Per ESPN Hawks Not Likely To Break The Bank For Clowney

AgentDib

Reaction score
Consider the following chart, upper right corner is better. Clowney is right in the mix at the top despite playing through injury last season.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1211714415357300737[/tweet]

Now consider that Clowney is one of the best run defenders in the NFL whereas some of those other pass rushers are a liability.

Largent80

Reaction score
So, we have a lot of cap. But not really when your needs require you to use almost all of it, and there are zero guarantees when you spend the money.

It's not like buying a new car. The car is new, and will likely go a long time before needing upgrades/repairs. The player is
a risk/reward. Injuries, chemistry, so much involved.

The salary cap sucks, and it is the root cause of teams going decades without rings. Speaking of rings, Clark got one after being traded and that was my point. He most certainly probably wouldn't have gotten one here unless we had both Clowney and him.

In the end, a GM is like the amazing Kreskin these days, they work miracles or are the masters of disaster.

This year the Hawks have money and picks. BUT the draft isn't addressing needs. CB maybe, WR most definitely, and a GREAT OL draft....They need to tap into that for the future because we have an aging Brown, Fant/Ifedi FA. Fluker 1 year signed, Iupati an injury machine, Britt/Hunt....injury comeback and woefully undersized, Pocic?...what even is he?

We need to draft a center and a guard for sure. And there are a bunch of good ones.

We even need RB. Carson/Penny both coming off bad injuries. Prosise, get the F outta here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":2lvmrn3z said:
The salary cap sucks, and it is the root cause of teams going decades without rings. Speaking of rings, Clark got one after being traded and that was my point. He most certainly probably wouldn't have gotten one here unless we had both Clowney and him..

For sure.

The difference was KC was 1-2 players away on the defensive side of the ball to get that ring, and we were not last year. We had, and STILL have holes to fill. So it made sense for them to give up picks to get them over the hump.

Hard to justify giving a guy 22-23M a year when you have so many other needs to address.

Let's see how well KC can sustain their success when they have to give Mahomes 40M+ next year. They'll be in the same situation as we are.

Seymour

Reaction score
Myth....."we have a lot of cap"

Truth.... We have less signed players than any NFL team currently.

Kinger95

Reaction score
Clark was handled great in my opinion, we got a 1st and 2nd for the guy.

Houston lost the number 1 overall pick for a 3rd and filler. Dee Ford didn’t net what Clark did and they’re extremely comparable. Worst case scenario we got 1 free season of clowney because we’re gonna get a 3rd round comp pick back if he walks. The problems this team have actually have nothing to do with reed or any of our free agents or these guys. We’re thin because we have gotten ZERO return on two 1st rounders in McDowell and collier. Other teams are getting starter production from the same selections and it’s hard enough to fill out rosters with talent when you have 2 guys you were counting on give you nothing. We need some youth to step up like Blair, Barton, Ursua and especially collier if we want don’t want to bottom out because wags and Russ and others aren’t always gonna be elite and available

Largent80

Reaction score
Seymour":216wsmhg said:
Myth....."we have a lot of cap"

Truth.... We have less signed players than any NFL team currently.

And this is why our draft picks are important, and also we have expendable players on the roster. I'm not sure what team would want 2 safeties that have sucked, but all I know is I would prefer to never see either Hill nor Thompson in the Seattle backfield.

KJ...why should he take a pay cut...He should not and he may be cut because of our line deficiencies...He played well last year and is integral, however, this is a young mans game....Same with Britt...A top heavy draft for good centers and we have the ammo...Get one I say, deal with Britts contract and go from there. Hunt is clearly an emergency backup.

RB...Dang, we need one big time. McFarland is the prize.

A TON of good WR's in this draft that could be impact players in year one.

We need DL and TE and those positions SUCK in this draft so money is a big deal for the Hawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":1iljai9h said:
KJ...why should he take a pay cut...He should not and he may be cut because of our line deficiencies...He played well last year and is integral, however, this is a young mans game....Same with Britt...A top heavy draft for good centers and we have the ammo...Get one I say, deal with Britts contract and go from there. Hunt is clearly an emergency backup..

It's not a paycut, you can dangle out to both Britt and KJ two year deals with a little more guaranteed money if they re-structure this year to save some cap.

i.e. KJ's set to make 10M this year, but with 4M of it in roster bonuses and performance clauses. Tell him we'll make it all guaranteed if he signs a two year deal so we can move 5M of his guaranteed amount to next year.

Do the same with Britt, those two players alone by re-structuring could save 10M in cap for 2020. That's 50% of the salary of a top tier DE free agent.

Largent80

Reaction score
It's easy to say that. Then you have the player looking at that. If I were KJ, I would say suck it. I've been healthy for the most part and been a major part of the d since the LOB days.

