No Love for #3

mistaowen

Reaction score
Referees are certainly bad this year and probably the worst they've been in sometime, yesterday was absolutely steered. There were so many uncalled plays versus questionable judgement calls that pushed the game to a better finish. 49ers were on the receiving end of almost all. It was what, 4x 15 yard penalties on Seahawks compared to 0 back breaking ones for them?

I'm not saying the league went out and said give the 49ers a win, I'm saying the consistent judgement calls went one way to make it a close MNF battle. As soon as they put up 21 points I knew the Seahawks wouldn't be getting any judgement/benefit calls the rest of the game, at least until it was tied. I don't think anyone would doubt the NFL would do that for ratings.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":3f7szokx said:
Sgt. Largent":3f7szokx said:
You're right, but Al Woods also body slammed Jimmy, and that wasn't called.

I know we love nothing more here than our everyone hates us for no apparent reason whatsover, but we're going to perpetuate this irrational idea until the day we die................but the reality is the reffing in NFL games is just that terrible.

Do you guys not watch other NFL games? It's bad ALL THE TIME.

Woods was not a body slam the rule is you must lift him up off the ground and slam him woods never does that. FYI they missed 3 facemask on Wilson, 2 in the grasps, 2 hits while sliding etc etc.

It absolutely was a penalty by the league rules.

But I'm done arguing with you tinfoil hat wearers. You're right, the league hates us, the refs hate us, everyone hates us. If only by the grace of the almighty football gods that we won a SB at all, I can't believe we're so amazing that we've overcome this sort of egregious evil heinous bias that's so clear week in and week out.

I can't believe Pete doesn't just ask Jody to move the team to a city where the league will love us, so we can finally be a legacy team that the league and refs makes calls for.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1cn3its5 said:
I dont think anything is "rigged" per se, but I still the think the truth lies somewhere in between.

There is NO WAY, NONE that Brady or Rodgers dont draw a flag for either of those calls last night. If you so much as graze Brady's left kneecap he draws a flag. So I do think there is some (even if its subconscious) bias at play at times.

The rest of the crap we saw last night was probably just gross incompetence. Probably. Although, that "in the grasp" BS tends to shift me to conspiracy land. That seems even beyond sucking at your job. How do you call that????

Certain players might get an unintentional bias with some officials. It happens in the NBA and it happens in the NFL. But I don't think it happens as much as some people make it out to be.

Officials intentionally going after players? I can't think of any NFL examples but I remember that Spurs game where Duncan got ejected for laughing at Joey Crawford from the bench. Crawford had serious issues. But that's pretty rare.

Officials doing something due to financial gain? That can happen, but once again, really rare.

If there is indeed an error made, then it's almost always just human error. It's a tough thing to do to watch what's happening in real time and make calls based on a complex set of rules. Could it be better? Yeah. Is it the "worst ever" now? Probably not.

And like Sgt. Largent has said, a lot of the rules are subjective and every fan base I'm aware of thinks there is some kind of bias against them. It's easier to full-on scapegoat the officials or drum up really complicated conspiracy theories than accept a loss straight up for many people.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The NFL likes what is happening or they’d fix the longtime officiating problem. Overall they are getting their desired results or they would fix the problem that has been going on for a decade or more. If it was merely incompetence they’d simply fire the shitty officials and the problem would be solved.

They need to streamline the rule book and only call obvious penalties. They also need to have an independent body that isn’t associated with the NFL, grade and punish underperforming officials and make all discipline PUBLIC. They then need to terminate the worst officials.

I believe “steering” towards a desired result is very real in today’s NFL.
....and it isn’t because they hate Seattle, it’s financial.

The more success the “legacy teams” with big fanbases have the more playoff and Super Bowl swag the NFL sells.
IT’S SIMPLY ABOUT THE $$$. The NFL would love to have the Niners or Cowboys, 2 longtime legacy franchises that haven’t won a Super Bowl since the mid 1990’s, win. That would be a huge cash cow for the league, they’d sell a crapton of Quest for 6 swag alone.

