One thing I'd like to see next season

Hawks46

Reaction score
One of the biggest things I'd like to see next season is a change in situational coaching philosophy. I know it won't happen, but still.

We come out and it seems like we do the same thing, regardless of opponent and what their strengths and weaknesses are. I know I'm going to hear the "well, we've been to two Superbowls and we win a lot!", but I think we're starting to look at an NFC where we're going to be severely challenged to be the top dog for a long time. Arizona isn't going anywhere until Palmer either gets too old or retires, and the Panthers are a very good young team that has a QB that can now make his team better regardless of the personnel. Did anyone think that Carolina would be the top scoring team in the league with one of the worst WR corps in the league at the beginning of the year ? I sure didn't.

As examples, the Patriots are traditionally one of the best in the league at situational coaching. Belliichick's offensive philosophy is "whatever scores points". He's not married to running or passing, just whatever works. The Panthers are interesting, and it's been fascinating to watch Rivera's development as a head coach. They haven't had the best pass rush this year and coupled with a banged up and sadly lacking secondary, they looked ripe for Arizona's down field passing attack. But they came out and blitzed the hell out of Arizona, and once they started geting to Palmer, they crowded the line continually and then backed out into a base defense, leaning on their athletic Linebackers to get back to their zones in time.

In contrast, how many times have we seen Seattle bumble through an ineffective offensive and defense game plan for an entire first half, only to make good halftime adjustments and change the 2nd half ? We know we can make good halftime adjustments but it just seems like going into a game, and situationally, we do the same thing over and over and hope it works.

Seriousy, by the 3rd game most of us knew our secondary was poo. The mantra was "well, just wait until Chancellor gets backc and right" but we were unable to ever really cover a TE (no matter how poor he was) and at times struggled to get a pass rush. No matter how bad the secondary played, and no matter how poor the pass rush, it became a habit that we just wouldn't blitz the entire 1st half, then would come out blitzing in the 2nd half. This became a telling habit and teams picked up on it.

I guess this is just a long way of saying I'd like to see more dynamic changes in the game plan moving forward.

dogorama

Reaction score
Hawks46":2vb09da9 said:
One of the biggest things I'd like to see next season is a change in situational coaching philosophy. I know it won't happen, but still.

We come out and it seems like we do the same thing, regardless of opponent and what their strengths and weaknesses are. I know I'm going to hear the "well, we've been to two Superbowls and we win a lot!", but I think we're starting to look at an NFC where we're going to be severely challenged to be the top dog for a long time. Arizona isn't going anywhere until Palmer either gets too old or retires, and the Panthers are a very good young team that has a QB that can now make his team better regardless of the personnel. Did anyone think that Carolina would be the top scoring team in the league with one of the worst WR corps in the league at the beginning of the year ? I sure didn't.

As examples, the Patriots are traditionally one of the best in the league at situational coaching. Belliichick's offensive philosophy is "whatever scores points". He's not married to running or passing, just whatever works. The Panthers are interesting, and it's been fascinating to watch Rivera's development as a head coach. They haven't had the best pass rush this year and coupled with a banged up and sadly lacking secondary, they looked ripe for Arizona's down field passing attack. But they came out and blitzed the hell out of Arizona, and once they started geting to Palmer, they crowded the line continually and then backed out into a base defense, leaning on their athletic Linebackers to get back to their zones in time.

In contrast, how many times have we seen Seattle bumble through an ineffective offensive and defense game plan for an entire first half, only to make good halftime adjustments and change the 2nd half ? We know we can make good halftime adjustments but it just seems like going into a game, and situationally, we do the same thing over and over and hope it works.

Seriousy, by the 3rd game most of us knew our secondary was poo. The mantra was "well, just wait until Chancellor gets backc and right" but we were unable to ever really cover a TE (no matter how poor he was) and at times struggled to get a pass rush. No matter how bad the secondary played, and no matter how poor the pass rush, it became a habit that we just wouldn't blitz the entire 1st half, then would come out blitzing in the 2nd half. This became a telling habit and teams picked up on it.

