M's offense is, once again, heinously bad...

beastalamode

Reaction score
Its hard to hit in Tmobile in early Spring. Science backs it and so do former players. I will wait until late may to make a decision.
Other teams do just fine. They have a real test over the next couple weeks, lets see how they do against playoff teams

Crizilla

Reaction score
Lol he's right. The ball doesn't fly in Seattle until June. T mobile park is a pitchers park, not a hitters park. Baseball fans have known this since 1999. I remember the conspiracy theory that Griffey didn't like the new stadium which gave him another reason to go to Cincy.

The 2000-03 teams were loaded on offense the stadium didn't matter then.

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Why would it matter to hitters if they can hit home runs? Scouts don't just look at how many HRs a guy has, they understand all of the variables, and so it should not affect how much they're worth if their HR production isn't as high at Safeco Field (I will always call it this because name changes are stupid). Plus, they can swing for base hits instead.

The only reason I can think of is glory and record books in the home run category. However, if that's what a player cares about instead of winning, then we shouldn't want them on the team anyway.

sutz

Reaction score
Which is why they went out looking for guys who had not just pop, but could drive in runs with singles and doubles, like they have been doing lately, the first game in Texas not withstanding. I just hope they don't get in love with those HRs and stop going for contact. We need both.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority, but I like seeing Julio not just swinging for the fences all the time. He's maybe the hottest hitter in baseball right now.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, Julio can hit for power and average. He's still young and figuring out how he helps the team even when he's hitting singles. We still need a bit of small ball to win games.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
23 years old, easy to forget. We also need to stop hitting in to double plays to end innings. Maddening.
I call him DP France. I expect a Double Play every time he comes up with guys on.

Ruminator

Reaction score
For the team as a whole, I've been noticing in most of theiir games in the last couple weeks that they've consistently been getting guys on base (and in some games, almost every inning). That would be the envy of a number of clubs out there.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Why would it matter to hitters if they can hit home runs? Scouts don't just look at how many HRs a guy has, they understand all of the variables, and so it should not affect how much they're worth if their HR production isn't as high at Safeco Field (I will always call it this because name changes are stupid). Plus, they can swing for base hits instead.

The only reason I can think of is glory and record books in the home run category. However, if that's what a player cares about instead of winning, then we shouldn't want them on the team anyway.
If the player is a fly ball hitter it’s the difference between getting a hit or out. If Griffey had played his whole career in the Kingdome he probably would have hit over 700 HRs

fenderbender123

Reaction score
What makes somebody a flyball hitter? Isn't it just a miniscule change in the angle you swing if you're going for a base hit? Not trying to disagree, just don't know shit about this.

Crizilla

Reaction score
White Sox with a record of 6-22 played 2 guys batting in the .100s today. Your Seattle Mariners played 5 guys batting in the .100s today.

sutz

Reaction score
While not disagreeing with the general consensus that the offense has not hit its stride yet, I continue to not panic.

Recent history says we can go toe to toe with good teams. We just took series from both of last years WS teams. We're 2 games over .500 and still leading the division by half a game. We are 7-3 over the last 10 games.

This is not April of 2023. It's April of 2024 and we're doing significantly better than last season. The 3d base platoon is actually holding its own with average or better defense and some decent hitting. Polanco has been K-ing more than we like, but he has also been taking a lot of walks. Garver is the one guy who is not up to what was hoped, though he does have a couple of homers and a double in the last week or so. Probably wouldn't hurt to sit him for a day or two. It's April, he'll come around.

sutz

Reaction score
Kind of nice, though, how they win 2-3 games in a row so I only have to hear you guys whine about 1 game out of 3. :LOL:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Kind of nice, though, how they win 2-3 games in a row so I only have to hear you guys whine about 1 game out of 3. :LOL:
Sustainability. It's not about 1 game out of a series. You don't win championships or even get to the playoffs over the course of a season with what's going on offensively right now. It's not going to happen. Things will have to change. You cannot expect success with your 3 spot batting .150. I don't know what else to say. It's a miracle they are above .500. The starting pitching is silly good it's masking the offensive flaws.

Seahawk fans knew they weren't going to make another super bowl run with that awful run defense I don't remember anyone saying it's a Superbowl team after they won a game.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
2 games over .500, a +10 run differential and in first place…

Had no rational reason to think this would be the case after the first 2-3 weeks. With two days left in April worst case scenario is .500

Can’t win it all in April(1st qtr) but you can definitely dig a hole you never get out of.

Won’t lie, the strikeouts are getting ridiculous. 15 today with Zero walks…

The potential of Brash missing even more if not all of the season could add pressure to the pen late in the season, unless all the starters can continue going deep of course.

Latest posts