NFC WEST RESULTS & RANKINGS AFTER WEEK 2

Marvin49

Reaction score
In 1994 (and yes I'm old enough for this not to be ancient history to me), the 49ers opened by spanking the Raiders on Monday Night and then losing to Joe Montanas Chiefs a week later.

Three weeks later they got POUNDED by the Eagles at Candlestick 40-8.

They then lost only the last game of the regular season when they already had the #1 seed and pulled all of their starters on their way to winning the SB.

This ain't a point about how great the '94 Niners were. The point is that early on we don't know what any of these teams are. It takes even the best teams a few weeks to become who they will become for the rest of the season and its WAAAAYYYY too early know anything definitive.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":2rgbkr3t said:
In 1994 (and yes I'm old enough for this not to be ancient history to me), the 49ers opened by spanking the Raiders on Monday Night and then losing to Joe Montanas Chiefs a week later.

They then lost only the last game of the regular season when they already had the #1 seed and pulled all of their starters on their way to winning the SB.

This ain't a point about how great the '94 Niners were. The point is that early on we don't know what any of these teams are. It takes even the best teams a few weeks to become who they will become for the rest of the season and its WAAAAYYYY too early know anything definitive.

Not to mention injuries, who knows who'll still be standing week 17.

And for those that think the NFL steers games. There's always the COVID factor. Let's see how many times the favorite has starters that have to go under Covid protocol and can't play in particular games.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":3pk5kq6e said:

I understand that, but this is a message board so we're not waiting until week 17, and the title of the thread is week 2. It's fun to discuss.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2cuhuqe1 said:
Marvin49":2cuhuqe1 said:

I understand that, but this is a message board so we're not waiting until week 17, and the title of the thread is week 2. It's fun to discuss.

Well of course.

I'm just attempting to put in into context. We are too easily swayed from week to week.

NINEster

Reaction score
Fade":2rgyzqi6 said:
Marvin49":2rgyzqi6 said:
49ers having issues at RB as well.

The Rams have talent at the positions where it really counts, and McVay right now might be the best coach in the league.

:lol: cmon man.

He's good but not best.

NINEster

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":3a1bjv36 said:
Washington49er":3a1bjv36 said:
Marvin49":3a1bjv36 said:
ArlosSpecial":3a1bjv36 said:
That would be Grant Cohn I pasted his tweet guy lol

For what purpose? What point are you trying to make? Stats without context are useless.

Want an example?

QB DVOA through 2 games…

1. Matt Stafford: 55.2%
2. Patrick Mahomes: 53.5%
3. Tyrod Taylor: 48.3%
4. Jimmy Garoppolo: 42.1%
5. Russell Wilson: 40.4%

Should I then assume that Garoppolo is better than Wilson?

Of course not.

How about this:

Deebo Samuel - 282 Yards.
D.K. Metcalf - 113 yards.

Deebo>DK. Right?

Stats don't lie...except they do...all the time.

Wilson win % .677

Garopollo win % .787

Now we know currently Wilson is the better QB.

Starting to wonder if this guy knows football at all?

He should work in Vegas because apparently he can predict the winners and losers after week 2 of a 17 week season.
Jimmy is the worst starter in the league in terms of arm talent. If I go out and complete 20 out of 20 shovel passes it doesn't mean I have talent it means my coach knows I can't throw downfield. I'm surprised you don't know this.

Based on the thread in .NET about Wilson only throwing to the sideline, it appears Wilson has some throwing weaknesses of his own that even Seahawk fans are starting to come to terms with (where I and a few other Niner fans were laughed at as being haters -- just returning the Kap favor).

Of course, his strengths are sexier than Jimmy's, which is why it's easy to gloss over it and say that Wilson is amazing and Garoppolo is average (or worse). Because when you put the highlights together, that's what it would look like

But QBing is more than pure arm talent. And honestly the consensus from Niner fans is that Jimmy is not great throwing outside the #s or deep (just a question of how "not great" he is). But he more or less throws the rest of the passes at a top 10 level. Most casuals do not know this, they just parrot what the standard talking points are.

Certain throws Jimmy does even better than Wilson. While you will likely never see a bombs away affair from Jimmy, I almost never see Wilson make the throws that Jimmy made like the one to Deebo Samuel splitting defenders last week against the Eagles, the Deebo TD against the Packers on SNF in 2019, the game winning TD against the Steelers in 2019, the Kittle TD on 4th down against the Rams on SNF last year......those decisive throws down the middle of the field from the pocket, settled into the drop, without any dancing 10-20 yards down field is not in Wilson's arsenal like other QBs.

