Pete Ball is NOT the Problem

Nunya_

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3763dua3 said:
xray":3763dua3 said:
The problem that I see is a HC that now seems to be satisfied with just a winning season and possibly a wild card berth .

Most of the fans around here feel that way it seems.

I would guess that most fans don't have an ALL OR NOTHING attitude. I see winning the SB kind of like winning the lottery. Sure, winning millions in a jackpot would be great, but I would be completely happy with hitting 5/6 numbers for $100,000. As far as quality goes, I certainly feel we receive quite a bit of entertainment this season. There were many great and fun games....many of them nail-biters.

What I do know is PC/JS got us to the SB twice. Having 11-5 seasons and making it to the second round of the playoff provides us some level of confidence that we can win the SB in the future......a lot more confidence than we would have with a complete new coaching staff. There are no guarantees. A new coach or GM could very easily take us back to the 8-8 type seasons.

While winning the SB is a great feeling, it is not life changing. I just do not think that most fans share your "All-In" emotional investment.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2sy074n3 said:
Ummm...hahahaha.....Damn, newbies gonna newb. 60 posts of critical Seahawk problems..... An obvious expert in football and especially Seahawks football. His expertise is clearly available here.

Yeah......Go...Hahahahha

L 80, this above is an unfriendly post. Your opinion is your opinion, he's entitled to have and express his here. Certainly you can disagree and can say why, but cease the against the person hacks at another poster because he hasn't got a lot of posts here.

Differences in views is part of healthy discussion.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Peteball is the problem. I don't necessarily disagree with the premise of ball control and limiting turnovers. Pete's number one goal is to play the toxic differential game. Unfortunately this style of offense is only played to its full potential when the team has a strong defense. On a team like the Seahawks in 2019 it puts the team in a huge deficit until the gears are switched.

Another thing that must be mentioned is even with Pete's style of offense we're not playing to our full potential. Our system lacks nuance and many times situational awareness. I don't like the "we'll come at you with the same thing and we'll win if our players are better" mentality. The long deep crossing routes are also very problematic. They need to be toned back, and we need to lean more on the short passing game when the run offense has a hard time getting going. We're not doing our QB any favors in this regard.

olyfan63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":vx23fjta said:
xray":vx23fjta said:
The problem that I see is a HC that now seems to be satisfied with just a winning season and possibly a wild card berth .

Pete Coaching is the reason we win 10+ games and go to the playoffs. Pete Ball, well, it does have issues, but ultimately the issue was our defense more than our offense. Somehow Pete Ball had us in position to play for the Division Title in Week 17. And had us one dropped pass and one blitz pickup away from the NFC Championship Game.

Pete and John have bet it all on the next two years. This year was an overachievement. Pete has a 4-year college program approach. We'll have a bunch of players play a little better, add a few key free agents, and draft a couple rooks who will have a positive impact. With a little better luck on injuries next year, look out! As long as Russell continues to play the way he did most of this year, as long as we can keep at least one of our top RBs healthy for the playoffs...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":32rps731 said:
xray":32rps731 said:

Both sentiments are utterly ridiculous.

There's no way Pete is content with just getting wild card berths, no coach that's won as much as Pete is wired that way, or just decides one day to mail it in.

Also most intelligent Hawk fans, especially the ones that have been fans for a very long time know that this era of Hawk football is the salad days for us, so we have a little perspective on not only what this organization has been through, but how hard it is to win SB's.

Literally ONE team in NFL history has more than a 4-5 year period of sustained success and more than one or two SB's, and that's the Patriots..........and that will probably NEVER be duplicated.

So what are we satisfied with? I'll tell you, we're satisfied with a coach, GM and MVP caliber QB that has for a 10 year period now put us in a position to make the playoffs and go to a SB. Two of those years we got there..........31 other organizations would take this kind of success.

Perspective, what it be.

Tical21

Reaction score
4th youngest roster in the league, second year of a rebuild, 11-5 and won a playoff game. But the coach is the problem. This is why we can never have nice things. I'm not ready to be bad again yet.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
HawkerD":266b9g8v said:
ivotuk":266b9g8v said:
One of the reasons Pete Ball works, is because running the ball keeps it away from the opposing offense, it's favorable for time of possession, keeps your defense rested, thus keeping the per game score down, which in turn brings the ranking of your defense up!

