Pete appreciation thread.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
This has a little overlap with the 'culture' thread, but it's a bit more than that.

I consumed 3 specific pieces of media unexpectedly about Pete yesterday, in the following order, and it just make me appreciate him about 5 X more than I have been. I forgot just HOW DIFFERENT he is over time than any other coach in any other sport that I've ever seen.

I'll keep it short - but I gotta say after reading/watching his stuff yesterday - particularly his own presser, talking about Frank Clark, and then the reporters getting him on a bit of philosophy - was just neat. Really highlights the 'coming back' type culture, and re-clarifies and completely highlights his "once we've gone to battle together, there's a special bond between PC and the players".

The first was the "Pete Carroll is just in a land of his own" article on The Athletic that was posted in the other thread. It's behind a paywall.

If you can't get at the paid content - I've PDF'd it and uploaded it to a sharing site:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/dd0ae3da31662255b2c071b18d527d5020231028173306/cebf192f37c74942576fe859b539e06320231028173335/6c6f6e

The second video was a Mic'd up - featuring Pete. If I've seen Pete in a Mic'd up segment before, I forget when. It's awesome. Basically Pete jumping around and being crazy for the whole video. Thing that jumped out at me was that like 3 people seem responsible for holding him back behind the line for the entire game ;) It was last week's game against the Cards.

The final video was Pete's presser from yesterday. Talks about Frank Clark coming back and the return culture that he's created. I gotta say - LOVE Pete or HATE Pete - he has a vision for 'how' he wants to run a team, and aside from a couple dark years in the ME3 era - has completely stuck to that.

3:55 is where the Frank stuff starts. I like the mark at 6:40 also. I just like the whole interchange.

Anyhow. Getting a bit long - but it's definately made me thankful for the time that we have had, and the time that we have left with Pete as HC.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score

If you want even more reasons to love and respect Pete watch this 60 Minutes profile from his USC days.

Fade

Reaction score
This has a little overlap with the 'culture' thread, but it's a bit more than that.

I consumed 3 specific pieces of media unexpectedly about Pete yesterday, in the following order, and it just make me appreciate him about 5 X more than I have been. I forgot just HOW DIFFERENT he is over time than any other coach in any other sport that I've ever seen.

I'll keep it short - but I gotta say after reading/watching his stuff yesterday - particularly his own presser, talking about Frank Clark, and then the reporters getting him on a bit of philosophy - was just neat. Really highlights the 'coming back' type culture, and re-clarifies and completely highlights his "once we've gone to battle together, there's a special bond between PC and the players".

The first was the "Pete Carroll is just in a land of his own" article on The Athletic that was posted in the other thread. It's behind a paywall.

If you can't get at the paid content - I've PDF'd it and uploaded it to a sharing site:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/dd0ae3da31662255b2c071b18d527d5020231028173306/cebf192f37c74942576fe859b539e06320231028173335/6c6f6e

The second video was a Mic'd up - featuring Pete. If I've seen Pete in a Mic'd up segment before, I forget when. It's awesome. Basically Pete jumping around and being crazy for the whole video. Thing that jumped out at me was that like 3 people seem responsible for holding him back behind the line for the entire game ;) It was last week's game against the Cards.

The final video was Pete's presser from yesterday. Talks about Frank Clark coming back and the return culture that he's created. I gotta say - LOVE Pete or HATE Pete - he has a vision for 'how' he wants to run a team, and aside from a couple dark years in the ME3 era - has completely stuck to that.

3:55 is where the Frank stuff starts. I like the mark at 6:40 also. I just like the whole interchange.

Anyhow. Getting a bit long - but it's definately made me thankful for the time that we have had, and the time that we have left with Pete as HC.

Bahahahahahahshahaah.

Pete is the most overrated coach in Seattle sports history.

He had a dynasty in the palm of his hand and chose to flush it.

The players later calling the situation, the titanic.

2 more failed rebuilds later, and here we are.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Dennis Erickson could've won a Superbowl with that roster. Maybe 2.

Unless he was too drunk . Even then he would've gave it to Beastmode at the goal line.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Can't even appreciate the culture the guy has built without getting pissy about it now. So sad it's come to this.

