Peter King: hawks defense is back

knownone

Reaction score
I'm in the believe it when I see it camp, as well.

The defense should be fast and solid in pass defense. Progress was made in those areas last season, and we've added meaningful depth to those positions. So I can get behind the idea that we'll be formidable. And if the author simply compares this secondary to the LoB, fine. It seems premature, but I get it. Our secondary should be pretty good.

However, our biggest issue last season was run defense. And on paper, it's unclear that our run defense has improved. Therein lies my issue with the LoB comparison. The LoB was elite at all levels, not just the secondary.

bileever

Reaction score
The team has been near the bottom for 4 years, in terms of number of yards allowed (2019-26th, 2020-22nd, 2021-28th, 2022-26th). Unless that improves, we have no chance.

"Will the defense be any good this year?" The Magic 8-ball response is: "Cannot predict now" or "Outlook not clear."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is where i'm at. It could be good or it could be really bad. I wouldnt be surprised either way.

Should be better, that's as far as I'm willing to go.

But that bar is low, so better still might only mean mediocre.

Depth is what I'm most worried about, especially on the interior line and LB. One or two key injuries and we'll be back to giving up 150 yards a game rushing. Let's hope there's some post cut roster additions or trades in the works.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think our secondary looks great, and the pass rush should be improved. Can we stop the run will determine how far we go this year.

I think it's funny that in a passing league, every Seahawk fan thinks our long term success depends on stopping the run. It's like they are admitting Pete's run first strategy was right all along.

Personally I think the run defense will be decent enough. What gives me nightmares and has been a very long standing issue, is stopping the screens and shallow crossers. In Pete's obsession to not give up deep balls, he drops the LBs too far back to stop any of the underneath stuff that kills us on a weekly basis.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just look at the TOP, if they could stop the run, they wouldn't have been on the bad side of it last year. Teams pretty much told us they were gonna' run, and the Hawks couldn't stop it for for several weeks. All starting with that debacle in Germany.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think it's funny that in a passing league, every Seahawk fan thinks our long term success depends on stopping the run. It's like they are admitting Pete's run first strategy was right all along.

Personally I think the run defense will be decent enough. What gives me nightmares and has been a very long standing issue, is stopping the screens and shallow crossers. In Pete's obsession to not give up deep balls, he drops the LBs too far back to stop any of the underneath stuff that kills us on a weekly basis.

It all goes hand in hand.

The reason the Hawk's D was getting gashed with the shallow stuff was because they were giving up 5-6 yards + on first down against the run. That means you're susceptible to easy play action and the screen game.

It's all about forcing the offense to be predictable. Stop the run on 1st down for short gains, and then YOU get to dictate. As opposed to being dictated to.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Last year the defense sucked big time. There will be 5-6 new starters on defense. Now I’m no mathematician, but that’s half of the defensive starters as new. One of those starters is a returning starter in Bobby Wagner. While the defense wasn’t good in his last year in Seattle, it was clearly worse without Bobby. His presence alone will help tremendously.
If the defense is as bad or worse than last year, then it’s clearly on Hurtt. The replacement starters are better than the guys they replaced. The defense will be better. How much is to be determined.
I'd count Jarran Reed as a returning starter too. He was just away longer than Bobby.

toffee

Reaction score
The team has been near the bottom for 4 years, in terms of number of yards allowed (2019-26th, 2020-22nd, 2021-28th, 2022-26th). Unless that improves, we have no chance.

"Will the defense be any good this year?" The Magic 8-ball response is: "Cannot predict now" or "Outlook not clear."
Wow, we were 26th in 2022, and 28th in 2021! Unless we improve to 12th-15th, we will need luck to get into playoff, and no chance once there.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Wow, we were 26th in 2022, and 28th in 2021! Unless we improve to 12th-15th, we will need luck to get into playoff, and no chance once there.
yes, exactly. It's been a steady decline.

NoGain

Reaction score
I like Peter King. He's a legendary NFL reporter, and a genuine good guy. He's forgotten more about the NFL than most of us will ever know.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Balance wins championships. Most teams who win the owl don't have a LOB level defense, correct? So they make up for it with elite offensive play. Are we elite on either side of the ball yet? No. And until we are, we probably won't win the division, let alone the owl. But we're close, and it could happen sooner rather than later. My eyes will be on Geno and the run D. Will be a fun season for sure.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Balance wins championships. Most teams who win the owl don't have a LOB level defense, correct? So they make up for it with elite offensive play. Are we elite on either side of the ball yet? No. And until we are, we probably won't win the division, let alone the owl. But we're close, and it could happen sooner rather than later. My eyes will be on Geno and the run D. Will be a fun season for sure.
We have all the trappings of an elite O. And I'm including our QB when I say this. Consistent run blocking is the only thing holding us back from that designation, IMO. We are borderline elite at RB and def elite at WR and TE. Those groups, in theory, should help get elite play from Geno. Our OL should soon mesh and that's when we'll have nice things.

WarHawks

Reaction score
We have all the trappings of an elite O. And I'm including our QB when I say this. Consistent run blocking is the only thing holding us back from that designation, IMO. We are borderline elite at RB and def elite at WR and TE. Those groups, in theory, should help get elite play from Geno. Our OL should soon mesh and that's when we'll have nice things.
Sounds good! I hope you're right.

Fade

Reaction score
Here's the problem I run into--they couldn't stop the run with Poona Ford, Al Woods, Mone, and Shelby Harris. Known veteran quantities that were more than capable at stopping the run all of their careers. Now they are gone. (Mone still injured.)

Then there is 3rd down defense. In the Clint Hurtt/Norton era. What we see is telegraphed blitzes (when they do finally blitz) with soft zone behind it. Sure they switched up from cover 3, to cover 2 (Norton), to quarter quarter half (cover 6) (Hurtt). But it's just rearranging the lawn furniture at this point going on 6 years of this. They have real issues on 3rd down that goes beyond what coverage they are running and only a professional modern DC can fix it.

How they played Brock Purdy in the playoffs should've got some people fired. It's like they didn't even read the scouting report. This isn't college, you can't just out talent teams.

The Seahawks are very talented on defense. They have the best secondary in football if Witherspoon is the real deal, if not then they are top 5. At LBer they brought back Wagner who thrived down in LA after two down seasons in Seattle prior. Brooks and Bush provide more than capable options on the inside next to Wagner.

On the Edge, Seattle hasn't been this deep in 10 years when they had Avril, Clemons, and Irvin. Replaced by a younger crew of Nwosu, Mafe, Taylor, and Hall.

DT with Dre Jones & J.Reed is a nice combo for 3rd down rushes which should wreak some havoc. Paired with their excellent secondary they should be one of the best 3rd down defenses in the league.

A competent staff could easily make this a top 10ish unit in total, top half of the league at the very least. Hurtt and co. are going to drag them down though, you know it, and I know it.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think this year the first 6 or so weeks the D will look awful. Just like it has been for years. Then they will get slightly better and end up in the 15-20 range in total for the year. They have zero ability to stop the run still. Maybe better than last year a little. And if the pass rush isn’t a lot better then teams will do what they have been doing to the hawks since 2020. Run to set up pass then run some more to win the game.

Latest posts