Offensive approach changes and all new defensive coaches

mistaowen

Reaction score
It’s clear when the offense goes from “Pete ball” to Russell’s game, often times after spotting the other teams 14 point half time leads. Russell gets a tempo going, the ball goes out quick, and he’s tiring out the D moving all over the field. If we go into another year of force the run, hope it works, and trust Russell to win games on his own, it will be another year wasted of his talents. He matches stats with all the superstars with considerably less volume of passes. Every week, offense looks slow, predictable, and easily covered for 2/3 of the game and then suddenly there’s a moment where Russell gets the keys and they take the lead. Why not start out that way? I really, genuinely hope they can look at these last few weeks where the offense looks like GARBAGE trying to force this dated approach until they open Russell up.

On the flip side of the ball - Norton has no business coming back next year. 26th overall, 2nd most yards given up in the franchises history, completely unable to get off the field on 3rd and long in the playoffs. This unit looked confused, slow, out of place, and generates absolutely no pressure outside of 1 man. He needs to go, I think other staff as well, and bring in guys who can bring something to the team, not just be an extension of Pete but worse. Why in gods name did he have Lano Hill out there! One of the dumbest personnel decisions I’ve ever seen. I hope they can find a college guy like Quinn who comes in hungry, because there really weren’t many worse defenses in the NFL this year. Which is insane given the roster is actually fairly decent I think.

LCB also needs some serious competition this year. Tre Flowers regressed and got progressively worse over the season. Tonight must have been 150 yards and 2 TDs on him. Also Lano Hill shouldn’t be in the NFL and the fact he plays over Blair is insanely stupid. KJ Wright May have played his last snap as a Seahawk, great career but man is he two steps slower now.

knownone

Reaction score
I'm with you on firing Norton. I like him as a guy, but this defense should not be as bad as they are with the guys they have. Considering that we are in a division with 3 offensive coaches who run schemes that are basically designed to exploit our defense; big changes need to come. Either we become a more aggressive offense, or Pete completely rethinks how he runs his defense.

I'd like to see them bring back Clowney, and bring in another young, proven DE. And if Flowers or Blair is not the answer, bring in someone to solidify the secondary.

Agreed on Wright. They just don't have the cap space to justify having him at his current number when he's probably best suited as a role player.

seabowl

Reaction score
What Pete does not do well is adjust to the talent or lack thereof he has. Once you are down to your 4th rb, and one off the street, you need to adjust your gameplan. He did not do that, forcing Lynch into a pile of bodies only to get crushed. At the goal line, sure, but not as your main gameplan. Hence for the first half of the game it was blah only to have Russ try and save the day as he always does.

To be honest it's so disappointing knowing how good your O can be but the HC won't change.

How many years did it take to get rid of Bevell and Cable? Enough said.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
knownone":1ld1xhyk said:
I'm with you on firing Norton. I like him as a guy, but this defense should not be as bad as they are with the guys they have. Considering that we are in a division with 3 offensive coaches who run schemes that are basically designed to exploit our defense; big changes need to come. Either we become a more aggressive offense, or Pete completely rethinks how he runs his defense.

I'd like to see them bring back Clowney, and bring in another young, proven DE. And if Flowers or Blair is not the answer, bring in someone to solidify the secondary.

Agreed on Wright. They just don't have the cap space to justify having him at his current number when he's probably best suited as a role player.

They have to bring back Clowney, he accounts for like 80% of our pressures. Him and Wagner were the only guys really showing out tonight, need him as a cornerstone of this unit for many years.

Norton was run out of Oakland and lucked into this DC job being with Pete for so many years. He seems to be well liked in the locker room and is a good LB coach, but this year was historically bad. They cannot just move past it and say we will clean it up - Rams, 49ers, and Cardinals all know how to beat this defense, with relative ease. The defense looked lost for most of the year and ultimately that comes down to coaching. Bradley was decent, Quinn took this group to the next level, KR was the start downwards and here we are as a bottom 5 defense in the NFL.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Need to bring in some proven players on defense.

When Diggs came the defense had a chance.

I just hope we don’t draft another McDowell and Collier.

Yes, Collier been injured, let’s just say he needs to make a complete 180.

Complete waste.