Playoff wins

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I keep seeing posts sprinkled with only 3 playoff wins in the last 7 years as a reason to blow it all up and start from scratch. Every time I see one of these it reminds me how spoiled this fan base is. Never mind that it took this franchise 8 years to make the playoffs for the first time and get its first win.

They got 2 playoff wins in 1983 and the waited another 22(!) years for their next playoff win. Twenty freaking two!! In 46 years as an NFL franchise they have made the playoffs 19 times. 9 of those playoff years are during the Pete Carroll era. This is only the 7th time in the last 20 years that they have missed the playoffs.

Since 2015 there are only 5 teams with more playoff wins than the Seahawks.

Team Playoff Game Wins
1. New England Patriots 9
2. Kansas City Chiefs 7
3. Green Bay Packers 5
4. Philadelphia Eagles 4
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4
6. Pittsburgh Steelers 3
7. New Orleans Saints 3
8. Seattle Seahawks 3
9. Los Angeles Rams 3
10. Tennessee Titans 3

It’s difficult to win in this league. It’s even harder to maintain success. For the last 10 years this team has maintained success. All under Pete Carroll.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1dwqghxc said:
I keep seeing posts sprinkled with only 3 playoff wins in the last 7 years as a reason to blow it all up and start from scratch. Every time I see one of these it reminds me how spoiled this fan base is. Never mind that it took this franchise 8 years to make the playoffs for the first time and get its first win.

They got 2 playoff wins in 1983 and the waited another 22(!) years for their next playoff win. Twenty freaking two!! In 46 years as an NFL franchise they have made the playoffs 19 times. 9 of those playoff years are during the Pete Carroll era. This is only the 7th time in the last 20 years that they have missed the playoffs.

Team Playoff Game Wins
2. Kansas City Chiefs 7
3. Green Bay Packers 5
4. Philadelphia Eagles 4
6. Pittsburgh Steelers 3
7. New Orleans Saints 3
8. Seattle Seahawks 3
9. Los Angeles Rams 3
10. Tennessee Titans 3

It’s difficult to win in this league. It’s even harder to maintain success. For the last 10 years this team has maintained success. All under Pete Carroll.
Realistically the Seahawks should only have two wins, thanks to Blair Walsh. Our wins also have come against Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Stafford with a messed up throwing hand and sprained ankle and Luke McCown. Most of those teams on the list have also mounted a deep playoff run or Super Bowl win, the Seahawks haven't even gone past the divisional round since 2014. We're now at 1 playoff win in 5 seasons and two out of the last four years missing the playoffs entirely.

Most frustrating of all, I'm seeing a repeating theme here with our losses. We keep throwing the same garbage at the other teams expecting the same results. We come out very conservative and get absolutely trounced by guys like Rodgers and beaten by guys like Goff with a bum hand.

It's also worth noting as well that we have more losses since 2015 than any of those teams. (* indicates conference championship appearance, ** indicates Super Bowl appearance, *** indicates Super Bowl win)

1. New England Patriots: 9-3 **, ***, ***,
1. Tampa Bay Bucs: 4-0 ***
2. Philadelphia Eagles: 4-2 ***
3. Kansas City Chiefs: 6-4 ***, **
4. Green Bay Packers: 5-4 *, *, *
5. Tennessee Titans: 3-3 **
6. L.A Rams: 3-3 **
8.New Orleans Saints: 3-4 *
9. Pittsburgh Steelers: 3-4 *
10. Seattle Seahawks: 3-5

Each one of these teams have gone achieved at least a conference championship appearance. What's more even more interesting is that of these teams only the Seahawks, Steelers, Packers, Saints, and Patriots have had a stable QB situation through that whole duration.

Within the last two years (** not including 2021**), Drew Brees missed 9 games, Roethlisberger missed 22, including most of a whole season, Rodgers missed 10, most of them in 2017, Brady missed 4, Wilson missed 0.

Additionally, only Bilichick, Carroll, Reid, Payton and Tomlin served each of those years from 2015-2020. LaFleur, Arians, Pederson, McVay, and Vrable were only around for a portion of that time.

We have the worst winning percentages out of these teams in the playoffs, the least amount of conference championship appearances, while having the least amount of injuries at the QB position. Carroll has been pretty bad during the playoffs since 2015, especially considering his 2015 unit was better statistically in mostly every way than the 2014 unit. That year we squandered a lot of our potential. We got walked by the Vikings led by Bridgewater and only won by the good graces of Blair Walsh, who we then signed for some inexplicable reason

No two ways about it, we've been bad here.

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":25dkopb5 said:
oldhawkfan":25dkopb5 said:

Team Playoff Game Wins
2. Kansas City Chiefs 7
3. Green Bay Packers 5
4. Philadelphia Eagles 4
6. Pittsburgh Steelers 3
7. New Orleans Saints 3
8. Seattle Seahawks 3
9. Los Angeles Rams 3
10. Tennessee Titans 3

Realistically the Seahawks should only have two wins, thanks to Blair Walsh. Our wins also have come against Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Stafford with a messed up throwing hand and sprained ankle and Luke McCown. Most of those teams on the list have also mounted a deep playoff run or Super Bowl win, the Seahawks haven't even gone past the divisional round since 2014. We're now at 1 playoff win in 5 seasons and two out of the last four years missing the playoffs entirely.

