NFL 2020 Futility Thread

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":tykgi2x2 said:
Uncle Si":tykgi2x2 said:
SantaClaraHawk":tykgi2x2 said:
Uncle Si":tykgi2x2 said:
You're not putting someone in a "bubble" for 5 months.

MLS went to bubble mode and in a bubble you won't have a Marlins situation.

MLB has way more money to test but outside the bubble mode it took 72 hours for one of their teams to be rendered temporarily nonoperational, and they got another positive today.

NFL won't be able to preclude a Whitworth situation where family gives it to the player, player shows up neg on Friday or Saturday, gets cleared to play and then come Monday, they're positive and so are two others from that team. Their opponents were just in a scrum pile with them so NOW what do you do?

At least you are consistent.

These leagues in bubble mode are finishing month long tournaments... not a 5 month league. You can figure out the rest by researching how soccer has done it in europe and stop with pointless what is like Whitaorth if you want to have the conversation.

I'm going to ignore the nonsense about getting it while playing, as you ignore my previous responses to it.

Is bit different in a full contact sport, you can't play 10 games a month, also 60 players, 20 coaches and trainers, then you have exits to Hospitals for xrays and other needs typically multiples for every game for just in case stuff.

Certainly obstacles... they may need to minimize staff sizes, and will definitely set up a system of return and testing.

Nothing will be perfect. People will get covid. But, unless the people involved are completely unreliable, the potentials can be fairly mitigated.

The worst case scenarios always seem to be the topic of choice for some.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":5e3thja9 said:
SantaClaraHawk":5e3thja9 said:
Uncle Si":5e3thja9 said:
James in PA":5e3thja9 said:
Put ‘em in a bubble or the season is not happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLB has way more money to test but outside the bubble mode it took 72 hours for one of their teams to be rendered temporarily nonoperational, and they got another positive today.

NFL won't be able to preclude a Whitworth situation where family gives it to the player, player shows up neg on Friday or Saturday, gets cleared to play and then come Monday, they're positive and so are two others from that team. Their opponents were just in a scrum pile with them so NOW what do you do?

These leagues in bubble mode are finishing month long tournaments... not a 5 month league. You can figure out the rest by researching how soccer has done it in europe and stop with pointless what is like Whitaorth if you want to have the conversation.

I'm going to ignore the nonsense about getting it while playing, as you ignore my previous responses to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your hypothesis is that it's more likely that players will get it at the facility or have it confined there, and that testing will stop it from getting on the field, and if it does there is negligible risk of it spreading to other players, correct?

Because that's what my posts were addressing.

Yes more testing unmasks more positives but all testing is going to miss cases at the early stage who only test positive right after the game. It's already happened in a less-contact sport and those teams are quarantined.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1suy0vy2 said:
Uncle Si":1suy0vy2 said:
SantaClaraHawk":1suy0vy2 said:
Uncle Si":1suy0vy2 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your hypothesis is that it's more likely that players will get it at the facility or have it confined there, and that testing will stop it from getting on the field, and if it does there is negligible risk of it spreading to other players, correct?

Because that's what my posts were addressing.

Yes more testing unmasks more positives but all testing is going to miss cases at the early stage who only test positive right after the game. It's already happened in a less-contact sport and those teams are quarantined.

Thats not a hypothesis. That is the proven result. Your posts aren't addressing the fallibilities of baseballs fractured system,, just populating the results to football.

"Contact" sport has nothing to do with it.

If you're actually interested in this, you will go out and research how soccer leagues have done it and how they made it successful.

chrispy

Reaction score
Players will get it. You two can argue all you want about when or how, but that's not really relevant. They'll get it in the facility from someone that has it and doesn't know. They'll get it the night after a big win and someone goes out to a bar. They'll get it from friends and family. They'll get it in game too. ... but that doesn't matter. It's only relevant that the precautions are beneficial, but they're not going to prevent outbreaks.

There's no way that MLB is a worse case scenario. It's just normal. The second day out a team is basically shut down and now a second. That's not worst case, that's just what you'd expect when you tell 22 year old millionaires that they have new, very restrictive, rules but no enforcement. Someone's going to break the rules.

So if you're uncomfortable drawing parallels between leagues, make a brand new scenario where the players interact with a lot more people because there is no bubble. It doesn't take a computer model to predict a lot of players are going to get Covid. The real question is: Then what?

Is the league comfortable with games where one team has 10 starters out and the other team doesn't?
Will some teams have better control on the players' behavior and therefore have a competitive advantage? (Is this why the Patriots have more opting out?)
Will the NFL cancel a game if one team has an outbreak knowing that tests are less accurate before symptoms show?
Will players out sick with Covid count against the cap? ... and what happens if a team has to sign 15-25 players off the street and no cap room?
If a player (or coach, or owner- Jerry) breaks distancing rules, will that count as "risky" or detrimental-to-the-team and have an impact on their contract?
Will there be Coaches or trainers that opt out too and, since there's no coach's union, are they protected in any way or is it just quitting?
How many owners will be on the sidelines during the 4th Q rubbing elbows with players.
I'd assume no Coach handshake after the game...???