Britt has already posted pics of him working out and looks good, he's an established center in the leagus=e and relatively healthy. Why should he take a gigantic pay cut?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":24qoquve said:
It's easy to say that. Then you have the player looking at that. If I were KJ, I would say suck it. I've been healthy for the most part and been a major part of the d since the LOB days.

Britt has already posted pics of him working out and looks good, he's an established center in the leagus=e and relatively healthy. Why should he take a gigantic pay cut?

I just said it's not a paycut, it's giving more guaranteed money but over a two year period.

Yes they could both say suck it, but then they're both playing on one year deals with the chance of getting hurt and not getting any more guaranteed money after this year.

Re-structuring happens all the time, and this is a way to make them both happy AND giving the team some cap relief.

I can almost guarantee if we sign Clowney or make a big signing/trade in free agency, either or both of these players are going to be approached to restructure.........or they risk getting cut.

KJ played well, but he's not guaranteed to make 10M in 2020 if we cut him and he goes elsewhere. Makes sense for him too.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have dollars available, we have like the most players in the league to sign to fill the roster, the NEED players are all high dollar positions for the most part.

So Cap Space is misleading on paper.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
SeaWolv":xfwxgzfl said:
Recon_Hawk":xfwxgzfl said:
While Clowney is loaded with talent, he never looked like a great fit on this defense. At least not worth top dollar in the open market.

One of the things Pete mentioned in his end of season press conference is the team needing to be faster on the edges. Clowney, while fast for his size, is not a quick twitch player. He's more or less a blend of strength and speed and while that can work for some teams, the Seahawks have a defined role for their DEs. They played him at his best at the Leo spot, but that meant they had two DE's that are more power than speed, resulting in them getting beat to $h!t on fly sweep plays.

I am not enjoying the idea of going into the offseason with a huge hole at leo DE by not re-signing Clowney, but I think it's the correct, long-term move.

Clark was more productive in the Hawks defense in 2018 but he also had the benefit of a Reed who was tearing it up at the 3-tech. If Ansah had panned out even a little and Reed had continued where he left off what would Clowney have looked like then? Instead he had to contend regularly with double teams since no one else on the line was a threat.

Edge is a key position and in order for the Hawks to make a legit SB run they're going to need at least one top talent in each position group. So if not Clowney then who? Ngakoue? Same issue as Clowney. Draft? Unreliable. I say you pay Clowney who asked to be here and didn't have a great season since you might get him at a slight discount (sportrac=$20mil) instead of top dollar to someone like Ngakoue who might want $21mil or more.

It will be hard to replace Clowney. It might take two early draft picks and mid value FA signing to fill his role, but it would also save you 15m.

Clowney is an amazing player and easy to root for. I wouldn't be mad if they signed him. I just think he's priced outside the Hawks front office market and that Pete can get better value at the edge positions with a couple other other players. I know easier said then done, I dont have any names to suggest, but Pete's has generate some pretty great DEs from not a lot of invested value. We'll see.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cyrus12":ecoykpme said:
Giants reportedly interested in Clowney.

Clowney supposedly interested in the Giants actually, why I don't know.

xray

Reaction score
chris98251":2vk4ydsx said:
Cyrus12":2vk4ydsx said:
Giants reportedly interested in Clowney.

Clowney supposedly interested in the Giants actually, why I don't know.

Remember when he said that it wasn't about the money ; but going with a contender ? LOL It's all about the money .

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":c3lmdre3 said:
That's not news really, it's almost always about the $, regardless what they say.

Exactly . Even when they say they love where they're at ; they have their fingers crossed and their bags packed as they are saying it . There is no love nor loyalty in pro sports these days .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":11ad1qjg said:
That's not news really, it's almost always about the $, regardless what they say.

I do believe Clowney when he said last year that he wants to win and he's not going to go to a loser to flounder for the next 4-5 years.

BUT, if the contending teams like the Hawks are only offering him around 18-20M, and a couple bottom feeders like the Skins or Dolphins are willing to break the bank and make him the highest paid DE at 25M per year?

Dude isn't passing up an extra 20-25M. He's just not.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Seymour":11aq9qzz said:
Everyone freaked we let Clark go, then we get Clowney for $7M. Something will pan out somewhere IMO.

This years free agency pool is not as good as years past so there may not be many alternative options. Even if we do get lucky for a second year in a row and find a suitable replacement we'll most likely be right back here again next year.

I don't care if Clowney doesn't go hard everyday at practice I care if he goes hard in games.

The guy wanted to be here and didn't have a great year so he can probably be had for something a little less than top dollar for a position of need.

I say pay the man.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1h1lzfkh said:
It will be hard to replace Clowney. It might take two early draft picks and mid value FA signing to fill his role, but it would also save you 15m.

Unfortunately, because of the idiots in Dallas, $20mil is the going rate for a proven DE. We don't have a lot of prime RW years left, can the Hawks afford to waste a few years figuring out their pass rush?