I guess this is just a long way of saying I'd like to see more dynamic changes in the game plan moving forward.

You're absolutely spot on, as part of my research project for my masters I studied how organizations respond to change. We live in the technological/information age where information is gathered and decimated almost instantly. You can't just have a willingness or even ability to change but an actual plan for change. I get the whole play it close to the vest attitude that keeps you in games but that takes very a specific personnel group that we definitely didn't have this year. It wasn't until they finally turned RW loose that we finally had any success. To tell you the truth I would rather have RW audible out of almost every Bevell call. As for the defense we were also unwilling to come up with a change to deal with TE's except to go out and get one who isn't even a true TE, he's a tweener.

Anthony!

Reaction score
The reality is we have a QB that can score and win us games not matter who he has. However unlike Carolina we do not scheme around him enough, We did for most of the 2nd half except for the Rams game, and guess what that was the only game we lost. Then against Minny once again expect for a few drives we went away from what I call the "QB offensive Scheme", then again against Caroline we waited till the 2nd half to go to it. It is pretty simple. When we run it we score and move the ball easily, when we do not, we struggle. They need to run the darn QB offensive Scheme or spread from the begging and stop this stupid crap. You run what works.

Bwarren

Reaction score
I would like us to regain that killer instinct we have had. We should be crushing them with points offensively and lights out no score defense

dogorama

Reaction score
Anthony!":1k96he4l said:
The reality is we have a QB that can score and win us games not matter who he has. However unlike Carolina we do not scheme around him enough, We did for most of the 2nd half except for the Rams game, and guess what that was the only game we lost. Then against Minny once again expect for a few drives we went away from what I call the "QB offensive Scheme", then again against Caroline we waited till the 2nd half to go to it. It is pretty simple. When we run it we score and move the ball easily, when we do not, we struggle. They need to run the darn QB offensive Scheme or spread from the begging and stop this stupid crap. You run what works.

You did good job of pointing specifically where that failed us but there were other instances that defined the entire first half. In the last two years we could run on 1st and 2nd down because we would either get a 1st down or be close enough that the opposing defense had to play both pass or run. This keeps them off balance. This year before Rawls came on the scene we would be 3rd and 5 or 6 or more and that made it that much harder to convert which obviously stalled the drive. Nevertheless, Bevelll would continue to do that over and over. Then, when we would get a lead he would go into kill the clock mode way too early. That alone cost us two games for sure.

Anthony!

Reaction score
dogorama":1cpj1qc6 said:
Anthony!":1cpj1qc6 said:

You did good job of pointing specifically where that failed us but there were other instances that defined the entire first half. In the last two years we could run on 1st and 2nd down because we would either get a 1st down or be close enough that the opposing defense had to play both pass or run. This keeps them off balance. This year before Rawls came on the scene we would be 3rd and 5 or 6 or more and that made it that much harder to convert which obviously stalled the drive. Nevertheless, Bevelll would continue to do that over and over. Then, when we would get a lead he would go into kill the clock mode way too early. That alone cost us two games for sure.

That is the point though once we went spread, or QB offense we could run on 1st and 2nd down. We spread them out and made it harder for them to stop the run, if they loaded the box Wilson could change the play to pass and then burn them. IF they played the pass then we burn them with the run. The spread or Qb offense is what we should be running period from start to finish and staying aggressive

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've made two threads about this very topic since we lost to the Panthers.

IMO Pete needs to stop being so stubborn with his "we don't change what we're doing, we force other teams to change" philosophy.

That mental approach has led to many wins, but it's also led to quite a few needless losses because we didn't make adjustments fast enough.