Few should dispute that Pete is a fantastic culture builder. His guys love him. Players who leave end up residing in Seattle anyway and stay affiliated with the org. Obviously, there have been increasingly large shortcomings over time, but this is something that no one should be able to take away from Pete without it being labeled as sour grapes.

If we can't acknowledge the obvious good, then our opinions on the bad aren't worth a damn, because we cease to be objective at that very moment. Point blank.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Can't even appreciate the culture the guy has built without getting pissy about it now. So sad it's come to this.

Few should dispute that Pete is a fantastic culture builder. His guys love him. Players who leave end up residing in Seattle anyway and stay affiliated with the org. Obviously, there have been increasingly large shortcomings over time, but this is something that no one should be able to take away from Pete without it being labeled as sour grapes.

If we can't acknowledge the obvious good, then our opinions on the bad aren't worth a damn, because we cease to be objective at that very moment. Point blank.
I don’t think you’re wrong but I think we as Seahawks fans have probably overrated this element a little bit. There are many coaches around the league who are very highly respected by current players, former players etc as well. I’ve been guilty of it and I think many in Seattle have too of thinking Pete is the only one. Again not saying you’re wrong but I my point is I don’t think Pete is the unicorn we think he is in building a good culture.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He had a great culture a decade ago and lost it.
The culture is fine. Players play hard, and the locker room generally remains harmonious. The organization is stable.

Stable does not mean "contending for championships," but it is a sign of competent leadership. That's all culture. The type of culture where guys like Geno Smith can reinvent themselves. Even in the face of defeat, there is genuine belief on that roster.

I'm not saying that we're on the right track. We almost indisputably are not on the right track. But I can't find a way to really neg Pete on culture-building. He's one of the best to ever do that.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don’t think you’re wrong but I think we as Seahawks fans have probably overrated this element a little bit. There are many coaches around the league who are very highly respected by current players, former players etc as well. I’ve been guilty of it and I think many in Seattle have too of thinking Pete is the only one. Again not saying you’re wrong but I my point is I don’t think Pete is the unicorn we think he is in building a good culture.
I'm not saying he's the only great one out there, but I think he is a bit of a unicorn in that regard. Doing it at both the college level and the pro level in a way that few others have been able to at either level is extremely rarified air.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This defense has about 5 playmakers and then total JAGs from front to back. Their drafting has found its footing again, but their free agency philosophy has got to be examined.

cymatica

Reaction score
The culture is fine. Players play hard, and the locker room generally remains harmonious. The organization is stable.

Stable does not mean "contending for championships," but it is a sign of competent leadership. That's all culture. The type of culture where guys like Geno Smith can reinvent themselves. Even in the face of defeat, there is genuine belief on that roster.

I'm not saying that we're on the right track. We almost indisputably are not on the right track. But I can't find a way to really neg Pete on culture-building. He's one of the best to ever do that.
If your idea of a good culture is a mediocre team that is horrible in the playoffs, then I don't know what to tell you other than your bar must be set pretty low

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's the only great one out there, but I think he is a bit of a unicorn in that regard. Doing it at both the college level and the pro level in a way that few others have been able to at either level is extremely rarified air.
he was hated at USC for how he left that program. Dallas, KC, San Fran, Pitts all are know for having a family type feel where players stick around and a culture that encourages it.

I’d also how good is the current culture if Pete says he talked to Jamal and said we can’t have that only for Jamal to be interviewed next and essentially say yeah I’m glad I did and when they go low I go lower? It rendered Pete powerless.

Again I’m not saying Pete doesn’t deserve credit for building a great culture I’ll just agree to disagree that he’s the only one or that it’s ultra rare. I think we have at least slightly overrated it and/or with all the other issues it overpowers the good.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If your idea of a good culture is a mediocre team that is horrible in the playoffs, then I don't know what to tell you other than your bar must be set pretty low
Dude, come on. That's not even close to what I said. I actively acknowledged that I'm partially separating culture from results, because it mostly is. They remain a high-floor team regardless because of the culture. They don't fall apart in the face of disappointment because of the culture.

I'm really tired of words being put in my mouth. You're reducing my point to a point I'm not even making, and that's not fair. I'm not doing that to you or anyone else in this thread.