, I'm just not keen on the idea of meddling with what got them great in the first place.. you know the saying, Jack of all trades.. master of none.. We'll see.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Or it could be that Pete saw the same thing Ronde Barber did and slot is Witherspoon's better position. I do like the idea of having him in tighter to the formation to take advantage of his physicality in run support. I would imagine lining up Witherspoon as the strong side slot and Adams (God willing) in a WLB position on passing downs would be a protection nightmare.

My only reservation is that MJ was pretty average last year so unless he's elevated his game I'm a little worried he's going to get picked on again.

(Barber clip for those that missed it.)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Oh I bet Jackson is playing with a fire under his ass in OTA's, dude's fighting for his professional life right now.

But Witherspoon would REALLY have to struggle in camp and pre-season to not be the other starting CB.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Both of Woolen and Bryant are nursing injuries and postseason surgical repairs so it's a tad early to anoint Jackson as the LCB even if he did play well in relief last season.

I'd expect the team will move Witherspoon around a bit and look at him in various roles to expose him to the coverage needs of an NFL CB. To me these are very early days though there is some wisdom in suggestions of Witherspoon playing closer to the line due to his superior tackling abilities.

These are very early days.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Or it could be that Pete saw the same thing Ronde Barber did and slot is Witherspoon's better position. I do like the idea of having him in tighter to the formation to take advantage of his physicality in run support. I would imagine lining up Witherspoon as the strong side slot and Adams (God willing) in a WLB position on passing downs would be a protection nightmare.

My only reservation is that MJ was pretty average last year so unless he's elevated his game I'm a little worried he's going to get picked on again.

(Barber clip for those that missed it.)

This crossed my mind as well. Having a dude that physical play slot definitely helps protect the middle.

Scout

Reaction score
The team is investigating what flexibility they could have early on. And I think it is a great way to gauge what Spoon can and can not do. Due to Spoons sheer physicality I expect him to really excel whether on the boundary or in the slot.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I felt Mike Jackson did very well from just kind of coming out of nowhere and establishing himself last season, he was like a poor man’s Brandon Browner, quality in his run fits but had to battle in coverage with mixed results. While there is potential he might get traded, I think he definitely makes us better if like Geno he is doubling down on his opportunity and putting in the work to make himself better and more prepared physically and mentally.

I think Spoon has the capability to be an outside/inside player. Thurmond could do it, Lane could do it, and I believe Maxwell could do it as well.

There is just a lot of flexibility in this CB group moving forward with bodies and opportunities to really match-up and play more man if they want to. Two years ago, Brown looked like he would be a cornerstone. One year ago, it looked like Bryant would be the slot of the future. Now, both of these guys with starting experience are looking like they’ll be back-ups and that’s a good thing to have. The ability to just plug and play when needed and these guys being able to handle their business and be competitive with their reps.

GemCity

Reaction score
Whenever the injury bug goes away, I see Tariq and Spoon as starting CBs. Bryant and Jackson competing in the slot.

Coby has a lot of potential but, he doesn’t quite cut it on the outside. I also don’t see Tariq being beat out.

Depth is always nice!

chrispy

Reaction score
Pete praising MJ could be a good way to raise his visibility and fish for a trade as pre-season plays out. Leveraging 5 starting calibur CBs into an upgrade at a position of greater need seems like it should be on the table if the occasion presents itself.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Whenever the injury bug goes away, I see Tariq and Spoon as starting CBs. Bryant and Jackson competing in the slot.

Coby has a lot of potential but, he doesn’t quite cut it on the outside. I also don’t see Tariq being beat out.

Depth is always nice!
So where do you see Brown fitting in?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Pete praising MJ could be a good way to raise his visibility and fish for a trade as pre-season plays out. Leveraging 5 starting calibur CBs into an upgrade at a position of greater need seems like it should be on the table if the occasion presents itself.
I think they keep MJ and Bryant with all the 3-4 WR offenses.

Mick063

Reaction score
A nickel defense is typically played when the opponent uses three receivers in the lineup. A "dime" defense (four cover corners) is typically used when the opponent lines up with four wide receivers.

With the evolution of rule changes, teams pass more often than ever. They also use three receiver sets more often than ever. But they don't always use them. For example, in the red zone, it is less likely. Conversely, on your side of mid field, with a lot of distance to go, with more room to maneuver, chances are much higher.

Given a two wide receiver set, the lineup is simple. Spoon and Woolen at boundary corner. Love (or Diggs) plays directly on the tight end (if he splits or is in motion).

Nickel is a different circumstance. As a head coach, you have to weigh the options for a three-receiver set.

1) Spoon and Woolen at boundary with Bryant at slot.
2) Spoon and Woolen at boundary with Love at slot.
3) Jackson and Woolen at boundary with Spoon at slot.

You are tempted to put your best eleven players on the field, relative to the capability of the alignment that you are facing. Personally, with respect to the capabilities of a three-receiver set, I believe option 3 puts your best eleven players on the field.

Then, as a coach, you have to ask yourself, "What do we do if a given corner is injured and has to miss a few weeks?" It is inevitably going to happen.

Taking all of the above into consideration, it is just plain STUPID to not get Spoon up to snuff at nickel. It is a force multiplier. It creates more options, more capabilities, more flexibility, more diversity. And it sort of reveals a person's relative lack of understanding, an inability to conceptually grasp this sport, to think that the team should do otherwise. Great coaches add tools to their toolbox. They don't remove them.

Last edited:

seahawks08

Reaction score
I am still curious about how can we stop the run with a fast reacting middle layer if our Dline is held, trucked or tricked. Can the corners, nickel and Safety make a difference by reacting late but close in on speed?

Scout

Reaction score
I am still curious about how can we stop the run with a fast reacting middle layer if our Dline is held, trucked or tricked. Can the corners, nickel and Safety make a difference by reacting late but close in on speed?

I expect Seattle to play more big nickel to have the flexibility to play the run but also defend against 3 WR sets. A lot of teams are now running out of 3 WR sets knowing teams go into nickel with smaller DBs on the inside.

keasley45

Reaction score
I don’t. I had high hopes for him but if he were serviceable, you don’t necessarily go out and grab a CB with the sixth pick.
Pete's been singing his praises. I think hes back from his injury. if he's who he was before, hes a beast.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Make no mistake, 'Spoon will be opposite Woolen Day 1.

Jackson is a fantastic 3rd. We may have the best DB group in the league.