Possible trade: Zach Ertz to Seattle?

nwHawk

Reaction score
$12,471,500 is what Ertz's cap number is for 2021. They only way that happens is if big money is moved. My guess is they're trying to get inside scoop in case he gets cut at some point.

Right now there are Dissley (solid all around but not spectacular), Parkinson (tall potentially very good pass catcher), and Tyler Mabry.

Parkinson should be particularly useful in the red zone, and Dissley may have a breakout year next season. The team might really be in search of a move TE this offseason. One that can help move the chains between the 20's. Hollister felt like an attempt to have one, but he left a lot to be desired. Anyone got thoughts on a potential move TE to sign?

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
nwHawk":28enlixg said:
$12,471,500 is what Ertz's cap number is for 2021. They only way that happens is if big money is moved. My guess is they're trying to get inside scoop in case he gets cut at some point.

Right now there are Dissley (solid all around but not spectacular), Parkinson (tall potentially very good pass catcher), and Tyler Mabry.

Parkinson should be particularly useful in the red zone, and Dissley may have a breakout year next season. The team might really be in search of a move TE this offseason. One that can help move the chains between the 20's. Hollister felt like an attempt to have one, but he left a lot to be desired. Anyone got thoughts on a potential move TE to sign?

$7,769,00 is dead Cap! $4,702,000 left to be paid! Whoever trades for Ertz will have to pay $4,702,000. If only 2 teams are interested in Ertz it might makes sense to pass on a trade & go after Ertz in Free Agency for less than $4,702,00. Philly wants to trade Ertz because if they cut him an extra & $5,200,000 hits the books of dead $$ for Ertz.

Philly doesn’t wants to cut him & Indy/Seattle are the 2 shrewdest teams in the NFL! Philly might want to give Seattle or Indy a draft pick to take Ertz off their books.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2bv7yobe said:
So the team has a gazillion TE's and they want to go out and waste money or picks on another one? Will this FO never learn?

You could say the exact same thing about the offensive line.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Makes sense to at least consider every option, but I would look at this one and check it off as a non-issue. If Wilson were to hype such a deal I would immediately start shopping Dissley, cause Russ's wandering eye would definitely be an indictment of his opinion on Diss.
I'm all in on the OL theme, just not the TE part. I'm good with what we've got there. We just need to use them instead of waiting too long for one of our WRs to break open. I would think that will be a prominent issue on Waldron's plate.

nwHawk

Reaction score
How much would Zach Ertz cost if the Eagles traded him and his contract?
Zach Ertz’s contract structure at this stage means the Eagles would have the same dead money if they released or traded him. Therefore, in a trade, the Eagles would be left with $7.77 million in dead money.

The team acquiring Ertz would take on his $8.5 million in salary.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/zach-ertz-contract-details-salary-bonuses/

I was wrong posting the full $12mil, but the Hawks would still be on the hook for $8.5 million, which is a lot for a guy coming off his worst season filled with injuries. I don't dislike Zach, I'm just tired of overpaying for past performances to hope to create a stud TE experience. I'm not sure that's the best way to use $8.5 million and a draft pick.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
nwHawk":36ecncv9 said:
Zach Ertz’s contract structure at this stage means the Eagles would have the same dead money if they released or traded him. Therefore, in a trade, the Eagles would be left with $7.77 million in dead money.

I was wrong posting the full $12mil, but the Hawks would still be on the hook for $8.5 million, which is a lot for a guy coming off his worst season filled with injuries. I don't dislike Zach, I'm just tired of overpaying for past performances to hope to create a stud TE experience. I'm not sure that's the best way to use $8.5 million and a draft pick.

Please it’s $4.7 million, why are you making this harder than it is, GO to OTC & look it up & understand the rules. They have 2 TE’s signed and are exploring options for the 3rd TE! They haven’t traded for Ertz yet so nobody knows the price but Philly could pay Seattle or Indy to take Ertz off the books & keep the dead cap hit in years 2021,2022,2023 vs having all 3 years dead cap hit in 2021.
Ertz probably isn’t worth $4.7 million after his 2020 performance but Seattle wants a Veteran TE on the 53 man roster. They kept TE Luke Wilson on the roster last year!

balakoth

Reaction score
EVeryone keeps saying "Last year we didnt.." etc..