Most frustrating of all, I'm seeing a repeating theme here with our losses. We keep throwing the same garbage at the other teams expecting the same results. We come out very conservative and get absolutely trounced by guys like Rodgers and beaten by guys like Goff with a bum hand.

It's also worth noting as well that we have more losses since 2015 than any of those teams. (* indicates conference championship appearance, ** indicates Super Bowl appearance, *** indicates Super Bowl win)

Each one of these teams have gone achieved at least a conference championship appearance. What's more even more interesting is that of these teams only the Seahawks, Steelers, Packers, Saints, and Patriots have had a stable QB situation through that whole duration.

Within the last two years (** not including 2021**), Drew Brees missed 9 games, Roethlisberger missed 22, including most of a whole season, Rodgers missed 10, most of them in 2017, Brady missed 4, Wilson missed 0.

Additionally, only Bilichick, Carroll, Reid, Payton and Tomlin served each of those years from 2015-2020. LaFleur, Arians, Pederson, McVay, and Vrable were only around for a portion of that time.

We have the worst winning percentages out of these teams in the playoffs, the least amount of conference championship appearances, while having the least amount of injuries at the QB position. Carroll has been pretty bad during the playoffs since 2015, especially considering his 2015 unit was better statistically in mostly every way than the 2014 unit. That year we squandered a lot of our potential. We got walked by the Vikings led by Bridgewater and only won by the good graces of Blair Walsh, who we then signed for some inexplicable reason

22 other teams might not agree with you.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3b53mel7 said:
Every time I see one of these it reminds me how spoiled this fan base is.

The first losing season since 2011 and only the 2nd missed playoffs in that timeframe and the sky is falling. My non-homer opinion is the fan base is definitely spoiled.

I would be too I guess. :mrgreen:

The thing now is people think Wilson can lead them back to the Super Bowl when he was never the reason they got there… it was the LOB. Once the LOB was dismantled how many NFC championship games have the Seahawks sniffed? None.

John63

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":wt0m9unj said:
oldhawkfan":wt0m9unj said:
Every time I see one of these it reminds me how spoiled this fan base is.

The first losing season since 2011 and only the 2nd missed playoffs in that timeframe and the sky is falling. My non-homer opinion is the fan base is definitely spoiled.

I would be too I guess. :mrgreen:

The thing now is people think Wilson can lead them back to the Super Bowl when he was never the reason they got there… it was the LOB. Once the LOB was dismantled how many NFC championship games have the Seahawks sniffed? None.

How many did the LOB get them to before Wilson? None. The LOB was the reason they did not get there in 2012 when they gave up a lead with 20 seconds to go in the game. The LOB was not why they got to the SB they like Lynch. And Wilson all played very big roles in getting there. Like it or not the facts prove it.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
John63":2m66shpo said:
How many did the LOB get them to before Wilson? None. The LOB was the reason they did not get there in 2012 when they gave up a lead with 20 seconds to go in the game. The LOB was not why they got to the SB they like Lynch. And Wilson all played very big roles in getting there. Like it or not the facts prove it.

If you say so... that 2012 Atlanta game the Falcons and their dominating defense (LOL) had a 20-0 halftime lead... and in typical Falcons fashion allowed the Hawks to storm back with 3 TD's in the 4th... sure the LOB blew it in the last 20 seconds but that loss was a total team effort both offensively and defensively.

LOB even said it motivated them in 2013... which I'm pretty sure we can agree that it did. Either way... point being I give more credit to the 2013-2014 LOB than I do Wilson/Lynch for what should have been 2 championships... because the Hawks haven't made it out of the 2nd round since. Wilson has gotten paid anyway... gimping the rest of the team in the process.

A common theme with QB mega contracts. How many have won the Super Bowl since getting paid in the last 20 years? None that I can think of. Brady doesn't count cuz he's always taking one for the team and taking pay cuts to get talent around him.

John63

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":1k7kgpf3 said:
John63":1k7kgpf3 said:

If you say so... that 2012 Atlanta game the Falcons and their dominating defense (LOL) had a 20-0 halftime lead... and in typical Falcons fashion allowed the Hawks to storm back with 3 TD's in the 4th... sure the LOB blew it in the last 20 seconds but that loss was a total team effort both offensively and defensively.

LOB even said it motivated them in 2013... which I'm pretty sure we can agree that it did. Either way... point being I give more credit to the 2013-2014 LOB than I do Wilson/Lynch for what should have been 2 championships... because the Hawks haven't made it out of the 2nd round since. Wilson has gotten paid anyway... gimping the rest of the team in the process.

A common theme with QB mega contracts. How many have won the Super Bowl since getting paid in the last 20 years? None that I can think of. Brady doesn't count cuz he's always taking one for the team and taking pay cuts to get talent around him.

how many got there without a top QB answer 2. Also, you need to make the playoffs to have a chance you need a great QB to do that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You're right, it is very difficult to win in the playoffs consistently, for any team.

