Was A Rich the pick?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
All this new qb talk got me thinking..was there any actual confirmation that Richardson was gonna be picked if he was still there? Just wondering how serious a qb pick was considered during the last draft.

CactusJack

Reaction score
All this new qb talk got me thinking..was there any actual confirmation that Richardson was gonna be picked if he was still there? Just wondering how serious a qb pick was considered during the last draft.
Brady Henderson reported that it was between Will Anderson & Witherspoon. When Anderson got picked, Spoon was their guy.

Rob Rang also confirmed that Richardson was not in their plans at 5.

John has said publicly that they targeted two defensive players (Anderson & Spoon), and if neither player was still available to them, then they would've shopped the pick. Meaning likely made a pick swap with Arizona (#5 for #12).

Last edited:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Annoying that Schneider is so gun shy around QB picks. A third and a 7th are all he's spent on the most important position in football. In over 10 years. That's pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
Annoying that Schneider is so gun shy around QB picks. A third and a 7th are all he's spent on the most important position in football. In over 10 years. That's pretty ridiculous when you think about it.
True. I think ME3 had a role in this though and they wanted to be careful about his fragile ego

IndyHawk

Reaction score
annoying that Schneider is so gun shy around QB picks. A third and a 7th are all he's spent on the most important position in football. In over 10 years. That's pretty ridiculous when you think about it.
I wouldn't piss on JS on QBs..He wanted to trade Me3 years before they did
for Josh Allen.
He avoided Richardson who lasted how many quarters with various injuries?
I have faith he will find the right QB,it may not be the one that's overhyped
by the media and worshipped by fans who buy into that hype.

Rat

Reaction score
I wanted Anderson so bad. I knew it wasn't super likely, but it could have happened had the stupid Cards traded that third pick to a QB needy team instead of the Texans, who had just selected a QB. Although, that thought process was back when it was considered possible that Will Levis could go 4th, and I think we saw later that the league was not quite as high on him as thought. Maybe the Colts would have taken Witherspoon or Bijan or something. I was hoping it'd be like when Penei Sewell fell to 7th a few years back when there was no good reason for it.

renofox

Reaction score
for Josh Allen.
But there's no proof he wanted Allen or I-forget-who-the-other-was, other than statements made after the fact.

I watched the Colts games with Richardson starting. He was showing huge potential before the injury. Coaches did not rein in his reckless running at all, unlike the Seahawks who have been coaching it all the way back to Hasselbeck (remember the slip-n-slide).

If Richardson would have come to the Seahawks his injury risk would have been greatly mitigated.

Everyone knew any QB going to the Colts basically had no chance. Look what they did to Luck, and look what they were doing with Richardson - the injury was easily foretold.

One unassailable fact. One 3rd and one 7th over 14 years. That is malpractice.

CactusJack

Reaction score
for Josh Allen.
Also, the last few drafts haven't been great for QB's.

The 2021 draft hasn't been good. Zack Wilson, Trey Lance, & Mac Jones all look like major busts.

Meanwhile, 2022 was just a terrible class. As Kenny Pickett & Ridder have struggled.

Trevor Lawrence & Stroud are the only recent picks to have panned out so far.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
Richardson was a less polished product than Justin Fields. He would have been a disaster in Waldron's system. Stroud and Levis were the scheme fits and probably not feasible where we drafted.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Richardson was a less polished product than Justin Fields. He would have been a disaster in Waldron's system. Stroud and Levis were the scheme fits and probably not feasible where we drafted.
Stroud would've been a perfect fit.

Richardson is in the perfect situation now with Steichen as his coach.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
for Josh Allen.
Sure. My analogy would be, Brian Epstein, sniffing around for a potential replacement for John Lennon, you know, just in case that McCartney/Lennon thing could be improved.

Take it from me, that Paul, George, Ringo and Geno collaboration kinda upset the creative balance, and that album really sucked. Ha ha. 😃

Ozzy

Reaction score
Richardson looks like he’s going to be a star in Indy

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I do trust JS's eye for talent at the QB position. I don't think he has had the permission to get one. I think that's about to change.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I'll add there is much more to the General Manager position than an eye for talent.

Maybe JS can go scout a future punter too. Q: Good idea or not?

What if it gets leaked to the present punter?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
But there's no proof he wanted Allen or I-forget-who-the-other-was, other than statements made after the fact.

I watched the Colts games with Richardson starting. He was showing huge potential before the injury. Coaches did not rein in his reckless running at all, unlike the Seahawks who have been coaching it all the way back to Hasselbeck (remember the slip-n-slide).

If Richardson would have come to the Seahawks his injury risk would have been greatly mitigated.

Everyone knew any QB going to the Colts basically had no chance. Look what they did to Luck, and look what they were doing with Richardson - the injury was easily foretold.

One unassailable fact. One 3rd and one 7th over 14 years. That is malpractice.
I'm not sure on the Hawks preventing AR's injuries
this is a team that had or let Me3 run all over the place.

I get all the Colts games here obviously and I can tell you
he hurt himself by not going down or trying to shake off the
first tackle.

I understand the Luck comp Luck did the same stuff too
he would use his big body to fight for more yards or run
reckless.

One thing is when these type of QBs get hurt it seems like the
thing to do is blame the OL or the HC.

I would look at all the injuries and think about how many happen
to a running QB and is it really worth all the games missed?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Richardson looks like he’s going to be a star in Indy
He does? He's hardly played.
I think the term "Star" should be earned first.

Getting hurt all the time brings nothing to the table.

themunn

Reaction score

Between 2013 and 2021 what 1st or 2nd round pick that we had would you have used on a QB?

The only decent QB I can see that was picked post 20th (where we typically drafted) was Jalen Hurts and to be honest I don't think he's so much better than Geno that you sit here and regret it.

Everyone else that you'd want we'd have to have traded multiple picks for - at a position where we already had a guy who until 2021 everyone though was a HoF guy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He does? He's hardly played.
I think the term "Star" should be earned first.

Getting hurt all the time brings nothing to the table.
Yeah he’s flashed a ton of potential in his limited time. I think most around the league see him as a stud but yes time will tell