So if you guys think a NEW OC wont change the scheme, why would you even want to go after Oline.. If you don't change the scheme and Russel doesnt learn to get it out quicker, no amount of anything will change how its been working.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2tfjeaqd said:
pittpnthrs":2tfjeaqd said:
So the team has a gazillion TE's and they want to go out and waste money or picks on another one? Will this FO never learn?

You could say the exact same thing about the offensive line.

So the big picture is the FO has failed miserably drafting those positions year after year and are dependent on FA's to make up for the incompetency. Thats a shame.

nwHawk

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":1sjmfz9g said:
nwHawk":1sjmfz9g said:

Please it’s $4.7 million, why are you making this harder than it is, GO to OTC & look it up & understand the rules. They have 2 TE’s signed and are exploring options for the 3rd TE! They haven’t traded for Ertz yet so nobody knows the price but Philly could pay Seattle or Indy to take Ertz off the books & keep the dead cap hit in years 2021,2022,2023 vs having all 3 years dead cap hit in 2021.
Ertz probably isn’t worth $4.7 million after his 2020 performance but Seattle wants a Veteran TE on the 53 man roster. They kept TE Luke Wilson on the roster last year!

Maybe you should have read the article before replying. Then you would realize Ertz previously restructured his contract twice creating 2 more years of dead money. The prorated bonus money in those void years will accelerate.

Greenhell

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":qe9bfm3f said:

My thinking, exactly.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1fp60rnh said:
Didnt graham set records as a tight end here?

He performed perfectly well in the passing game, had one of his best years in 2017, and has done no better since he left to go to more pass-heavy offenses.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
This is about the Eagles contacting the Seahawks trying to shop Ertz. Why is everyone getting worked as if it was the other way around?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3meu4r9x said:
This is about the Eagles contacting the Seahawks trying to shop Ertz. Why is everyone getting worked as if it was the other way around?
Good point.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
$8.5 mil + on another TE that will be ill used as per usual in a Seahawks O?

Is Ertz even healthy?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jammerhawk":kun5lxaj said:

Is Ertz even healthy?

I think its probably fair to expect a bit better usage of tight ends with Waldron and Dickerson coming in.

For what its worth, I dont think Ertz is worth that. They could probably get him for cheap or even get another asset in the trade, because taking on that contract would be a service to the Eagles.

Ertz could be a starting point towards getting a trade done that could include Andre Dillard on the cheap.

Either way - I'd say this all hinges on whether Russ wants Ertz. If he is excited at the prospect of adding him, go for it.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3r7knncl said:
jammerhawk":3r7knncl said:

Is Ertz even healthy?

I think its probably fair to expect a bit better usage of tight ends with Waldron and Dickerson coming in.

For what its worth, I dont think Ertz is worth that. They could probably get him for cheap or even get another asset in the trade, because taking on that contract would be a service to the Eagles.

Ertz could be a starting point towards getting a trade done that could include Andre Dillard on the cheap.

Either way - I'd say this all hinges on whether Russ wants Ertz. If he is excited at the prospect of adding him, go for it.
If they really want Ertz, they'll probably wait until he's released. He's oft injured lately and I think that's why the Eagles are trying to package him with other players. He's the type of player we talk about now, then if he doesn't get traded to someone, we hear about John scooping him up for cheap after the Eagles are forced to cut him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I like your thinking on this Orange. Personally I think he's an overpriced has been who spends far too much time recently in the trainer's rooms.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
nwHawk":cdccn8j2 said:
FresnoHawk68":cdccn8j2 said:
nwHawk":cdccn8j2 said:

Maybe you should have read the article before replying. Then you would realize Ertz previously restructured his contract twice creating 2 more years of dead money. The prorated bonus money in those void years will accelerate.

What? The acquiring team doesn’t inherit that $$! Those 2 years of dead money are the reason Philly doesn’t cut Ertz, if they cut Ertz the dead money from future years accelerates to the current year.