But Wilson makes that TD throw in the corner of the end zone to Lockett against the Rams on SNF two years ago, and well that's everything you ever needed from a QB..... :roll:

Everything from Wilson seemingly are bomb arcs down the sidelines, sideline out routes by the 1st down marker, bombs between the #s off play action, nice air touches on wheel routes, and any kind of broken play you can fathom. But the type of bread and butter anticipation surgery people have come to watch from the likes of Montana, Young, Marino, Peyton, Elway, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, has never really been a part of his game. It was almost literally completely absent from his game, and has gotten better over the last 3 years but never elite IMO.

Which is ok, but if he had that, maybe he'd be the best undeniable QB in the league instead of a flashy one for half the season.

As for Jimmy, having bottom 10 arm talent in an era where you can no longer win games solely on run game and defense would mean he wouldn't have the high winning percentage he does. Just not possible.

Washington49er

Reaction score
NINEster":1ebamq7c said:
ArlosSpecial":1ebamq7c said:
Washington49er":1ebamq7c said:
Marvin49":1ebamq7c said:
For what purpose? What point are you trying to make? Stats without context are useless.

Want an example?

QB DVOA through 2 games…

1. Matt Stafford: 55.2%
2. Patrick Mahomes: 53.5%
3. Tyrod Taylor: 48.3%
4. Jimmy Garoppolo: 42.1%
5. Russell Wilson: 40.4%

Should I then assume that Garoppolo is better than Wilson?

Of course not.

How about this:

Deebo Samuel - 282 Yards.
D.K. Metcalf - 113 yards.

Deebo>DK. Right?

Stats don't lie...except they do...all the time.

Wilson win % .677

Garopollo win % .787

Now we know currently Wilson is the better QB.

Starting to wonder if this guy knows football at all?

He should work in Vegas because apparently he can predict the winners and losers after week 2 of a 17 week season.
Jimmy is the worst starter in the league in terms of arm talent. If I go out and complete 20 out of 20 shovel passes it doesn't mean I have talent it means my coach knows I can't throw downfield. I'm surprised you don't know this.

Based on the thread in .NET about Wilson only throwing to the sideline, it appears Wilson has some throwing weaknesses of his own that even Seahawk fans are starting to come to terms with (where I and a few other Niner fans were laughed at as being haters -- just returning the Kap favor).

Of course, his strengths are sexier than Jimmy's, which is why it's easy to gloss over it and say that Wilson is amazing and Garoppolo is average (or worse). Because when you put the highlights together, that's what it would look like

But QBing is more than pure arm talent. And honestly the consensus from Niner fans is that Jimmy is not great throwing outside the #s or deep (just a question of how "not great" he is). But he more or less throws the rest of the passes at a top 10 level. Most casuals do not know this, they just parrot what the standard talking points are.

Certain throws Jimmy does even better than Wilson. While you will likely never see a bombs away affair from Jimmy, I almost never see Wilson make the throws that Jimmy made like the one to Deebo Samuel splitting defenders last week against the Eagles, the Deebo TD against the Packers on SNF in 2019, the game winning TD against the Steelers in 2019, the Kittle TD on 4th down against the Rams on SNF last year......those decisive throws down the middle of the field from the pocket, settled into the drop, without any dancing 10-20 yards down field is not in Wilson's arsenal like other QBs.

But Wilson makes that TD throw in the corner of the end zone to Lockett against the Rams on SNF two years ago, and well that's everything you ever needed from a QB..... :roll:

Everything from Wilson seemingly are bomb arcs down the sidelines, sideline out routes by the 1st down marker, bombs between the #s off play action, nice air touches on wheel routes, and any kind of broken play you can fathom. But the type of bread and butter anticipation surgery people have come to watch from the likes of Montana, Young, Marino, Peyton, Elway, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, has never really been a part of his game. It was almost literally completely absent from his game, and has gotten better over the last 3 years but never elite IMO.

Which is ok, but if he had that, maybe he'd be the best undeniable QB in the league instead of a flashy one for half the season.

As for Jimmy, having bottom 10 arm talent in an era where you can no longer win games solely on run game and defense would mean he wouldn't have the high winning percentage he does. Just not possible.

He just hates Jimmy G, starting to wonder if he diddled his sister or something.