Power rankings

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
If our weakness is our defense, teams are already exploiting it.

The fact that we're occasionally forcing field goals or getting a fair number of turnovers means our defense isn't as bad as everyone is crying about (based on YPG). Can it get worse? Maybe a bit, but that's unlikely. If we're already setting records in yards or points given up, we'll advance to the mean most likely as the season rolls along, just like our offense from the first 3 weeks is likely to, and may already be, regress(ing) toward the mean.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
chris98251":1wm1e3v7 said:
SoulfishHawk":1wm1e3v7 said:
Anyone not thinking they are a top 5 team is choosing to doom and gloom their way thru the season. Every possible chance we get, let's downplay wins. It never ends...…...

Are we playing the Super Bowl next week ?

Since so many fans can see it you know other teams can, we have weaknesses, good team will exploit them.

5 and 0 is nice, just like seeing a bunch of swimsuit models is, but we have a long way to go and I want a show of strength from this team not more questions going from week to week.

As the old story goes, not how you start but how you finish, we have started hotter ten any season before under Pete, staying hungry and improving especially on defense is how we keep going.

Sometime people take objective as negative, it isn't.

What team doesn't have weaknesses that can be exploited? I can't think of any, at least not this year.

Nice problem to have, weaknesses but still sitting at 5-0. Means we have the ability to overcome them. Thats what separates the good teams from the great.

Hawker8989

Reaction score
Now, some may think I'm whining. Well I am. It's SB or bust. 5-0 is 5-0. But there's zero reason to be barely beating teams like NE & Minnesota. Those are not elite level teams. I'm looking at the big picture. And the big picture is better teams will be able to get to Wilson. There's going to be games he's not Superman. Then what? Will this defense carry the offense? Doesn't look like it.

So I can see why we aren't near the top of the power rankings. It's frustrating to consistently put out patchwork defenses. And it's unsustainable in the long run. As we've learned many times.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
"The teams that will give us trouble will be the ones that can defend Wilson effectively."

The best defense against Russ is to keep him on the bench. The Titans looked very capable of that. I know they aren't NFC, but you got to get past them to win it all. They pretty much manhandled Buffalo last night, after having only one practice in the last 2 1/2 weeks!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe the Covid bye was good for the Titans.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Never mind. I just think people get way too worked up about power rankings. Just like I think way too many people act like this team isn't even top 10. They not only are top 5, but they are not even close to how good they can be. I will never understand the fascination with caring so much how a team WINS a game. They are 5-0, who gives a crap how it looks??? We all have our opinions, and they have no impact on the games.
And that's not just homer stuff, they have a LOT of work to do on the defense. But with the guys coming back after the bye, this team should and likely will improve on defense. Every team in the NFL has weaknesses, including the Chiefs, Packers, Steelers, Ravens, Bills etc.
Translation, I don't think they are the best team in football. They have plenty of work to do. But to be sitting at 5-0 going in to the bye??? Yes please...…...

Hawker8989

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":24yr8gwm said:
Never mind. I just think people get way too worked up about power rankings. Just like I think way too many people act like this team isn't even top 10. They not only are top 5, but they are not even close to how good they can be. I will never understand the fascination with caring so much how a team WINS a game. They are 5-0, who gives a crap how it looks??? We all have our opinions, and they have no impact on the games.
And that's not just homer stuff, they have a LOT of work to do on the defense. But with the guys coming back after the bye, this team should and likely will improve on defense. Every team in the NFL has weaknesses, including the Chiefs, Packers, Steelers, Ravens, Bills etc.
Translation, I don't think they are the best team in football. They have plenty of work to do. But to be sitting at 5-0 going in to the bye??? Yes please...…...

Thing is, we've seen this song and dance once too many times. Russ balls out during the regular season. We usually beat a mediocre team in the WC round. Then, we end up facing an elite level team on the road. Pete handcuffs Russell until it's too little too late. And usually our defense crumbles against said superior competition.

Fans , including myself, have very high standards for this franchise. And to not even get back to an NFC title game after 2014 is a failure.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hear you, anything less than NFC Championship is a disappointment imo. But, I choose to enjoy the winning over worrying about what could happen. They're going to lose some games, every team is. But spending all the time assuming the worst? Just not my thing. People can fan however they want.
I am probably exaggerating with my previous comment. People can think they are not top 5 if they want. It's just my own opinion that they are top 5.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
We are the number one team period, but until our defense shuts someone down instead of playing close games...we will be ranked back instead of up. I see what this team can do and so do alot of you. Once we start shutting down offenses with punishing defense people will notice. We have a top 3 team. We just need the defense to play with max effort consistently. The talent is there, but the skill toward their scheme is meh. Im telling you...once our defense clicks...its over for the league. I called bowl before the season. I still see it.