They can only steer games to a point though, or they have another XL* situation on their hands, where fans of all stripes are questioning the integrity of the game. The officiating walked right up to that point last night and stopped just short of it.

The “Legacy team theory“ is very real whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Sealake80

Reaction score
Nfl needs to drug test refs 3 times a week and leave the players alone.

Game is almost unwatchable.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's a matter of consistency. If calls are bad but called uniformly then that's something that we can live with.

When they overlook multiple calls against the 49ers vs. Russ and then whistle Russ down on the one play that he turns into a positive gain then that's bad in just one direction and it does cause fans to break out the tin foil hats. Similarly, when Sherman is draped all over a receiver then throwing a DPI on Flowers feels bad.

The non-conspiracy theory for calls that seem to favor one team is that expectations influence perception. Michael Jordan received very favorable calls throughout his career because the refs were expecting him to make a great move or shot. Similarly, the 49ers were 8-0 and looked pretty good so far this season. It's not that big of a stretch to suggest the refs were expecting them to play better than they did and that their calls mirrored those expectations.

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1htemjac said:
John63":1htemjac said:
Sgt. Largent":1htemjac said:

I know we love nothing more here than our everyone hates us for no apparent reason whatsover, but we're going to perpetuate this irrational idea until the day we die................but the reality is the reffing in NFL games is just that terrible.

Woods was not a body slam the rule is you must lift him up off the ground and slam him woods never does that. FYI they missed 3 facemask on Wilson, 2 in the grasps, 2 hits while sliding etc etc.

But I'm done arguing with you tinfoil hat wearers. You're right, the league hates us, the refs hate us, everyone hates us. If only by the grace of the almighty football gods that we won a SB at all, I can't believe we're so amazing that we've overcome this sort of egregious evil heinous bias that's so clear week in and week out.

I can't believe Pete doesn't just ask Jody to move the team to a city where the league will love us, so we can finally be a legacy team that the league and refs makes calls for.

LOL yeah well your wrong it was not a penalty you need top lift them off the ground that is what the rule says.

xray

Reaction score
Officiating and the league are targeting the Hawks ? That's showbiz in the NFL :!:

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
"Legacy team theory"
"East Coast bias"
"They want Bettis to win in his hometown"

Sometimes this can be an absolutely ridiculous place to come to. You may as well say that 9/11 was perpetrated by a team of ninja janitors that painted the elevator shafts of the World Trade Centers with Super Thermite. :179419:

davidonmi

Reaction score
Last night's game was not "rigged" and the refs were definitely affected by the home crowd.

Both these things are true

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
That no call was atrocious, but overall I didn't think the calls made were that bad. I agreed with most on replay even though I thought some were ticky-tack against us. But any fan is gonna say that.

There wasn't anything like for example those two phantom facemask calls against Detroit.

samwize77

Reaction score
Is it the NFL possibly steering officiating? or who else would benefit?...that's right..we know who. I would believe it easier for "the mob" to control the refs than the NFL. …..lol...…..I'm joking...or am I?.....lol....certainly no "paper trail"...…...doesn't matter the team(s)..just the over/under...and spread......I could see why every team might be abused at one time or another...……….it makes sense in a lot of ways....oh...and they are union yes?...………….lololol

Don't kill me...I'm just havin fun :)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":2munzqf9 said:
"They want Bettis to win in his hometown"
Did you watch the pregame? It was 75 % stealers talk
Are you aware the OPI on DJack was called by an official born, raised and still residing at the time in Pittsburgh, PA?
Even John Madden said he didn't see a hold on the most critical play of the game, the hold on Sean Locklear
Did you see the stealer D-lineman offsides on that play that was not called?
Did you notice the stealer o-lineman 15 yards downfield not called on a pass play?

