Rapoport: Seahawks Claimed Josh Gordon!

CANADIAN_HAWK

Reaction score
:stirthepot: Low risk.....High reward.

If he works out great new wepond for Russell Wilson and the Offense. We then have another solid WR who is a free agent at end of year and if good we likely resign for a cap friendly deal.

If he doesn't only 1 million in salary and we get a comp pick back in he makes it the whole year and leaves as a free agent.

One more thing.... No one else put a waiver request for Flash Gordon this could be a wake up call and / or motivation , the chip on the shoulder. I believe he balls out because this team and the 12's will rally brhind him and he will play his best ball. I just got that feeling.

Sounds like a good move to me!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2astd213 said:
'Hoping for a comp pick?', I'm not even sure the team is eligible to get one on this deal presuming the rest of the necessary steps.

If the team does acquire a comp pick, JS will look pretty smart in making this waiver claim.

How is Pete reverting to his old ways on this? Sounds like sour grapes to me. All in all Gordon has demonstrated he can be a high level talent at WR, if he's available for the cost of a half season of contract why wouldn't you take a chance on seeing if you make him fit with your team. Risk to reward seems to be worth taking that chance.

Why does each thread meander off course into the perpetual anti-Pete nonsense? The thread is about Gordon and not Carroll.

They are eligible for a comp pick.

A lot of people in this thread are arguing for the added bonus of a potential comp pick. Given that the Pats got him for a contract that wouldn't get a comp pick, he flamed out for them, and 27 teams just passed on him for a contract that wouldn't net a comp pick, I think that regardless of what he does the Hawks getting one for him is wildly unlikely. 27 teams didn't pass on him because they don't think he can play football. :lol:

I added a sidebar about PC and them taking on Gordon, but if you don't like that part just ignore it.

As for sour grapes, nah. I'm glad he's not coming to the 9ers but at the same time I'd rather play the Seahawks without him than play them with him. Both of those things can be (and are) true at the same time. :2thumbs:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
In the last paragraph of your post you point out why this waiver claim roster acquisition was ultimately a good move. It either works out or it doesn't.

How can it aways be a negative for Pete to believe that players can be better than their past?

Washington49er

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1sd1na3y said:
Washington49er":1sd1na3y said:
hawksfansinceday1":1sd1na3y said:
Bad karma lvnginhwktwn....er, "Washington 49er"

Oh c'mon, this from the people who created "Pakaki"
Your join date says November 27, 2018. You wouldn’t know about Papaki unless you were here well, well, well before that.
Congrats on proving me and others right and outing yourself LivinginHawktown. Oops.

Ok Mr Tin foil hat. I guess you've never had anyone join after coming here while not registering.

And people posted on the Websone about the stupid nickname and crap you said about relationships with turtles. But you already knew that because you've been frequenting there for years.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
jammerhawk":12k0ih0u said:
In the last paragraph of your post you point out why this waiver claim roster acquisition was ultimately a good move. It either works out or it doesn't.

How can it aways be a negative for Pete to believe that players can be better than their past?

I didn't say I thought it was a good move, I said I'd rather play the Seahawks without Gordon than with him.

At the same time from the perspective of team building/disruption/development as far as my team goes I'm on the side of the 27 teams who passed on him. That doesn't mean I'm looking forward to my team playing against him or anything, or that it's objectively a bad move.

As for Pete, you said you didn't want this thread to turn into anything criticizing him so I'll just skip that one.

Chawker

Reaction score
It was the right move for the Seahawks.Weather Gordon works out or not,the ball is in his hands.Optimistically speaking we might of just won the superbowl. He'll have to find a new number cus we own his old one,which maybe a good Oman.

:229031_cheers:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Could it be that Gordon's agent told many of the teams that he wouldn't play for them if they claimed him? Maybe he wanted to go to a particular type of team and identified those. Seattle happened to be the first to pick of those teams.

Secondly, the injury designation may have been the reason many passed on him. They just didn't want to take the risk. We all know that PC/JS like to take risks. Hopefully this risk works out for them. It could be a win-win situation for Seahawks and Gordon. If not, it cost them very little.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1s6pvs4i said:
Could it be that Gordon's agent told many of the teams that he wouldn't play for them if they claimed him? Maybe he wanted to go to a particular type of team and identified those. Seattle happened to be the first to pick of those teams.

