Offensive coordinator candidates for 2024

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Kevin Patullo, Eagles passing game coordinator/assistant HC:

Kevin Patullo, 42, has done excellent work with the Eagles and should get some looks. Initially, Jalen Hurts was not an especially competent passer. He lacked polish and playmaking ability (on throws), famously getting benched for Tua in the National Championship and transferring out.

Alex Van Pelt, Browns OC

Alex Van Pelt (AVP), 53, has had varied success in the league, mainly as a quarterbacks coach. He was poached off of the Bengals, where he coached Joe Burrow, by the Browns to be their OC. He could be interviewed despite being a current OC as he is not the primary playcaller in Cleveland, making this a promotion rather than a lateral move.

Bill Musgrave, Browns Senior Offensive Assistant

Remember when the Eagles had Foles/Sanchez light the league up for almost 5000 combined yards? He was the QB coach. Has had several stops at OC, none lasting more than 2 years, but you could probably do worse for a team that needs to hit the basics.

Greg Olson, Seahawks QB coach

TBH, fire Waldron today and make him the interim. Experienced OC who, again, has gotten fired more than a couple of times, but who hasn't been solely bad.

Jerrod Johnson, Texans QB Coach

Young coach who is rising fast. Former longtime NFL backup QB. Presiding over the emergence of CJ Stroud under young coordinator Bobby Slowik.

Brennan Carroll, Arizona OC

SHUT UP STOP YELLING!
Yes, total nepotism. But Arizona looks really, really good on offense - and he's coaching under Jedd Fisch. I literally wouldn't even be mad. How much more chemistry can you get than a literal father/son duo? As long as it isn't Nate. Nate's too goofy.

Dave Canales, Buccaneers OC

Dave is doing good with what he has, but Bowles could very well get canned at the end of the year and you never really know who the new guy will keep who on staff. Canales is a rising star and he's home-grown.

Darrell Bevell, Dolphins Passing Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach

Lmao, I couldn't resist.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don’t think Waldron is the problem. A few of the problems were changed at the line of scrimmage including the bizarre run before the field goal attempt. We also do have shorter routes but Geno holds on and doesn’t see them.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I don’t think Waldron is the problem. A few of the problems were changed at the line of scrimmage including the bizarre run before the field goal attempt. We also do have shorter routes but Geno holds on and doesn’t see them.
You seriously watched that game and thought the calls, after the opening few drives, were any good? The bizarre run was called by Geno since he couldn't get the call from the sidelines. I think Waldron is a huge part of the problem with our offense and needs to go. I'm not really sure what you saw that would have you blame Geno, other than the run call which is on him.

Waldron's calls are too predictable and didn't fool anyone today. Same thing we've seen for weeks now. The opening calls are great, the remainder of the game they are terrible. It's like two different teams out there on the field.

Ozzy

Reaction score
You seriously watched that game and thought the calls, after the opening few drives, were any good? The bizarre run was called by Geno since he couldn't get the call from the sidelines. I think Waldron is a huge part of the problem with our offense and needs to go. I'm not really sure what you saw that would have you blame Geno, other than the run call which is on him.

Waldron's calls are too predictable and didn't fool anyone today. Same thing we've seen for weeks now. The opening calls are great, the remainder of the game they are terrible. It's like two different teams out there on the field.
Yeah after watching a bunch of plays it’s more execution than play calling even though no one wants to hear that.

I did think Waldron made a few mistakes tonight but it’s also hard to know what was called or how many times Geno has an option based on what he’s seeing. Geno had multiple plays with underneath stuff open and didn’t get it off. Waldron and Geno need to get better.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's not the result, it's the process used to achieve the result that makes me think Waldron's ass is probably grass after the season.

Only complication is Dickerson and him are a package deal.

James in PA

Reaction score
View attachment 61961

Kevin Patullo, 42, has done excellent work with the Eagles and should get some looks. Initially, Jalen Hurts was not an especially competent passer. He lacked polish and playmaking ability (on throws), famously getting benched for Tua in the National Championship and transferring out.

Alex Van Pelt, Browns OC
View attachment 61962

Alex Van Pelt (AVP), 53, has had varied success in the league, mainly as a quarterbacks coach. He was poached off of the Bengals, where he coached Joe Burrow, by the Browns to be their OC. He could be interviewed despite being a current OC as he is not the primary playcaller in Cleveland, making this a promotion rather than a lateral move.

View attachment 61964

Remember when the Eagles had Foles/Sanchez light the league up for almost 5000 combined yards? He was the QB coach. Has had several stops at OC, none lasting more than 2 years, but you could probably do worse for a team that needs to hit the basics.

View attachment 61965

TBH, fire Waldron today and make him the interim. Experienced OC who, again, has gotten fired more than a couple of times, but who hasn't been solely bad.

View attachment 61966

Young coach who is rising fast. Former longtime NFL backup QB. Presiding over the emergence of CJ Stroud under young coordinator Bobby Slowik.

View attachment 61967

SHUT UP STOP YELLING!
Yes, total nepotism. But Arizona looks really, really good on offense - and he's coaching under Jedd Fisch. I literally wouldn't even be mad. How much more chemistry can you get than a literal father/son duo? As long as it isn't Nate. Nate's too goofy.

View attachment 61968

Dave is doing good with what he has, but Bowles could very well get canned at the end of the year and you never really know who the new guy will keep who on staff. Canales is a rising star and he's home-grown.

View attachment 61963

Lmao, I couldn't resist.
Literally laughed out loud at that last one. Thanks, I needed a laugh after watching McVay own us yet again.

toffee

Reaction score
It's not the result, it's the process used to achieve the result that makes me think Waldron's ass is probably grass after the season.

Only complication is Dickerson and him are a package deal.
Therefore, FIRE Waldron now is the best route. Hard to see Dickerson follow him and sit out 1/2 a season.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
View attachment 61961

Alex Van Pelt, Browns OC
View attachment 61962

View attachment 61964

View attachment 61965

View attachment 61966

View attachment 61967

SHUT UP STOP YELLING!

View attachment 61968

View attachment 61963

Lmao, I couldn't resist.

Umm, where's my picture and mention!?

Rat

Reaction score
Frank Reich was good at his last OC job. I'm pretty sure he'll be looking for work very soon.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think it's time we ask the man in charge some questions.

The offense across multiple different coordinators and QB's always devolve into the same damn thing. Let's take deep shots shots down the sideline and see what happens.

I think viewing Schottenheimer's offense is quite illuminating. It looks absolutely nothing like it did in Seattle, yet in Seattle his passing game looked like the same exact thing that we were running in the second half of the game today.