Most polarizing Hawks player of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I remember Boz being very polarizing but people didn’t have the ability to spread their opinions like we have now.
Once again, Boz wasn't polarizing, at least not amongst Seahawk fans, until after he retired. And yes, the ability to communicate does tend to accentuate opinions, but it didn't have much of an effect in his case. I was a season ticket holder and attended the majority of home games back then, and I can assure you that the vast majority of Hawk fans loved him right up until the time he retired.

That contrasts markedly with Russell's popularity, which had begun to decline over a year before he was traded when he complained about "being hit too much," his post Super Bowl comments comparing his plight with that of Tom Brady's, and the leaked list of teams he'd accept a trade to.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Once again, Boz wasn't polarizing, at least not amongst Seahawk fans, until after he retired. And yes, the ability to communicate does tend to accentuate opinions, but it didn't have much of an effect in his case. I was a season ticket holder and attended the majority of home games back then, and I can assure you that the vast majority of Hawk fans loved him right up until the time he retired.

That contrasts markedly with Russell's popularity, which had begun to decline over a year before he was traded when he complained about "being hit too much," his post Super Bowl comments comparing his plight with that of Tom Brady's, and the leaked list of teams he'd accept a trade to.
Your entitled to your opinion but I remember Boz as a polarizing character even when he was still in college.

This is simply our opinions, I’m certainly not going to argue over them. I was only attempting to clarify my stance, not change your mind.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Your entitled to your opinion but I remember Boz as a polarizing character even when he was still in college.

This is simply our opinions, I’m certainly not going to argue over them. I was only attempting to clarify my stance, not change your mind.
I didn't interpret your comments as trying to change my opinion. I didn't think that you understood or acknowledged my point.

My point is how polarizing Boz was with Hawk fans, not fans in general, which I think is what you're alluding to. Yes, he was definitely a polarizing figure to many coming out of college, even those at OU. But the from the moment he signed his contract with the Hawks until he retired due to a chronic shoulder injury, he was extremely popular with the 12's. I never heard a peep of criticism during his playing days.

But once he retired, the knives came out and he became one of the most disliked Hawk players of all time.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I didn't interpret your comments as trying to change my opinion. I didn't think that you understood or acknowledged my point.

My point is how polarizing Boz was with Hawk fans, not fans in general, which I think is what you're alluding to. Yes, he was definitely a polarizing figure to many coming out of college, even those at OU. But the from the moment he signed his contract with the Hawks until he retired due to a chronic shoulder injury, he was extremely popular with the 12's. I never heard a peep of criticism during his playing days.

But once he retired, the knives came out and he became one of the most disliked Hawk players of all time.
Well the OP certainly didn’t specify “to Hawk fans only”.

And I clearly remember lots of fans that didn’t want him on our team.
No big deal it’s just a matter of perspective and maybe who we were around as fans.
I moved to Texas the year he was Drafted, Typically Texas football (NCAA) fans hold a huge disdain for Oklahoma teams and fans. This and the fact that the year leading up to him becoming a Seahawk I was in Spokane, it’s quite possible that the Hawk fans I associated with held differing opinions than those you were around.
Like I said just a matter of perspective I suppose.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Well the OP certainly didn’t specify “to Hawk fans only”.
Since all the posts about polarizing players in this thread has been exclusively about former Seahawks, I made the assumption that we were limiting our conversation to Hawk players and their fans. And I did note repeatedly that I was only talking about popularity amongst the 12's. But no biggie. If you want to include all fans, then we're much closer to agreement on Boz.
And I clearly remember lots of fans that didn’t want him on our team.
No big deal it’s just a matter of perspective and maybe who we were around as fans.
I moved to Texas the year he was Drafted, Typically Texas football (NCAA) fans hold a huge disdain for Oklahoma teams and fans. This and the fact that the year leading up to him becoming a Seahawk I was in Spokane, it’s quite possible that the Hawk fans I associated with held differing opinions than those you were around.
Like I said just a matter of perspective I suppose.

I wasn't particularly enamored with the prospect of the Boz being on our team prior to our drafting him, either. But at the time, I had a very deep respect for Coach Knox and after we won the lottery and drafted Bosworth, Knox said that he was going to be the next Dick Butkus, so I was sold and bought into the hype.

And honestly, he didn't play all that badly, certainly not as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. He would have had to been a HOF'er to have lived up to the hype associated with him, although he created 90% of it himself.

And being that you are/were on the south side of the Red River Rivalry goes a long way in explaining your disdain for the Boomer Sooner Bosworth. He was an easy person to dislike, even easier for a Texan.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
We are dealing with an entirely different fan base now vs when SA was around.

Yea I get it, we’re all Seahawk fans and that makes us the same fan base, but I call BS.

You only need to look at how our current “fan base” talks about Tyler Lockett to understand what I mean.

I say this pole is invalid and needs to be broken up by decade or generation.
People simply didn’t speak back in the day as they do now.
Well, I'm part of the 'fan base' - and I wish that Tyler would try harder for YAC. I would also like Richard Sherman and DK to stop approving and/or enabling that behaviour.