Uncle Si

Reaction score
5 European soccer leagues have been playing professionally since mid may to early June. Tens of thousands of players, hundreds of games.

Less than 70 players and staff have tested positive in that time. Less than 10, across all leagues, since july.

Noone has opted out.

The English Premier league started mid may- condu ting over 24000 tests of its players and staff (about 3k people) with 18 positive stats. Marlins have surpassed that in one round.

It can be done, with little infection.

Amazing what people are willing to accept as normal.

MLB IS a worst case scenario. They bumbled it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":akcz0qju said:
5 European soccer leagues have been playing professionally since mid may to early June. Tens of thousands of players, hundreds of games.

Less than 70 players and staff have tested positive in that time. Less than 10, across all leagues, since july.

Noone has opted out.

The English Premier league started mid may- condu ting over 24000 tests of its players and staff (about 3k people) with 18 positive stats. Marlins have surpassed that in one round.

We are not Europe, for Christs Sakes we can't even get people to wear a mask right here, not covering the nose is not wearing a mask.

Every player knows that camps are getting ready to start and they should be isolating and not running around, yet we hear new infections going on.

Coleman today another example, if not the players then their posses and wife and girlfriends etc.

Wagner made a good statement, for anything to work the players must be more disciplined then ever before, telling a
bunch of young men they have to jump this high and when doesn't work well most times.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":2locy0wt said:
Uncle Si":2locy0wt said:

Noone has opted out.

We are not Europe, for Christs Sakes we can't even get people to wear a mask right here, not covering the nose is not wearing a mask.

Every player knows that camps are getting ready to start and they should be isolating and not running around, yet we hear new infections going on.

Coleman today another example, if not the players then their posses and wife and girlfriends etc.

Wagner made a good statement, for anything to work the players must be more disciplined then ever before, telling a
bunch of young men they have to jump this high and when doesn't work well most times.

Because we are not europe doesnt make their plan a failure here.

Honestly...why do we continue to expect so little of these guys and put a plan in place that permits their lack of discipline.

Its absurd. Plenty of Americans playing soccer in europe.

chrispy

Reaction score
I hope you're right. I hope the NFL and players are more responsible than the rest of the country. I hope one or two people don't fail to take precautions and infect dozens others. I hope cases don't surge and that the example inspires the rest of the country. I'm just not going to bet on it. My prediction is that there should be considerable energy invested in preparing for the outbreaks and not only in defining how to avoid them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chrispy":2h3rsjz8 said:
I hope you're right. I hope the NFL and players are more responsible than the rest of the country. I hope one or two people don't fail to take precautions and infect dozens others. I hope cases don't surge and that the example inspires the rest of the country. I'm just not going to bet on it. My prediction is that there should be considerable energy invested in preparing for the outbreaks and not only in defining how to avoid them.

I'm sure there is significant planning around the sporting integrity of a game if multiple people are missing because of covid.

You'd think players would also recognize that importance.

Its not like the Premier league hasn't had breaches in protocol.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I was watching the Padres-Giants game yesterday. Giants down 5 until the 7th inning, they tied it up going into the bottom of the 9th, and the Padres annihilated them with six runs in the 10th.

The Padres hugged each other, they high-fived each other. They did it knowing what went on with the Marlins and they did it on live TV.

They did it knowing that they're coming from a relatively infected area in SoCal. They did it when they knew, or should have known, about the Andrew Whitworth situation.

MLB let alone NFL rules do not preclude what happened to Whitworth, which was a family member having lunch with a friend who had become infected and then spreading it to him and his whole family.

American soccer and basketball players are ensconced from the outside with limited if any outside involvement including family. Examples from these sports or any other doing things overseas where there's orders of magnitude less of community spread just shows that's a safer environment now overseas that does not apply here. MLB and NFL didn't bubble. MLB is now already affected but they finish their regular season 9/27.

EDIT: Cardinals vs Brewers is now postponed because of positives among the Cards.https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/ca ... r-BB17pIXB

Bringing it to now six teams whose games have been "postponed." They're talking about doing 7-inning doubleheaders now. It's not like NFL has those same options.

EDIT2: MLB Commish is talking about shutting the whole thing down if numbers don't improve and if players aren't compliant with the steps in place. If I was being a millionaire I wouldn't high-five anyone but as everyone saw from the above even those priorities differ . https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/295 ... oronavirus

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You really don't get it... and don't care.

4 paragraphs and you spit the same information and still... still have not gone out and looked and how this is done successfully. Orders of magnitude?

No.. process and policy.

Do you even care... or do you enjoy the headline drama?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I keep answering you.

One, we aren't in Europe.
Two, MLS is in a bubble in America, like NFL and NBA.
Three, the MLB non bubble approach, the closest to NFL, has already resulted in half a team testing positive.

Seriously man look at the Lions. Golladay and now their QB Stafford are on the Covid-19 reserve going into camp. T

That's like losing Lockett and Russ for now.

This is going to happen to players through the season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2h76ogoo said:
I keep answering you.

