More “reports”

knownone

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2wro95g8 said:
This will be an interesting season.

The new strategy is clearly to annoy Pete.

Everything from calling out the Oline, to diminishing Pete's accomplishments, to going after his nepotism - is going to be geared to bother Pete personally.

Wilson's camp is going to slow drip a constant stream of negatively slanted stories from the inside, for a full offseason and likely the next season. They are going to make it personal for Pete so he just wants rid of Wilson no matter the cost (or in this instance, dead money hit).

It will probably work.

Pete has a lot of pride and self-belief. He will not like seeing all his accomplishments in the NFL attributed to someone else and then having someone leak every little detail that paints him or the team in a bad light for another year.

As I stated before...this is a campaign. It is a coordinated effort to assure that Carroll is so driven to off-load Wilson that he will agree to near anything workable the Wilson camp proposes at the end.

So we will see a lot of this until either Pete backs down or Wilson leaves.
I agree with your analysis of the situation, but I'm not sure Wilson's strategy will work. Pete has never seemed like the type of guy who cares about media speculation. I'm sure, privately, it upsets him, but Russell's critique is fairly benign and a relatively easy narrative to combat from Pete's perspective. Pete will probably drop a sarcastic jab at Russell in his next press conference and move on. That's why I think this is a bad move on Russell's part. Seattle still holds all of the cards. So, he can throw a temper tantrum, but unless they want to move him, they won't.

Wilson camp's representation of his legacy could also backfire on him. Seattle ranked 27th, 26th, 27th, and 20th in passing offense during the most successful stretch of the Hawk's semi-dynasty. It's hard to make the case that Russell was the only reason that team was successful, which is the rhetoric currently being used by his camp.

This sets up an interesting dilemma that Russell would have brought on himself. Let's assume a scenario where Seattle does move on from him. In that scenario, if Wilson struggles to make another Superbowl and Pete Caroll and the Seahawks don't miss a beat, Wilson will have essentially set up the framework for which you'd retrospectively analyze his importance to the Seahawk's semi-dynasty. This becomes even worse if Seattle were to win with a QB many believe to be lesser than him during his era.

That's what his camp is overlooking when they attack Carroll's legacy. Wilson is not Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers. He was not the best player on a championship team. The merits of his legacy are directly tied to that historic defense. Without which, statistically, he's Kirk Cousins in a better situation. Now, most of us obviously believe Russell is significantly better than Cousins. However, if he leaves this situation and Pete continues having success, then the microscope will shift back to him, and I'm not sure it will be kind.

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
knownone":21fh88d7 said:
TwistedHusky":21fh88d7 said:

Everything from calling out the Oline, to diminishing Pete's accomplishments, to going after his nepotism - is going to be geared to bother Pete personally.

Wilson's camp is going to slow drip a constant stream of negatively slanted stories from the inside, for a full offseason and likely the next season. They are going to make it personal for Pete so he just wants rid of Wilson no matter the cost (or in this instance, dead money hit).

It will probably work.

Pete has a lot of pride and self-belief. He will not like seeing all his accomplishments in the NFL attributed to someone else and then having someone leak every little detail that paints him or the team in a bad light for another year.

As I stated before...this is a campaign. It is a coordinated effort to assure that Carroll is so driven to off-load Wilson that he will agree to near anything workable the Wilson camp proposes at the end.

I agree with your analysis of the situation, but I'm not sure Wilson's strategy will work. Pete has never seemed like the type of guy who cares about media speculation. I'm sure, privately, it upsets him, but Russell's critique is fairly benign and a relatively easy narrative to combat from Pete's perspective. Pete will probably drop a sarcastic jab at Russell in his next press conference and move on. That's why I think this is a bad move on Russell's part. Seattle still holds all of the cards. So, he can throw a temper tantrum, but unless they want to move him, they won't.

Wilson camp's representation of his legacy could also backfire on him. Seattle ranked 27th, 26th, 27th, and 20th in passing offense during the most successful stretch of the Hawk's semi-dynasty. It's hard to make the case that Russell was the only reason that team was successful, which is the rhetoric currently being used by his camp.

