NFL Power Rankings, Week 9

ivotuk

Reaction score
Rank 9 Seattle Seahawks 5-3
Previous rank: No. 15

The Seahawks continued their surge on Sunday, leaning on a suddenly stout defense in concert with more steady production from Geno Smith and the offense in a 27-13 win over the Giants at a frenzied Lumen Field.

Much credit for Seattle's rise is due to Pete Carroll, who absolutely should be seen as a favorite for Coach of the Year honors.

Carroll empowered Smith from the moment Russell Wilson was traded, putting his trust in a journeyman quarterback who has rewarded his coach's faith.

Then there's the defensive side of the ball -- Carroll's specialty -- which has stacked three consecutive weeks of strong play after a woeful start to the season. These Seahawks are for real.

GemCity

Reaction score
ESPN has them at 8. Reason for optimism: Rookie class

As if we needed to be told, you know the future is bright when you look at these youngsters!!

SeaWolv

Reaction score
As GemCity said:

ESPN Power Ranking Week 9

Seahawks #8 Quote:
With three straight wins and a one-game lead in the NFC West, the Seahawks have plenty of reasons for optimism. Their rookie class is one of them, both for the long term and the present. Six of their nine draft picks are already big-time contributors. Charles Cross and Abe Lucas both rank in the top half of starting tackles in ESPN's pass block win rate. Running back Kenneth Walker III has five touchdowns over the past four games. Cornerbacks Tariq Woolen and Coby Bryant have forced a combined eight turnovers. Outside linebacker Boye Mafe has a pair of sacks. Undrafted safety Joey Blount is making an impact on special teams as well.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
The 49ers are getting all sorts of love, ranking Top 5. Kinda of unbelievable for a 4-4 team.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised the Eagles aren't #1. They've only had 2 turnovers the entire year and are +14 in turnover margin for the season. That's incredibly good. No turnovers for a month. That's about as clean as you can get.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised the Eagles aren't #1. They've only had 2 turnovers the entire year and are +14 in turnover margin for the season. That's incredibly good. No turnovers for a month. That's about as clean as you can get.

Great points, but I believe the reason for Buffalo being #1 is Strength of Schedule.

Dallas and Minnesota are the only good teams they've played. And even the Vikings are kind of "meh."

Philadelphia Eagles:

Detroit W 38-35

Minnesota W 24-7

Washington W 24-8

Jacksonville W 29-21

Arizona W 20-17

Dallas W 26-17

Pittsburgh W 35-13

Buffalo Bills:

L.A. Rams W 31-10

Tennessee W 41-7

Miami L 21-19

Baltimore W 23-20

Pittsburgh W 38-3

Kansas City W 24-20

Green Bay W 27-17

Last edited:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The 49ers are getting all sorts of love, ranking Top 5. Kinda of unbelievable for a 4-4 team.

I get the love with McCaffrey and they are looking stacked in general but I think #5 is a bit high. #8 or #9 sounds about right for the Seahawks if not even higher, but I am not ready to call the 4-4 49ers a Top 5 team....Yet.