And, it wears out opposing defenses. Look at what Tennessee is doing. Don't be surprised if they beat the "high powered Chiefs" this weekend. There's a reason why Andy Reid has so many regular season wins, but so few post season wins.

Three and out does not keep the ball away from the opponent. Derrick Henry was running through holes the likes that have never been seen under Carrol. Our backs have so much YAC because they are hit at the LOS if not in the backfield.
Statistically speaking, NFL wide, for max point production you should throw the 70% of the time for the best W/L outcome. With a QB as talented as RW make that 75% of the time.
Except passing teams don't make the playoffs, and running teams do.

John63

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3nqq2sso said:
HawkerD":3nqq2sso said:
ivotuk":3nqq2sso said:
One of the reasons Pete Ball works, is because running the ball keeps it away from the opposing offense, it's favorable for time of possession, keeps your defense rested, thus keeping the per game score down, which in turn brings the ranking of your defense up!

And, it wears out opposing defenses. Look at what Tennessee is doing. Don't be surprised if they beat the "high powered Chiefs" this weekend. There's a reason why Andy Reid has so many regular season wins, but so few post season wins.

Three and out does not keep the ball away from the opponent. Derrick Henry was running through holes the likes that have never been seen under Carrol. Our backs have so much YAC because they are hit at the LOS if not in the backfield.
Statistically speaking, NFL wide, for max point production you should throw the 70% of the time for the best W/L outcome. With a QB as talented as RW make that 75% of the time.

ahh KC is a passing game and are in the SB. For the purposes of this we will say a run team is a top 10 running team.

They were
Balt, SF, Tenn, Sea, Dallas, Minn, Indy, Buf, Houst, Az

Playoff teams
NE, BUff, Balt, Houst, Tenn, KC, Phily, GB, MInn, NO, SF, SEatt

Totla top 10 run teams in playoffs 7 of 12, far form numbers that say passign teams dont make the playoffs,

Nor is anyone saying don't run the ball, we are saying lets do better with our passing attack like we always seem to do in the 2nd half. As an FYI our leading rusher ran the ball 138 in the first half, and 134 in the 2nd when we change our passing attack and move the ball at will. Hardly says giving up on the run.

Tical21

Reaction score
John63":34truyqw said:
Lords of Scythia":34truyqw said:
HawkerD":34truyqw said:
ivotuk":34truyqw said:

ahh KC is a passing game and are in the SB. For the purposes of this we will say a run team is a top 10 running team.

They were

Playoff teams

Totla top 10 run teams in playoffs 7 of 12, far form numbers that say passign teams dont make the playoffs,

Nor is anyone saying don't run the ball, we are saying lets do better with our passing attack like we always seem to do in the 2nd half. As an FYI our leading rusher ran the ball 138 in the first half, and 134 in the 2nd when we change our passing attack and move the ball at will. Hardly says giving up on the run.
Even though we had more yards, better efficiency and yards per play in the first halves of games. We should shift our focus to what we do worse?

ETA: I forgot to say YOUR WRONG.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tical21":cxomdo7l said:
John63":cxomdo7l said:
Lords of Scythia":cxomdo7l said:
HawkerD":cxomdo7l said:

They were

Playoff teams

Even though we had more yards, better efficiency and yards per play in the first halves of games. We should shift our focus to what we do worse?

Tical: it's YOU'RE

Tical21

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":34angmz7 said:
Tical21":34angmz7 said:
John63":34angmz7 said:
Lords of Scythia":34angmz7 said:

They were

Playoff teams

Dammit dude! Don't tell him, I could've kept this up for weeks. Gonna start calling you Leroy.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":3gtsg9zs said:
John63":3gtsg9zs said:
Lords of Scythia":3gtsg9zs said:
HawkerD":3gtsg9zs said:

They were

Playoff teams

Okay first some of what you say are once again not true

1st half total tds 21
2nd half total tds 24

since scoring is what wins games naturally you would want to go with what gets you more scores.