This sets up an interesting dilemma that Russell would have brought on himself. Let's assume a scenario where Seattle does move on from him. In that scenario, if Wilson struggles to make another Superbowl and Pete Caroll and the Seahawks don't miss a beat, Wilson will have essentially set up the framework for which you'd retrospectively analyze his importance to the Seahawk's semi-dynasty. This becomes even worse if Seattle were to win with a QB many believe to be lesser than him during his era.

That's what his camp is overlooking when they attack Carroll's legacy. Wilson is not Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers. He was not the best player on a championship team. The merits of his legacy are directly tied to that historic defense. Without which, statistically, he's Kirk Cousins in a better situation. Now, most of us obviously believe Russell is significantly better than Cousins. However, if he leaves this situation and Pete continues having success, then the microscope will shift back to him, and I'm not sure it will be kind.

I don't see Carroll getting annoyed, but rather deciding if they can accommodate Wilson.
The Seahawks have limited draft capital and not a lot of $$$ to bring in new blood. Wilson isn't dumb, he knows this. So why is he stirring the pot now knowing that the Seahawks are probably more limited this off season than they have been in recent memory? It's either because...
- He wants to push with no more Mr. Nice Guy (by Wilson standards as he's still pretty nice!) and wants whatever limited resources are available to go to the o line and helping him have a great 2021.
- He doesn't think the Seahawks can make any meaningful change headed into 2021.

In a recent comment Art Thiel opined that Wilson probably is a Seahawk for next season UNLESS he has concluded that the Seahawks will be no better (or worse) than last season. If that's the case he'll keep this drip, drip going until the Seahawks are forced to move him.

From Carroll's history he doesn't seem to put up with disgruntled players and moves on rather than tries to patch things up. Wilson is more central than all of those other players put together.

In whatever communication is going on behind the scenes I hope that the Seahawks and Wilson are coming up with a plan, first determining if it's possible to satisfy him or not. If it's not, then they have to mutually decide upon what to do.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
knownone":2m917hq7 said:
TwistedHusky":2m917hq7 said:

It will probably work.

Well said.

Russ obviously has a tremendous ego (not a bash, most successful QB's do) and in his mind, he's going to take teams to the playoffs and challenge for Super Bowl's anywhere he goes.

I do think its a gamble though. Russ' postseason success 7-8 years back was unique in that it wasn't really all on him, even if thats how he chooses to remember it.

His struggles last year should be a bit humbling, but clearly have not been. He has flaws in his game that are becoming more alarming.

I'm not sure if the hawk magic lived with Pete, Russ or (probably) somewhere in between, but I do know a separation would certainly go a long way to clearing that up, if that's what either camp decides.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
knownone":237paf33 said:
TwistedHusky":237paf33 said:

It will probably work.

How does Seattle hold the cards in this situation? Wilson needs to play next season and then his contract is up. After that he's going to have a lot of teams knocking on his door in which he can write his own ticket. Lets face it, Wilson is a top 5 QB in the league. Carroll is an old, outdated coach who's NFL career is sub .500 without Wilson. More than likely Seattle is going to have to choose who they want to keep after next season. Choice seems obvious to me and most everybody else.

seabowl

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":iil7m9l9 said:
knownone":iil7m9l9 said:
TwistedHusky":iil7m9l9 said:

It will probably work.

How does Seattle hold the cards in this situation? Wilson needs to play next season and then his contract is up. After that he's going to have a lot of teams knocking on his door in which he can write his own ticket. Lets face it, Wilson is a top 5 QB in the league. Carroll is an old, outdated coach who's NFL career is sub .500 without Wilson. More than likely Seattle is going to have to choose who they want to keep after next season. Choice seems obvious to me and most everybody else.

Hawks in control. Franchise tag.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":23wby3dy said:
knownone":23wby3dy said:
TwistedHusky":23wby3dy said:

It will probably work.

How are you calculating his contract being up in 2021/2022?

Isnt it 2024?

xray

Reaction score
Wilson stays for season 2021 and leaves in 2022 .End of story . :D

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We will see.

Carroll likes to be in control. The situation is already spinning out of control.

For over the next year, every little thing that happens in the locker room is fair game to be leaked - to imply that does not affect the end result is crazy.