Secondly, the injury designation may have been the reason many passed on him. They just didn't want to take the risk. We all know that PC/JS like to take risks. Hopefully this risk works out for them. It could be a win-win situation for Seahawks and Gordon. If not, it cost them very little.
^Exactly^....At best, he will help open up the Offense, at worst, it's a lateral move by John & Pete.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":v0fwoao8 said:
I didn't say I thought it was a good move, I said I'd rather play the Seahawks without Gordon than with him.

At the same time from the perspective of team building/disruption/development as far as my team goes I'm on the side of the 27 teams who passed on him.

Implicitly you are saying exactly that by not wanting your team to have to play against Gordon as added to the Hawks.

Just b/c 27 teams passed on Gordon doesn’t mean they are right and the player won’t work out for Seattle in one way or another. History on this player would support your position but history while being a potential indicator of the future is not always an accurate predictor. He may become a problem or not, and the team loses little if he doesn’t work out for the Hawks. In the end Seattle needed to improve it’s talent level at WR and this low risk acquisition will either work or not. One way or another we have differing perspectives on this for different reasons.

Getting more from the receiver depth on the roster seems to be the motivation here. It seems clear the team has redshirted two rookies but other players are now clearly on the bubble.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
low Risk imho but possibly huge gain I’m cool with this move

Popeyejones

Reaction score
jammerhawk":egghe36v said:
Implicitly you are saying exactly that by not wanting your team to have to play against Gordon as added to the Hawks.

I am NOT saying implicitly that I think it's a good move. I've stated quite explicitly that I'm glad my team didn't do it and you're just choosing to ignore that.

I'll explain it one more time and if you don't get it that's fine with me.

I think even at this point in what's left of his career Gordon is probably more talented than the last WR on the Hawks depth chart. For that reason when my team plays the Seahawks a week from Monday I'd rather play them without Gordon than with Gordon. That part is simple, and I've clearly stated it for a third time now.

That's not the question that you're harping on, though. The question that you're harping on is if I think it's a good move to bring him onto a team or not. My answer for that is different because the question is different, and the answer for it involves things that extend beyond just talent on a random Monday night.

Time is a finite resource, particularly during the season. From a long-term team building perspective the time that has to go into getting Gordon up to speed is time that has be stolen from somewhere else. The reps that go to him are reps that have to be taken from other people. Being on top of his immaturity and lack of buy in (which got him booted from New England) is attention that has to be from taken from somewhere else. Team chemistry can be a fragile thing and bringing in guys who don't fully buy in to take reps from guys that are already part of the team is also a risk. All of this is even more of a risk because it has been seven years since Gordon has even been able to make it through a season without falling off the rails again.

I don't really see what's complicated about this. I can BOTH think the guy is talented and not want to play against him AND not think signing him is an idea I'd be excited about if my team did it. To me that's simple. I don't know what to tell you.

Just b/c 27 teams passed on Gordon doesn’t mean they are right and the player won’t work out for Seattle in one way or another.

31 teams didn't put in claims for Gordon, not 27.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... sh-gordon/

I never claimed that it won't work out for Seattle and Gordon. How would I know that either way?

History on this player would support your position but history while being a potential indicator of the future is not always an accurate predictor.

I never claimed otherwise.

He may become a problem or not, and the team loses little if he doesn’t work out for the Hawks. In the end Seattle needed to improve it’s talent level at WR and this low risk acquisition will either work or not.

I -- like the GMs of 31 NFL teams -- think the risks are a greater than the rewards. I also think fans tend to take a Madden approach to bringing guys in: they think "low risk" just means salary cap, and they leave out time, trust and locker room dynamics. For Gordon the salary part is trivial and it's all that other stuff that's mattering to GMs across the league.

One way or another we have differing perspectives on this for different reasons.

Fully agreed.

Getting more from the receiver depth on the roster seems to be the motivation here. It seems clear the team has redshirted two rookies but other players are now clearly on the bubble.

Agreed.

