Ray Rice Video - punching his gf

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think Roger is going to have top fall on his sword. Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh should do the same.

Cartire

Reaction score
ivotuk":2lhtlqbg said:
I think Roger is going to have top fall on his sword. Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh should do the same.

Nah, I dont think John should have to resign over this. In reality, its not his call anyway. Ozzie, yes. Their owner, yes.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
I think the DA is screwed, personally. No jail? Freaking crazy talk.

Cartire

Reaction score
Laloosh":33lfweyv said:
I think the DA is screwed, personally. No jail? Freaking crazy talk.

Yea, it will be interesting to see what comes from that or if they try to play the waiting game until public interest has subsided. And then just move on from it with no repercussions.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The DA may have been influenced by Rices wife too. Too often the victim will literally beg the DA not to press charges and Wil swear up and down that they started it. Victims will also threaten to sabotage the DAs case, leaving them little option.

The laws aren't always set up for something like this, and a "first offense" won't have the pEnalties to make it worth taking a risky case to court.

As much as we may hate something like this, the options for the DA aren't cut and dried. Rice also could have hired a slick lawyer that far out classes the abilities of a DA. Especially where it comes to paying for evidence and expert witnesses. State Attorney's have a very limited budget.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
ivotuk":31drbgrp said:
The DA may have been influenced by Rices wife too. Too often the victim will literally beg the DA not to press charges and Wil swear up and down that they started it. Victims will also threaten to sabotage the DAs case, leaving them little option.

The laws aren't always set up for something like this, and a "first offense" won't have the pEnalties to make it worth taking a risky case to court.

As much as we may hate something like this, the options for the DA aren't cut and dried. Rice also could have hired a slick lawyer that far out classes the abilities of a DA. Especially where it comes to paying for evidence and expert witnesses. State Attorney's have a very limited budget.

He spit in her face twice and punched her twice. With that video I'd be comfortable arguing that case with zero legal knowledge.

Cartire

Reaction score
ivotuk":2od9ai62 said:

Yeah, thats just not true. The DA doesnt need her at all. In fact, in a lot of cases of domestic violence, the victims testimony isnt even used because of conflicting issues.

I mean, theres a video. Thats blatant. No slick lawyer is going to convince a Jury that what they just watched didnt really happen the way they think it did.

This is purely corruption or incompetence. Neither is acceptable.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Phteven":2tr8r1zw said:
This has come up before, but what really pisses me off all over again is that we all KNEW he did this. We didn't need to see the video. The guy admitted it. I'm glad that he was released, but that was the right thing to do BEFORE this video became public.

It's pathetic that so many people can ignore anything if they don't see it firsthand. I mean, what's different between yesterday and today? Nothing. He's still a jackhole who should have been ejected months ago when this became public.

See a lot of people saying this and to some degree, you're right. On the other hand, did you see how the Ravens PR tried to spin this? How his lawyers made it look like or "hypothetically" suggest his wife was the aggressor? Those live tweets of his wife apologizing from the Ravens? After all that, some people started giving him the benefit of the doubt and after reading the Ravens board, you can see that many did want to wait for further evidence before wanting him gone and now that evidence has come. Yes he did give a detailed description of what happened, and it's just pathetic on the NFL's part and the Ravens PR for how they handled this by writing that essay and those tweets to try and paint a different picture. It's clear now from the video she pretty much had nothing to do with forcing him to use violence. Obviously people are sensationalized with the video, but I'm more disgusted on how the Ravens,etc. tried to make this look and now the truth is all coming out.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Cartire":zidjvnaz said:
ivotuk":zidjvnaz said:

Yeah, thats just not true. The DA doesnt need her at all. In fact, in a lot of cases of domestic violence, the victims testimony isnt even used because of conflicting issues.

I mean, theres a video. Thats blatant. No slick lawyer is going to convince a Jury that what they just watched didnt really happen the way they think it did.

This is purely corruption or incompetence. Neither is acceptable.

Sorry Cartier but it's not that easy. ThaT video isn't that clear, and a jury could be swayed by testimony from the wife that Rice has always been the best guy, has never done anything like this before, that she feels she antagonize him all night and that he was drunk.

Just look at all the supposed slam dunk cases in the past that have turned out not guilty. The burden is beYond a reaSonable doubt.

And a very good lawyer with resources can twist a case, video evidence and testimony.

In fact, a good lawyer would get thaT video evidence thrown out because it was on the internet and would prejudice any prospective jury pool.

Cartire

Reaction score
ivotuk":10qjp19m said:
Sorry Cartier but it's not that easy. ThaT video isn't that clear, and a jury could be swayed by testimony from the wife that Rice has always been the best guy, has never done anything like this before, that she feels she antagonize him all night and that he was drunk.

Just look at all the supposed slam dunk cases in the past that have turned out not guilty. The burden is beYond a reaSonable doubt.

And a very good lawyer with resources can twist a case, video evidence and testimony.

In fact, a good lawyer would get thaT video evidence thrown out because it was on the internet and would prejudice any prospective jury pool.

Ha, dude. Cmon, you cant believe what you are actually saying. I think youve been influenced by to much Law & Order.

First, I highly doubt a judge would emphasize reasonable doubt in this case. You would be hard pressed to cite a precedent for it.

Second, no lawyer is putting the victim on the stand to defend the abuser. Not because of morality, but because the prosecutor could easily dismiss the credibility of the witness because of the conflict of interest. Its the exact same reason that a DA doesnt need the women to press charges. Even if she doesnt want to, the DA still can because the women is deemed unable to give an impartial answer. We dont know if shes afraid, if shes looking out for them, or what.