Now lets look at efficiency first half passing comp % 66 2nd half 66 hmm,

Now lets really look at it

Best complt% 3rd qtr
most TDs 4th qtr
best YPA rushing OT
Best YPA passing 1st qtr

Hmm so out of these thing the 1st hhalf account for only 1

Yeah sorry but as usual you're WRONG.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":23do1ura said:
hawksfansinceday1":23do1ura said:
Tical21":23do1ura said:
John63":23do1ura said:

They were

Playoff teams

Dammit dude! Don't tell him, I could've kept this up for weeks. Gonna start calling you Leroy.

LOL it took someone else to catch on I was using the wrong your LOL how pathetic are you.

Tical21

Reaction score
John63":jm2j2z3q said:
Tical21":jm2j2z3q said:
hawksfansinceday1":jm2j2z3q said:
Tical21":jm2j2z3q said:

LOL it took someone else to catch on I was using the wrong your LOL how pathetic are you.
Yards/Play - 1st half
Rushing yards - 1st half
Rushing average - 1st half
Passing Yards - 1st half
Passing yards/attempt - 1st half
Int - 1st half
Rating - 1st half
ANY/A - 1st half

But we need to do everything the same way we do it in the second half when we get, how did you say it, "yards at will?"

No your pathetic.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":2mvtti9o said:
John63":2mvtti9o said:
Tical21":2mvtti9o said:
hawksfansinceday1":2mvtti9o said:

Yards/Play - 1st half
Rushing yards - 1st half
Rushing average - 1st half
Passing Yards - 1st half
Passing yards/attempt - 1st half
Int - 1st half
Rating - 1st half
ANY/A - 1st half

But we need to do everything the same way we do it in the second half when we get, how did you say it, "yards at will?"

No your pathetic.

Ah so instead of team now we are just talking Wilson got it

So lets look at your great stats

1st half Complt% 66
2nd half 66

total tds first half 17
2nd half 16

1st half sacks 28
2nd half 19

first half total yards 2177
2bd half total yards 2110

So yoru argument is hey his number are marginally better in the first half we should stick with it evne though it costs us games?

lets look at the team numbers

Okay first some of what you say are once again not true

1st half total tds 21
2nd half total tds 24

since scoring is what wins games naturally you would want to go with what gets you more scores.

Now lets look at efficiency first half passing comp % 66 2nd half 66 hmm,

Now lets really look at it

Best complt% 3rd qtr
most TDs 4th qtr
best YPA rushing OT
Best YPA passing 1st qtr

Hmm so out of these things the 1st half account for only 1

Yeah sorry but as usual you're WRONG.

John63

Reaction score
Lets make this clear and we will look at the post season to make our point

first half scoring
Me Finder Query Results Pro Football Reference com

2nd half scoring
Finder Query Results Pro Football Reference com 1

game over your WRONG Tical!

daveman918

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":24qmmiy8 said:
Thats the whole point that everybody is complaining about. Pete ball works when you have the talent to make it work (good defense and stout running game). When you have neither, why does he continue doing it for entire halves? Its maddening and he refuses to change and adapt.

:ditto:

First place to start is on talent on both sides of the line. Our defensive system does not work without a good pass rush and ability to stop the run and our run game doesn't work with without a top 10 line. Also, if Diggs can't stay healthy we need ET version 2.

mcbobly

Reaction score
hawksfansince90":lfyfcifm said:
Pete is the one costing Hawks in big games. SB Int vs Pats and now again with pretty much the same play again taking a dumb penalty pissing away the division title and bye.
I wholeheartedly agree. He was good for a while but I feel his time has long sense passed and it's time to begin the search for a replacement.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mcbobly":288m99fw said:
hawksfansince90":288m99fw said:
Pete is the one costing Hawks in big games. SB Int vs Pats and now again with pretty much the same play again taking a dumb penalty pissing away the division title and bye.
I wholeheartedly agree. He was good for a while but I feel his time has long sense passed and it's time to begin the search for a replacement.
*since*, not sense.
If you want to be with taken seriously....

Latest posts