To be clear I'm NOT rooting against Gordon or ability to become a contributor to an NFL team at this point in his career. I am, however, glad it's not my team that's spending time and resources on betting he will. (not that I ever thought for a second that KS would do that w/ Gordon -- it was obvious the 9ers hadn't put in a claim for a ton of reasons).

That doesn't mean I'm right, though. Like everyone else I'm wrong all the time. Heck, in the NFL forum before the season I was predicting the 9ers to go 8-8, and at this point I don't think they're going to finish the year at 0-8 and make my prediction right. :lol:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
In case you missed it:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/279 ... on-waivers

"Gordon, 28, had been playing through a left knee injury and was knocked out of the Patriots' victory over the New York Giants on Oct. 10 when he injured the knee while attempting to make a tackle after a New England fumble.

The Patriots used the minor designation for his placement on injured reserve, signifying a lesser injury. That meant the team had to release Gordon upon his return to health."

As I read that, they either used the 'minor' designation because they intended to release him anyway, or they did it because they assumed he would clear waivers with his history.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2mqsxdbw said:
In case you missed it:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/279 ... on-waivers

"Gordon, 28, had been playing through a left knee injury and was knocked out of the Patriots' victory over the New York Giants on Oct. 10 when he injured the knee while attempting to make a tackle after a New England fumble.

The Patriots used the minor designation for his placement on injured reserve, signifying a lesser injury. That meant the team had to release Gordon upon his return to health."

As I read that, they either used the 'minor' designation because they intended to release him anyway, or they did it because they assumed he would clear waivers with his history.

It means they could cut him without an injury settlement. If they wanted to keep him they could have just used short term IR.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Washington49er":11g39hxu said:
Sports Hernia":11g39hxu said:
Washington49er":11g39hxu said:
hawksfansinceday1":11g39hxu said:
Bad karma lvnginhwktwn....er, "Washington 49er"

Oh c'mon, this from the people who created "Pakaki"
Your join date says November 27, 2018. You wouldn’t know about Papaki unless you were here well, well, well before that.
Congrats on proving me and others right and outing yourself LivinginHawktown. Oops.

Ok Mr Tin foil hat. I guess you've never had anyone join after coming here while not registering.

And people posted on the Websone about the stupid nickname and crap you said about relationships with turtles. But you already knew that because you've been frequenting there for years.
LOL, Trollsplaining epic fail. Give it up, you exposed yourself. You got caught in your lie.

Accept it, and admit it.

I’ve never posted there, And never will on the craphole known as the denial zone, but read it for entertainment value.
I don't troll other teams forums, I don’t need attention that badly... apparently you do though.

Keep on exposing yourself troglodyte.

Mick063

Reaction score
The Patriots opened up a WR slot for the activation of first round pick N' Keal Harry. He started the season on injured reserve. They probably made the decision to release Gordon several weeks ago contingent on when Harry became healthy enough to activate. The acquisition of Mohamed Sanu all but sealed Gordon's fate. It really is that simple.

The Patriots feel they have an upgrade at the position for both the long and short term. It doesn't necessarily mean that Gordon isn't a good football player or that he isn't a good teammate.

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
"Ecstatic" is the word I am hearing to describe Gordon's feelings about signing with Seattle.

I am cautiously, optimistically, hoping for the best.............pumped.

PackerNation

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":11xxx12n said:
Josh Gordon should be treated as a luxury and someone the franchise can never rely upon.

It is unfortunate, but if you think Josh Gordon will NOW be clean on his Nth+1 chance then you are mistaken.

This.

A unique talent but a Locker room cancer. He'll be out of the NFL next year and a footnote in Seahawk history.

sutz

Reaction score
PackerNation":2vyc5g6b said:
fridayfrenzy":2vyc5g6b said:
Josh Gordon should be treated as a luxury and someone the franchise can never rely upon.

It is unfortunate, but if you think Josh Gordon will NOW be clean on his Nth+1 chance then you are mistaken.

This.

A unique talent but a Locker room cancer. He'll be out of the NFL next year and a footnote in Seahawk history.
As I've heard, he's not a locker roome cancer, just a pot head who can't stay clean.

Which begs the question, why sign him in a state with legal weed? :34853_doh:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
How is he a locker room cancer? Never heard that. Do you have an example?