Owner wealth and equal competition

Beren

Reaction score
What is the impact and correlation between owner wealth and competitive opportunity in the modern day NFL for different franchises?

I have heard that owner wealth has rendered salary caps somewhat obsolete in ensuring the league has equal competition for all teams. For example, the Rams should have been underwater following gambles on big contracts for the likes of Goff and Gurley not so long ago, but they have been able to continually throw money at other players in a way that teams with less wealthy owners cannot.

I understand it to a sense but would appreciate an explanation from someone more knowledgeable on the subject of how this is possible and how they (and others?) get around/exploit the salary cap provisions in a way others cannot/do not.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I posted this in the Rams thread, but it is a good read to this point.

Broncos now have the richest owner. Look for them to do exactly what the Rams are doing now.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I recently watched a video that explained it very well.

In summary, they refer to it as "cash over cap space" (or something similar). Cash-rich owners are able to fork over very expensive guaranteed signing bonuses, which can then be prorated over the next five years of the contract extension (and even into "voided" years). The net result is a recently extended player has a very low cap hit for the first, and possibly second year of his extension. Their average salary/year is very high, but the cap hit in the near term is considerably less than their average salary.

The video also mentioned that during the last CBA negotiations, most of the teams wanted to incorporate a cash-over cap space limit but certain owners like Jerry Jones and Kroenke would hear nothing of it.

The ultra-rich owners with bulging pockets of cash have a distinct advantage over the other owners.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Sports-team owners have pulled two closely related scams on the public.

One is publicly treating player salaries as if they were an expense and not an investment.

The other is pretending that salary caps are about keeping competition between teams fair, when their real purpose is to keep more of the money for owners and have less of it paid to players.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
I posted this in the Rams thread, but it is a good read to this point.

Broncos now have the richest owner. Look for them to do exactly what the Rams are doing now.

Thank you for the article. As someone interested in finance, I like hearing about the numbers etc.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Sports-team owners have pulled two closely related scams on the public.

One is publicly treating player salaries as if they were an expense and not an investment.

The other is pretending that salary caps are about keeping competition between teams fair, when their real purpose is to keep more of the money for owners and have less of it paid to players.

I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but it's one of the clearest explanations about NFL caps and how they function with the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Written for SI by a Packers salary cap manager holding that position for a decade..

It aligns with your comment about the owners keeping more money for themselves because players are paid at 47% currently when it was previously at 50%. It's only expected to increase to 48% in the next TEN years.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Jed York's net worth is like 90 million dollars. There's players in the league that have more money than the 49er's owner. It's less about wealth and more about team management

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Jed York's net worth is like 90 million dollars. There's players in the league that have more money than the 49er's owner. It's less about wealth and more about team management

An NFL team is worth billions of dollars. Jed York, the CEO of the 49ers, can have less than $100M in assets because the team isn't among them. He's not the owner. It's his mother who owns most of the team.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Mike Brown is the league's poorest owner and his team was a couple of plays away from hoisting the Lombardi. GTFO

RedAlice

Reaction score
Ive been obsessed with reading the Bengals forum that is pretty much exactly like this Hawks forum.

eta: ok, their OT is better. They are not delusional liberals.

Latest posts