I could go on but no need. Do I think it was scripted? Probably not but there's no doubt there was at least a very real subconscious bias and it was strong and it had a huge effect on the outcome of the game. Besides, if you have to ask if it was "steered" there's a problem.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bag3jkn said:
John63":3bag3jkn said:
Sgt. Largent":3bag3jkn said:

oooo. Promise?

jeremiah

Reaction score
Can't we just agree that RW is treated differently than other QBs? I could find at least 5 times this year he was hit after he began his slide on a run. The vast majority of times it is flagged even if the player has left his feet before the slide. I also have seen many times that players line up offsides and it is not flagged. On Monday night towards the end of the game, the play clock reached 00 before the snap of the 9ers. The play was not blown dead, the result was a TD.

Quite simply, the referees are atrociously bad. They are as bad as I have ever seen.

IMO, get rid of the replays, get rid of challenges for PI. Just let the referees call the game. I liked the game much better when it was 3 hours or less long.

rcaido

Reaction score
jeremiah":2a8il9ee said:
Can't we just agree that RW is treated differently than other QBs? I could find at least 5 times this year he was hit after he began his slide on a run. The vast majority of times it is flagged even if the player has left his feet before the slide. I also have seen many times that players line up offsides and it is not flagged. On Monday night towards the end of the game, the play clock reached 00 before the snap of the 9ers. The play was not blown dead, the result was a TD.

Quite simply, the referees are atrociously bad. They are as bad as I have ever seen.

IMO, get rid of the replays, get rid of challenges for PI. Just let the referees call the game. I liked the game much better when it was 3 hours or less long.

Get rid of replays? Are you nuts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jeremiah":cyj9ri32 said:
Can't we just agree that RW is treated differently than other QBs?

This is what they've been saying in Carolina for 10 years about Cam. This is what they said in Atlanta forever about Michael Vick......and I guarantee you this is what they'll be saying in Baltimore for the next 10 years about Jackson.

Anytime you have a unique super quick and versatile QB that uses his legs more than most QB's, you're going to see the refs treat them different.

btw, Pete said in his presser yesterday that he's asking the league office for an explanation on the "in the grasp" call that Russell somehow spun out of but the play was whistled dead for a sack.

So for as much as I also yell at the TV when Russell slides down and takes a hit that sure looks like it could be a late hit, I also want the refs to let Russell do his thing and extend the play when guys are draped all over him.

Guarantee you that's what the league office is telling Pete today.......you can't have it both ways, if you want us to allow Russell to do his thing and fight for every yard he can when scrambling, then you're going to have some slide and escape plays where the refs let Russell take a shot vs treat him like Brady and other stationary QB's that the league wants to protect.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1iudbihl said:
jeremiah":1iudbihl said:
Can't we just agree that RW is treated differently than other QBs?

This is what they've been saying in Carolina for 10 years about Cam. This is what they said in Atlanta forever about Michael Vick......and I guarantee you this is what they'll be saying in Baltimore for the next 10 years about Jackson.

Anytime you have a unique super quick and versatile QB that uses his legs more than most QB's, you're going to see the refs treat them different.

btw, Pete said in his presser yesterday that he's asking the league office for an explanation on the "in the grasp" call that Russell somehow spun out of but the play was whistled dead for a sack.

So for as much as I also yell at the TV when Russell slides down and takes a hit that sure looks like it could be a late hit, I also want the refs to let Russell do his thing and extend the play when guys are draped all over him.

Guarantee you that's what the league office is telling Pete today.......you can't have it both ways, if you want us to allow Russell to do his thing and fight for every yard he can when scrambling, then you're going to have some slide and escape plays where the refs let Russell take a shot vs treat him like Brady and other stationary QB's that the league wants to protect.

I understand the premise of what you are saying, however in the case of a QB giving himself up and sliding it shouldnt matter whether he is a running QB or not.

The minute he gives himself up with a slide, he's down, so why would/should the refs give extra leeway to a defender who takes a shot late? If he's running, sure. Treat him as if hes a running back, but not on a slide, and I think that's what many of the guys here are alluding to.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2t403bsa said:

This guy gets it. Bad calls are made all the time. It’s ridiculous to think it only happens to us. For just about every play that goes against us, we get a favorable one. In the end, they should balance out.