Not sure how that makes me lesser of a fan.....

And my vote's kinda for Percy Harvin. I know that is probably a strange selection.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Well, I'm part of the 'fan base' - and I wish that Tyler would try harder for YAC. I would also like Richard Sherman and DK to stop approving and/or enabling that behaviour.

Not sure how that makes me lesser of a fan.....

And my vote's kinda for Percy Harvin. I know that is probably a strange selection.
I never said anything about you or anyone else being a lesser or better fan.
I only pointed out that things are different now vs when SA or Boz were around.

My point is, that if we had current technology as a tool to propagate our opinions back then, we would probably see things differently.

If you want to complain about TL’s YAC it’s certainly within your rights, fact is 30 years ago you didn’t have the ability to get 1000s to publicly and instantly agree/disagree with you.
Hence my opinion that the timeline plays a part in who is/was the most polarizing.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

My point is, that if we had current technology as a tool to propagate our opinions back then, we would probably see things differently.

If you want to complain about TL’s YAC it’s certainly within your rights, fact is 30 years ago you didn’t have the ability to get 1000s to publicly and instantly agree/disagree with you.
Hence my opinion that the timeline plays a part in who is/was the most polarizing.
You have a point - the technology itself tends to 'amplify' opinions - that's for sure -

You're right - TL's YAC issues are almost identical to SA's issues back in the day. Both are business decisions. And, actually, when you put the religion and chastity stuff in the bucket - there's really not that much difference between SA and TL at all!

chris98251

Reaction score

We had message boards, Seahawks.com had one, there were others, this one in another form, then on Fanstop etc. Late 70's no, but back then people did this thing called talking to each other over lunch or in hallways by the water cooler as they used to say.

pmedic920

Reaction score
We had message boards, Seahawks.com had one, there were others, this one in another form, then on Fanstop etc. Late 70's no, but back then people did this thing called talking to each other over lunch or in hallways by the water cooler as they used to say.
Come on man, I’m fully aware of how things were back in the day.

If you want to insinuate that opinions and information doesn’t travel faster nowadays go ahead but I’m not buying it.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Charger fans used to so make fun of me being a Rams fan. At church.

Before this popular internet thingy was common.

chris98251

Reaction score
Come on man, I’m fully aware of how things were back in the day.

If you want to insinuate that opinions and information doesn’t travel faster nowadays go ahead but I’m not buying it.
Misinformation travels fast, the truth much slower, back then we had actual reporters not wanna be sports writers writing Blogs and producing Web content for revenue from ad clicks.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Since all the posts about polarizing players in this thread has been exclusively about former Seahawks, I made the assumption that we were limiting our conversation to Hawk players and their fans. And I did note repeatedly that I was only talking about popularity amongst the 12's. But no biggie. If you want to include all fans, then we're much closer to agreement on Boz.

I wasn't particularly enamored with the prospect of the Boz being on our team prior to our drafting him, either. But at the time, I had a very deep respect for Coach Knox and after we won the lottery and drafted Bosworth, Knox said that he was going to be the next Dick Butkus, so I was sold and bought into the hype.

And honestly, he didn't play all that badly, certainly not as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. He would have had to been a HOF'er to have lived up to the hype associated with him, although he created 90% of it himself.

And being that you are/were on the south side of the Red River Rivalry goes a long way in explaining your disdain for the Boomer Sooner Bosworth. He was an easy person to dislike, even easier for a Texan.
Well I am the poster and I asked in the poll who the most polarizing Hawks player was. My statement went on to talk about .Net and the threads and posts.

Unfortunately because my post was bumped from the only place you can have a poll the poll question was lost. (PS I explained in my post to the mods I put it in the Hawks forum because of the poll but it was still bumped)

I was asking about who the most polarizing Hawks player was to hawk fans!

Perhaps the poll should have remained where it was.

For instance if I wanted to have a poll who was the over all best running back Seahawk, I couldn't because it would be discussing former players and therefore can't be in main forum, so I couldn't make the poll.

Needs to be changed.

BTW obviously people don't actually read what is posted. My post is below and cant be more clear what the post was.
"Having watched all of the treads on .NET for a long time and thinking about what some have said about the continual threads and posts throughout .NET about RW.

I started wondering what player in the history of the Hawks has been the most polarizing to the team and the .NET fan base and the posters.

Like someone said, it is amazing that since March 2021 in almost every forum in almost every thread, RW somehow ends up in the discussion. Both good and bad. Even though he is no longer a Seahawk.

That got me thinking about all the players that have come and gone through the Hawks organization. Can anyone tell me a player who has been more polarizing and discussed than RW.

If you can think of a name other than RW please name him and your reasons so we can discuss it

MODS: This is posted in the Main forum because you cant make a poll in the NFL nation."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Both Hasselbeck and Dave Krieg have numbers that eclipse many HOF players. The problem is playing on an obscure expansion team from Southern Alaska, that had limited success through their eras. An argument could be made that both earned a spot someday.
But they weren't polarizing!

Status
Not open for further replies.