One of the key people on this team will now be actively working against Carroll's wishes and best interests for the better part of a year.

And Carroll DOES not like his authority rebuked. No control-oriented leader does. Carroll is very control-oriented by almost any account.

All the sacred rules that Carroll expects:
Protect the Team
Keep Things In House
etc... they are all going to be targets (I think this is the reason for the Oline comment actually)

Russ' camp is going to keep killing sacred cows until Pete simply cannot handle keeping him here anymore.

Wilson likely knows Pete well. So it is very unlikely he would OK a campaign like this unless he thought it would work.

We have 1, maybe 2 more years of Wilson. Do you honestly believe that a deep schism in the team where the star player is actively working against the head coach is not going to have repercussions on the field?

(The other assertion made is laughable. Wilson will likely go to the playoffs when he leaves here. But Pete not missing a beat without him? This is hilarious. Pete is a barely competent HC WITH Wilson bailing him out regularly. Not even sure I can imagine how bad he will be without Russ. But it will be bad. I expect to hear lots of excuses a year or two from now.)

toffee

Reaction score
knownone":ako4qd1k said:
This is a poorly thought out and executed article. First, it says that Pete and his sons answer to know one, then it describes Nate's situation with "Nate Carroll stepped away from his job because he was frustrated with his role," which seems to indicate the opposite of what the author stated is true.

Second, the author mischaracterized Pete's fairly normal quote about working with his family and turns it into a referendum on the power dynamic within the team, which is a ludicrous assertion to anyone who has ever been in a work setting with a close friend or family member. In other words, some people have a level of trust where they can tell you things that other people would not. This dynamic does not change.

If this did come from Russell's camp, it says more about them than Pete. Which is to say they are willing to throw crap in all directions, hoping it eventually sticks.
This!

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

HawkinNY

Reaction score
This is what happens when you baby a QB for most of his career and now he thinks he’s better than everyone and you are holding him back. Not that maybe he has flaws. Nope it’s always others faults why he didn’t get the job done. I don’t care anymore. I hope Pete brings in a diff QB and we win the Super Bowl. How’s that for legacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJlargent

Reaction score
HawkinNY":220z88zd said:
This is what happens when you baby a QB for most of his career and now he thinks he’s better than everyone and you are holding him back. Not that maybe he has flaws. Nope it’s always others faults why he didn’t get the job done. I don’t care anymore. I hope Pete brings in a diff QB and we win the Super Bowl. How’s that for legacy.

A different QB and we are 6-10. Might even be 5-11 if everyone in our division stays healthy

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
knownone":pc965lp4 said:
TwistedHusky":pc965lp4 said:

It will probably work.

This is where I'm at ^^^ when assessing the risk Russell and his people are taking by making this move. I don't think the risk is worth potential upside, unless the goal is getting to a city where Russell can truly grow his wealth significantly and this is just the "cover" to do that without having to admit it. It would also work if his true goal is to accumulate passing numbers by volume. I would understand that and going somewhere that will chuck it 40+ times a game is a must. If it's about Super Bowls, the risk isn't worth burning things down to move on. The sheer fact that it's statistically improbable that Pete or Russ will win another SB no matter what either of them do, makes the risk out way the potential benefits. The only way he wins that battle is if he goes somewhere else and wins it. Maybe if he gets there and loses well. Any other result eats away at his legacy to varying degrees and if Pete/Seattle get back to the SB or heaven forbid win it, his legacy will take a massive hit.

At the very least he has to make the playoffs just about every year for the next 10 years somewhere else to avoid the media speculation questioning whether or not he made the right move.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
NJlargent":3gjn95qi said:
HawkinNY":3gjn95qi said:

A different QB and we are 6-10. Might even be 5-11 if everyone in our division stays healthy

Depends who the other QB is.

There are other QB's who could have lead this team to their success over the past 8 years.

And some of course who couldnt.

Surely you aren't implying that Russ is the only QB in the league who could have had success here :)

balakoth

Reaction score
Did anyone actually go and read the article?

The ops initial assessment isn't even friggen implied or stated in the actual 3 paragraph "article"

Im gonna wait till training camp to come back I think lol

Hilarious

Latest posts