Bottom line for me, the league learns and changes year to year with how they prepare for us..........so we in kind also need to evolve and change. Especially on the offensive side of the ball.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hawks46":1i7vc3hc said:

You're exactly right. But this is a Pete Carroll philisphophy. And that's not gonna change. Carroll will build his team with a different makeup than another coach. PC football will live and die with Cover-1 and Cover-3. The Seahawks don't have the personnel this year to run PC's defense to its potential. The front 4 was only able to pressure from the edge and whenever Michael Bennett played inside but Bennett cannot do it all himself.

This is why I never understood why the Seahawks decided to let some key players that plays inside leave. Clinton McDonald I thought was very underrated. Tony McDaniel was good depth. The Legion of Boom lost some good depth but overlooked was the defensive line as well. PC relied way too much on his "compete" philosophy and didn't have enough bodies to compensate and rotate.

Cover-1 and Cover-3 will work as long as the pocket collapses. But a PC defense does not blitz their linebackers. Linebackers in the Seahawks defense are either to spy a player/stop the run or crowd the middle for slants.

Cover-3 does not work if you cannot bring pressure.

Alexander

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1hyd4tti said:
Hawks46":1hyd4tti said:

You're exactly right. But this is a Pete Carroll philisphophy. And that's not gonna change. Carroll will build his team with a different makeup than another coach. PC football will live and die with Cover-1 and Cover-3. The Seahawks don't have the personnel this year to run PC's defense to its potential. The front 4 was only able to pressure from the edge and whenever Michael Bennett played inside but Bennett cannot do it all himself.

This is why I never understood why the Seahawks decided to let some key players that plays inside leave. Clinton McDonald I thought was very underrated. Tony McDaniel was good depth. The Legion of Boom lost some good depth but overlooked was the defensive line as well. PC relied way too much on his "compete" philosophy and didn't have enough bodies to compensate and rotate.

Cover-1 and Cover-3 will work as long as the pocket collapses. But a PC defense does not blitz their linebackers. Linebackers in the Seahawks defense are either to spy a player/stop the run or crowd the middle for slants.

Not that I disagree, but does any defensive scheme work without pressure?

Jordan Hill should have been a capable replacement for McDonald, but he got injured last season, and then regressed this season.

Davidess

Reaction score
One big difference I noticed between Cam and RW was the amount of time each one had. RW constantly pressured on his drop backs and while I do like his ability to maneuver and juke defenders sometimes it bites him hard with a long sack or a intentional grounding. with Cam im sure everyone noticed he had an abundance of times back there. only sack came off of I believe what could be considered a coverage sack or him just walking into Frank Clarks arms.

I honestly believe an improved Oline would help this team tremendously. I understand the bevel hate, but if it comes sporadically, then it shouldn't be enough to fire the guy. Hes steadily improved this offense over the course of the RW era.

if and a BIG if. if Bevel moves on or gets fired or whatever. Pete isn't going to go sign a well known name. most likely promote from within or if Cable is here he will take the job. Pete has a philosophy which dictates the play calling. Bevel is Petes puppet so if you're upset at Bevel you should really be upset with Pete.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Alexander":17fwmd7m said:
TheLegendOfBoom":17fwmd7m said:
Hawks46":17fwmd7m said:

Not that I disagree, but does any defensive scheme work without pressure?

Jordan Hill should have been a capable replacement for McDonald, but he got injured last season, and then regressed this season.

I thought this year what greatly influenced the team struggling defensively was a lack of bump and run. Bump and run, press man, allows for no spacing and easy completions. Often this year Kris Richard put the defense in soft zones, where the corner was playing "off technique" by as much as 7 yards.

Go back and watch film, every time they played off coverage and our front 4 did not pressure the QB, the QB threw it to his receiver for completions. Playing Cover-3 and giving space to receivers, the QB completed a bunch of passes and moved the chains rather effectively.

Playing off coverage, signaling you're in Cover-3, simple routes, receiver runs 7 yards, turns and the ball is in his hands. The Seahawks are not a team to disguise their coverages but they should make it more difficult to complete passes.

At times, it was just way too easy for the opposing offense. That really hurt the defense this year.