Third, theres no possible way the video would get thrown out. Doesnt matter how good the lawyer is. Unless the video can be proven tampered, the video would not be removed because of a juries knowledge of it. A jury is decided by how much they know about the case, not which evidence they have seen or havent. I dont know where you got that idea. No judge would throw out video evidence of the crime taking place. You must be drunk to have said that.

Oh and a quick edit addition: No jury would have even had seen the video on the internet if charges were placed because the video came out today, way after a plea deal was already struck.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I am just as disgusted as all of you guys.

I am going to make a stand! I am going to quit watching! Who is with me? Lets go! Anyone?

Cartire

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":9dag23fd said:
I am just as disgusted as all of you guys.

I am going to make a stand! I am going to quit watching! Who is with me? Lets go! Anyone?

Ill stop watching the Ravens. But I think I was doing that regardless.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":338loy39 said:
kearly":338loy39 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":338loy39 said:
And Kearly, I love your work and perspective, but if you think this is the first time that Twitter outrage has led to real-world activism, you aren't following anyone from Ferguson or Gaza.

I'm guessing we would disagree pretty strongly on those two issues. But not here.

The twitter outrage machine proved useful in getting rid of the Clippers owner though. I hated the hypocritical 'thought police' logic behind the outrage, but when I learned about Sterling's past history I came to feel that justice was served. Ultimately, the final result was good, even if the way it happened was somewhat warped. The outrage machine played an instrumental role in that.
Exactly. And the point is, what actually happens often differs greatly from the story of the mainstream media and those who have a vested (read: monetary) interest. The confusion in this NFL-Ravens-Rice scenario is a perfect example.

We are seeing traditional power structures challenged by video evidence and everyday people sharing information. Traditional power holders are running scared – in various cases, either trying to deny video evidence exists or going to great lengths to deny its admissibility.

The impact of Twitter today mirrors what TV was in the mid 1950s. The civil rights movement in Tennessee and Alabama did not have national support until images of people being berated with firehoses and bitten by dogs were sent out to the world.

Then in the '60s, televised images of what was actually going on in Vietnam were shown to everyday people. The pictures varied greatly from the official reports. People became outraged. They demanded change. Since then, traditional power structures have taken over TV. Fake reality brings in more advertising dollars than bloody, corrupt reality.

Twitter allows for transfer of information from person-to-person and person-to-world, while sidestepping the filtration process of government and corporate interests. Tweets still warrant fact-checking but the impact is that citizens, who otherwise would not know the severity of unsettling events, can suddenly realize the seriousness of the issue and the need for change. Seeing Ray Rice knock out his fiancee is much more meaningful than all the sound bites and blurbs from Ravens officials or Roger Goodell's office, both of whom skewed the story to maximize their benefit.

Our world is in flux. The immediacy and breadth of access to information means that anyone can be a citizen journalist. We're still new at this. Anyone can shed light on events of the world, especially the evils, which seek to exist in darkness.

This is why net neutrality is a HUGE issue right now. Control of information is at our fingertips, and the bigwigs want to keep it at arms' length. The same way the NFL would rather you not see Ray Rice beat a woman unconscious.
REALLY good analysis man. We have been stuck in Orwell's 1984 since Vietnam what with the TV news media not being allowed to show the true horrors of war in any of the Middle East "conflicts" on our TV sets. The power brokers watched those type of images cost LBJ his presidency and they have never allowed it since. They then followed that up with fun stuff like "Patriot Act" etc. Twitter and the instant sharing of images, video and information gives me hope that we will break out of the Orwellian world we have been in the last 30+ years.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Cartire":3ld9rw0c said:
Hasselbeck":3ld9rw0c said:
Cartire":3ld9rw0c said:
I have an oppisite view of this. She needs to be called out as well when it comes to her decision to both support him, apologize, and remain with him. I understand some women do it out of fear. Some are broken and think they really are in the wrong, and some endure it so they can stay with the money. But regardless of any of those reasons, these women arent going to change their ways if we dont call it out. We cant constantly enable them by "understanding" their decision. we can be critical of the choices they make as well*.

*Quick note: I dont mean the decisions to lead up to being abused. I mean the decisions to remain with the abuser. So please everyone, dont go all Jezebel on me.

You don't have an inkling how abusive relationships go. Real easy to say she should just "call him out" and leave .. you, myself and everyone else has no idea what else has gone on in their relationship.. but I'd be very very surprised if this was the first time he's ever physically abused her.

Blaming the woman for any of this is absurd.

Im not blaming her for the incident. Im irritated about the way she handled the situation afterward. I mean, going into a Ravens press conference and apologizing for her role in it, while simultaneously, her then husband does not apologize.

I find it hard to not be skeptical of the motives. And even if she truly meant it, then maybe she needs these harsh words as a wake up call.

Its easy to say she should have left him or to assume her MO for trying to cover up his horrendous act is money driven. The truth that it is complicated just as Invotuk and Hasselbeck says. Her behavior is driven by perspectives on a relationship that most have no insight to. They obviously had a long passionate and dysfunctional relationship. Her decision to marry him and to cover up is as likely to stem from ownership of this dysfunctional and embarrassing relationship as much as it is about money.
Funny thing is the victim of such violence tend to blame themselves more so than the perpetrator.
It's unfortunate that some of us say we don't blame victim and yet continue to point out her faults in successive posts.