Three, the MLB non bubble approach, the closest to NFL, has already resulted in half a team testing positive.

Seriously man look at the Lions. Golladay and now their QB Stafford are on the Covid-19 reserve going into camp. T

Not being in europe makes no difference. None.

Being in a bubble makes no difference. None.

Two people testing positive is part of the process. You think prople testing positive doesn't/didnt happen in european soccer? You run drama like you're a nightly news anchor and ignore basic policies and processes that work.. why don't you look at the difference between the mlb approach and soccer, instead ilof "its not europe" what does that even have to do with it.

You could be calling for the NFL to adopt similar strategies to European soccer.. if you bothered to look at them. Instead.. " Stafford has covid... oh no"

The FA cup final was played today in London. Two players and a head coach who tested positive during the restart program were active in the final.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1vnxckpr said:
SantaClaraHawk":1vnxckpr said:
I keep answering you.

Two people testing positive is part of the process. You think prople testing positive doesn't/didnt happen in european soccer? You run drama like you're a nightly news anchor and ignore basic policies and processes that work.. why don't you look at the difference between the mlb approach and soccer, instead ilof "its not europe" what does that even have to do with it.

You could be calling for the NFL to adopt similar strategies to European soccer.. if you bothered to look at them. Instead.. " Stafford has covid... oh no"

The FA cup final was played today in London. Two players and a head coach who tested positive during the restart program were active in the final.

You clearly know more about European soccer. What exactly are they doing there that lowers their risk that is NOT tied to community spread? What exactly is there that can be applied to the American model given the huge amounts of community spread here, other than not having fans?

In overseas sports that have reopened, has there been any team that has had 50 percent of its starters test positive on the road as what happened just now with the Marlins? I can't opine on how European soccer would have handled that--I don't know--but if that happened in SK the whole thing would have been immediately shut down.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":a2yr5pxh said:
Uncle Si":a2yr5pxh said:
SantaClaraHawk":a2yr5pxh said:
I keep answering you.

You clearly know more about European soccer. What exactly are they doing there that lowers their risk that is NOT tied to community spread? What exactly is there that can be applied to the American model given the huge amounts of community spread here, other than not having fans?

In overseas sports that have reopened, has there been any team that has had 50 percent of its starters test positive on the road as what happened just now with the Marlins? I can't opine on how European soccer would have handled that--I don't know--but if that happened in SK the whole thing would have been immediately shut down.

Why don't you look it up... you post dozens of new topics on here direct from internet.

It will make it an easier discussion when you do.

But the first thing was a testing window (week long testing before the start of camp), then an extended training camp before games. This cleared out many of the positives contracted by players in general day to day life.

You keep going back to the Marlins. Thats not the norm. In fact it's a worst case scenario.

The NFL catching Staffird months before its season is the point of the process.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3qrud4v8 said:
SantaClaraHawk":3qrud4v8 said:
Uncle Si":3qrud4v8 said:
SantaClaraHawk":3qrud4v8 said:
I keep answering you.

Why don't you look it up... you post dozens of new topics on here direct from internet.

But the first thing was a testing window (week long testing before the start of camp), then an extended training camp before games. This cleared out many of the positives contracted by players in general day to day life.

You keep going back to the Marlins. Thats not the norm. In fact it's a worst case scenario.

I have looked it up. But this isn't a sport that I follow at any measure whereas you do. You know more about it. W Therefore I'm asking you for your insight as to how that model would transfer here given our community spread versus theirs since you are clearly more familiar with that sport and its protocols overseas.

One of the worst-case scenarios for football would have been the Lions putting Stafford and Golladay on the Covid-19 reserve during the active season. There's a competitive advantage toward getting it now, perversely, since they presumably won't be on this list later this season.

OP
OP
bmorepunk

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The latest updates I can find are that 38 players have opted out (CJ Mosley being the highest profile in recent days) and that the opt-out deadline is expected to be Tuesday/Wednesday based on the date the new CBA was signed.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":9xezdumf said:
Uncle Si":9xezdumf said:
SantaClaraHawk":9xezdumf said:
Uncle Si":9xezdumf said:

I have looked it up. But this isn't a sport that I follow at any measure whereas you do. You know more about it. W Therefore I'm asking you for your insight as to how that model would transfer here given our community spread versus theirs since you are clearly more familiar with that sport and its protocols overseas.

One of the worst-case scenarios for football would have been the Lions putting Stafford and Golladay on the Covid-19 reserve during the active season. There's a competitive advantage toward getting it now, perversely, since they presumably won't be on this list later this season.

I dont think the sport makes a difference.

They had a week of intensive testing before they even started training. Then a month of training with testing every other day. All this before ganes.

Regimented, structured restrictions for players when not at the complex.

Numbers indicate it worked, at least for the abbreviated restart.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
About a month ago, the 49ers announced one of their WRs had tested positive and as a result they were quarantining not just that group but the TEs, RBs and the QBs.

We don't know if that's the rule for the NFL going forward. Or if it should be a rule. I doubt the players even know.

EDIT [tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1290015208442740736[/tweet]

Oh man
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1290015208442740736