Pick #118 - LB Tyrice Knight

Scout

Reaction score
Dodson and Baker are two starting caliber LBs. Knight doesn't need to start right away.

Yeah Dodson is your cover back while Baker plays downhill as a blitzer or flowing sideline to sideline If Knight can beat out either one I would be really impressed.

Last edited:

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Yeah Dodson is your coverer back while Baker plays downhill as a blitzer or flowing sideline to sideline If Knight can beat out either one I would be really impressed.
I think you have it reversed.

Chevy

Reaction score
I had forgotten Mike was a LBer coach for multiple years before becoming a DC, if he hand-picked Knight then I'm excited to see his (Knight) potential and how he transitions into the NFL.

It definitely seems like JS deferred to Mike with the selection of Knight. Knight is Mike's guy.

sutz

Reaction score
It definitely seems like JS deferred to Mike with the selection of Knight. Knight is Mike's guy.
Yeah, the whole "JS is in charge of everything" line has been a bit overblown. No GM worth his salt is gonna leave the coaching staff out of the loop in player selection. Sure, he has the "final say," but the head coach has input too.

12forlife

Reaction score
Oh I don't like this one at all

Turns like a mack truck without the size or pop to justify it. Not much athletic upside at all. He's a sure tackler but that's about it. Small school too. Over-aged.

Man. MM has earned the right to get the linebackers he wants so I'm not gonna say "they're wrong" but I ain't hyped on that one. Nothing like the Ravens LBs who all have intense speed.
I think we need to have some patience. We're not getting the ship righted in one offseason. I agree Knight isn't a over the top prospect? Atleast we know the dude can tackle. I see between next year's draft & FA MM will focus more on his guys! Without a 2nd rd pick we missed the top LBers, this was a weak class for LB, Cooper was the only LB I think is special. Wilson is good also, but way to many injury concerns, where we need to try and find more sure things.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I had forgotten Mike was a LBer coach for multiple years before becoming a DC, if he hand-picked Knight then I'm excited to see his (Knight) potential and how he transitions into the NFL.

Kind of makes me think of DC Brian Flores of Miami last season. Flores was LBers coach for Pitt. previously. They got Ivan Pace Jr. as an UDFA and he went on to have one of the top 10 rookie seasons last season.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think we need to have some patience. We're not getting the ship righted in one offseason. I agree Knight isn't a over the top prospect? Atleast we know the dude can tackle. I see between next year's draft & FA MM will focus more on his guys! Without a 2nd rd pick we missed the top LBers, this was a weak class for LB, Cooper was the only LB I think is special. Wilson is good also, but way to many injury concerns, where we need to try and find more sure things.
Don't get me wrong, I'm patient. If Mac wants Tyrice Knight, I welcome him making me look stupid. I can't argue with his track record at LB. I'm just posting my own thoughts, and they should be seen as the thoughts of an amateur follower of the sport. I don't think I know more than literally any of these dudes who do this for a living.

I couldn't effectively HC a high school team. I'm not one of the dudes here who actually thinks he knows better than the coaches and evaluators who've reached the pinnacle of the sport.

Mac should get whatever he wants at LB, and I'm totally gonna let him see it through for a few years before I even think of reaching for an internet torch and pitchfork.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
While generally I think "trust in X" is a stupid and lazy position to take on anything I have to believe that the new coach has a vision and a type he wants for the position and this player fit his type. I do not have any problem with the position (LB) or the player but the value certainly was not there for where he was taken in the draft.

CactusJack

Reaction score
This is the one pick that leaves me scratching my head. They're gambling on his athletic traits. But he's not a plug & play starter. It's a hit or miss type of pick.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
This is the one pick that leaves me scratching my head. I'm hoping he becomes a starting caliber player but I have my doubts. This seems like a dart throw. A definite reach.
He seems the opposite of a dart throw. This seems like a guy that Macdonald specifically targeted. I also don’t think it can be considered a reach when we got him at #118 instead of #121 or #136. 90% of these fourth rounders are going to wash out any way.

CactusJack

Reaction score
He seems the opposite of a dart throw. This seems like a guy that Macdonald specifically targeted. I also don’t think it can be considered a reach when we got him at #118 instead of #121 or #136. 90% of these fourth rounders are going to wash out any way.
He has tools. But it's a dart throw in the sense that he's very raw & he needs a lot of fine tuning. It's one of those where you gamble on the athletic traits. You hope that with coaching he can develop into a starter down the line.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score

was slated as 7th round pick so will be thought of as a reach by many. I think this is a McDonald pick all the way,​

DRAFT PROFILE: BIO​

Tyrice Knight from Lake Gibson High School was rated a 2-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Knight joined UTEP.

In 2020 as a freshman Knight saw action in 8 games and played a total of 390 snaps at linebacker for the Miners. He recorded 40 tackles, 12 assists, while adding 21 stops. In coverage Knight notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targeted of 99.1. As a pass rusher, he added 5 total pressures, which included 2 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 2 sacks on the season.

As a sophomore for the Miners in 2021 Knight played in 13 games and took part in 810 snaps for the Miners. He recorded solid 85 tackles, 29 assists, while adding 48 stops. In coverage Knight made 4 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targeted of 95.2. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 12 total pressures, and 7 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks during the year.

In 2022 as a junior Knight played in 12 games and contributed on 736 snaps. He recorded solid 59 tackles, 35 assists while making 30 stops. In coverage Knight chalked up 2 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targeted of 111.2. As a pass rusher, he produced 14 total pressures, which included 5 QB hurries, 8 QB hits, and one sack on the year.

In 2023 as a senior Knight logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 779 snaps for the Miners. He also added a massive 117 tackles, 19 assists, and 75 stops. While in coverage Knight made 2 pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targeted of 106.9. As a pass rusher, he tallied 14 total pressures, which included 9 QB hurries, no QB hits, and 5 sacks on the season.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Closes quickly on relatively immobile quarterbacks. A consistently heavy hitter who flashes explosiveness and the ability to separate the ball.
  • He’s an explosive mover who plays an aggressive, physical style. He’s extremely instinctive playing the run, and when Knight was at his best, he showed sideline-to-sideline range.
  • An instinctive run defender who is quick to read and react, he is consistently in the right spot at the right time.
  • Knight shows good speed and closing burst when blitzing.
  • Downhill defender and physical tackler. Uses his eyes to decipher and break down the play, showing good awareness and discipline to sniff out fakes.
  • A chase-and-tackle Will prospect, he is instinctive, reading and reacting quickly and showing the ability to absolutely fly around the field.

Scout

Reaction score
I think you have it reversed.
Baker is not as good as Dodson playing in space. He can do it but Baker is bette playing downhill. Dodson is better at stacking and shedding to make a play on the ball. Baker is more of a disruptor near the LOS and not really a traditional LB. Both players compliment each other well and that is exciting.

As for Knight he is going to have a limited role as a rookie, but probably have a more expanded role next year if his development progresses. Knight is basically Baker's back up since they are very similar in how they play the game.