PC: "we throw the ball really to kind of waste that play."

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
We sent in our personnel, they sent in goalline, it's not the right matchup for us to run the football, so on second down we throw the ball really to kind of waste that play. If we score we do, if we don't, then we'll run it in on third and fourth down.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/2/2/7962 ... nce-quotes

I saw this quote for the first time this morning and I want to throw up. 2nd a goal on the 1 yard line with less than a minute left and you are calling THAT PARTICULAR PASS PLAY to waste a play?! Really Pete?

The strategy behind throwing there to ensure you get 3 plays in makes sense, I think we all get it. But good lord:

1. Why the hell are you wasting a play in that situation?
2. If you want to throw there, and if you are perfectly fine with it not resulting in a TD, why call such a risky play, rifling a pass into the heart of the defense to your 4th string WR? Why not call a rollout where Wilson can look for a TE or WR at the back of the endzone, and throw it away if no one is open, or possibly just run it in himself?
3. Seriously, why are you wasting a play there Pete?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
ya saw that last night...how do you waste a play?? something about killing clock as well...the explanation made no sense to anyone.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Run the ball to waste a play.

If you were afraid to run against their goalline personnel...then run to waste a play.

I am sick of these idiotic explanations from the Seahawks.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I honestly think they were a bit confused on how the Pats didn't call a time out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkFan72":ql0f9vtu said:
Run the ball to waste a play.

If you were afraid to run against their goalline personnel...then run to waste a play.

I am sick of these idiotic explanations from the Seahawks.

That's because there is no satisfactory answer, because the correct answer from Pete would be "we royally F'd up, it was a terrible play call, and we should have handed the ball to Marshawn."

But he's protecting his OC, so this is the nonsense he came up with.

Reaction score
i like pete and everything but he is reaching man. Im seeing right thru it I would rather have him say it was a bad call.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Always go for the win, never waste plays.

I thought thats what Pete stood for?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's exactly what he meant, though I know that's what he said. There is logic to calling a pass there.

If you call a run on 2nd and get stuffed (call last TO), then the defense knows you have to pass on 3rd down to get two shots at the EZ. The Pass-Run-Run sequence is, in theory, the best way to keep the defense guessing while also running the entire clock in case it gets to fourth down.

That being said, I probably go play-action to a back-corner fade on second down, not inside pick-slant. I doubt Pete called the specific play. He just signed off on a "pass." Not justifying the play-call itself, which I didn't like. But I get what Carroll is trying to say about the logic of the whole thing.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The worst thing about this is Belichick was ready to start burning his timeouts if they stopped Lynch.

The Patriots were begging for us to run the ball and score there.. instead we did something even better on their behalf.

hangumhi

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3qfnu8h4 said:
We sent in our personnel, they sent in goalline, it's not the right matchup for us to run the football, so on second down we throw the ball really to kind of waste that play. If we score we do, if we don't, then we'll run it in on third and fourth down.

I saw this quote for the first time this morning and I want to throw up. 2nd a goal on the 1 yard line with less than a minute left and you are calling THAT PARTICULAR PASS PLAY to waste a play?! Really Pete?

The strategy behind throwing there to ensure you get 3 plays in makes sense, I think we all get it. But good lord:

2. If you want to throw there, and if you are perfectly fine with it not resulting in a TD, why call such a risky play, rifling a pass into the heart of the defense to your 4th string WR? Why not call a rollout where Wilson can look for a TE or WR at the back of the endzone, and throw it away if no one is open, or possibly just run it in himself?

Eric Allen just echoed what I posted on a moved thread. You don't throw in that situation and if you do throw you don't throw to the middle of the pack. If Pete wanted to throw then he should certainly know better than to not run play action or a boot or ANYTHING other than a stupid shotgun slant in the heart of a goal line defense where the likelihood of a deflected and or intercepted ball is extremely high. How many times have you seen a quick slant rocket off of a receivers chest or get deflected by a DB because everything is tight? It happens all the time. Call a play action at the very least if you MUST throw. Tight bunch formation and leak out the tight end opposite the bunch and more than likely he'd be wide open; especially with the fact that we hadn't targeted a tight end the entire game. This game will FOREVER haunt me.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I don't really think there is a "good explanation" in his situation. He could throw Bevell under the bus. Would not be taken well. He could say it was a terrible play call and a mistake. People would still be mad. He could say a unicorn came down from the heavens and whispered the play call in his here. People would still be irate. Etc. Etc. Etc. It was a mistake, move on. Live to fight for another Super Bowl.

hangumhi

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3qs28y8o said:

Ya I agree I didn't like his choice of words. I agree with his logic of trying to preserve opportunities but everyone on earth knows they should have just run the ball. They over-thought the situation instead of just getting the TD. They under-thought the play call and instead threw a slant into the middle of a goal line defense. There are still people on this forum defending Bevell...unreal.

hangumhi

Reaction score
hangumhi":18c0hhdq said:
Missing_Clink":18c0hhdq said:

Ya I agree I didn't like his choice of words. I agree with his logic of trying to preserve opportunities but everyone on earth knows they should have just run the ball. They over-thought the situation instead of just getting the TD. They under-thought the play call and instead threw a slant into the middle of a goal line defense. There are still people on this forum defending Bevell...unreal.

And another thought for the dorks still supporting Bevell, you all keep saying, "who else besides Bevell?" How about ANY of the people on this forum who know football enough to know that he stinks. We see his repeated failures as a play caller so if knuckleheads like us can see it week in and week out then how good do you think he is if he can't figure out and change his repeated behaviors of terrible play calling in situations where simple adjustments make all the difference in the world?

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Y'all better hurry and beat the rush to drop off your resumes at Vulcan. No way Paul keeps PC around.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
He was rattled. He more likely meant that they didn't have to have it. A throwaway (wasted play) doesn’t hurt them because they have 2 more downs. That's what I think he tried, and failed, to communicate.