So the question isn't why haven't we won more in the playoffs as of late as we used to, the question is do you think Pete and John are building a team that eventually will win in the playoffs consistently again and hopefully get back to another SB.

If you say yes, man I'd like to hear why. Cause I don't see it, and haven't seen it for a while. We literally only have 6-7 even above average players on this roster right now.

Russ
Lockett
DK
Diggs
Wagner
Brooks
Taylor

That's it, and Bobby and Diggs might not, and probably won't even be here next year. Hell, Russell might not either.

Some of you guys are living in La La Seahawk land thinking it's 2013 or something. It's not, and it hasn't been for a long time.

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2gyc4z18 said:
You're right, it is very difficult to win in the playoffs consistently, for any team.

So the question isn't why haven't we won more in the playoffs as of late as we used to, the question is do you think Pete and John are building a team that eventually will win in the playoffs consistently again and hopefully get back to another SB.

If you say yes, man I'd like to hear why. Cause I don't see it, and haven't seen it for a while. We literally only have 6-7 even above average players on this roster right now.

Russ
Lockett
DK
Diggs
Wagner
Brooks
Taylor

That's it, and Bobby and Diggs might not, and probably won't even be here next year. Hell, Russell might not either.

Some of you guys are living in La La Seahawk land thinking it's 2013 or something. It's not, and it hasn't been for a long time.

A lot of people's attitudes are stuck in the past. Some are still shell shocked from the lost decade of the 90s. Others are still back in our Super Bowl (s) hey day.

The reality of 2022 is that Carroll already had a rebuilt/reset opportunity 4 years ago. He (and Schneider) failed. We have been trending downward since then, even with last year's gift of a schedule. Wilson is getting impatient. The RB is more injured than not. Other parts of the team inconsistent. The draft full of whiffs.

We are not headed in the right direction. Plus Father Time is calling on Pete. He wants to win NOW, which means the likelihood of a repeat horror like the Adams trade is possible if he stays (shudder).

This is all there for everyone to see.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, it's been same old same old for awhile now. If anything, they overachieved last year. Look, I might be an optimist by nature, But.....a 12-4 record, winning a LOT of close games etc. That did NOT look like a 12 win team to me. This year, QB gets hurt, and they were struggling even before that. And they have lost at least 5 games they had a chance to take this year. We def. got spoiled with all the close victories the last decade.
At the same time, Pete and his staff rarely adjusts.
If Pete is back, I have a hard time seeing anything but a decent regular season and an early exit in the playoffs. Yet again......meh. Enough already, time for some real change.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":n8jkvtei said:

Russ
Lockett
DK
Diggs
Wagner
Brooks
Taylor

The question SHOULD be, are Pete and JS outpacing what other organizations in their similar position are doing. Are they winning, in all facets-regular season/playoffs, at an average, below average, or above average pace with teams that have a franchise QB. Legit franchise QB. That, in my opinion, includes teams with QBs like Brady, Rogers, Brees, and Mahomes, who are a notch above Russell and teams with Carr, Allen, Lamar, Watson, Murray etc...who are a notch below Russell or closing in on him.

That's how I assess whether or not the organization as currently constructed, is performing. To me, they're right about I would expect. They're performance on the field is about equal to the talent level of the QB compared to his peers. 2 SB appearances with 1 win and an uneven playoffs outside of that. About even with Brees who is a better QB, but less talented than Russell. Worse than Brady and Rogers who are better. Will end up worse than Mahomes once he reaches a similar length of career, who is better than Russell. Better performance than any other team with legit franchise QB, with some of them young enough and talented enough to equal or surpass the Seahawks level of success.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1jfxnr11 said:
oldhawkfan":1jfxnr11 said:

Team Playoff Game Wins
2. Kansas City Chiefs 7
3. Green Bay Packers 5
4. Philadelphia Eagles 4
6. Pittsburgh Steelers 3
7. New Orleans Saints 3
8. Seattle Seahawks 3
9. Los Angeles Rams 3
10. Tennessee Titans 3

Sounds to me like you need to find another team to root for

xray

Reaction score
Always being the bridesmaid is better then not being in the wedding at all ...I suppose :oops:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
OG2":2zm5vxgh said:
Spin Doctor":2zm5vxgh said:
oldhawkfan":2zm5vxgh said:

Team Playoff Game Wins
2. Kansas City Chiefs 7
3. Green Bay Packers 5
4. Philadelphia Eagles 4
6. Pittsburgh Steelers 3
7. New Orleans Saints 3
8. Seattle Seahawks 3
9. Los Angeles Rams 3
10. Tennessee Titans 3

Sounds to me like you need to find another team to root for
Sounds to me like you have nothing valuable to contribute to this conversation and need to shut it. Gtfo with that garbage. Not liking the direction a team is going =\= not being a fan, get that through your head. If you can’t even understand that I don’t know what to say.