RB Carson re-signed by Seattle (2y, 14.625m)

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1nseuq5h said:
Carson got his money but not near what most of you thought. This is a bargain and now hopefully he will turn another 1000 season. If not...combine penny to get 1000 and you guys will ssssshhhh on penny being a bust.

I do wonder if he got a larger offer elsewhere but stayed due to Russell's urging and the Seahawks being the better team out of his suitors. His market didn't come in like expected, so he either left money on the table to come back or the league just isn't looking to spend on a back who doesn't specialize in the passing game.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":jjpendoi said:
Carson got his money but not near what most of you thought. This is a bargain and now hopefully he will turn another 1000 season. If not...combine penny to get 1000 and you guys will ssssshhhh on penny being a bust.

Oh, wake up and smell the coffee, James!

Penny was a bust after his first preseason game vs Indianapolis :sarcasm_off:

He could go for 3 consecutive 1600+ all purpose yards/15+ TD seasons and he would still be a bust according to .net :sarcasm_off:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Carson needed to be re-signed.

Great move by Seattle.

Going into the season with Penny, Dallas, Homer and whoever was worrisome.

Carson is a good guy, I’m glad he got paid. He more than deserves a raise.

Great move by Pete Carroll!

massari

Reaction score
2021 $2,500,000 cap hit

2022 $6,425,000

2023 $1,500,000

great signing

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":cdtdj1rj said:
This might have saved the season. I thought Carson was gone.

There was zero chance I expected us to make the playoffs with some of the RBs I saw being discussed.

But with Carson vs without this team was Day vs Night. Carson makes us so much better.

We actually have a puncher's chance at the playoffs now.

One more year to convince Wilson to stay. Completely possible if Pete allows this offense to reach the potential it has.

We almost have to get Dunlap, a great corner, or lose Norton though.

If we can pull this off the whole season moves from darkness to hope.

Lose norton i would agree with but our defense turned around 2nd half. Yeah lesser opponents but it's still nfl.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":37nj6nql said:
jamescasey1124":37nj6nql said:

He could go for 3 consecutive 1600+ all purpose yards/15+ TD seasons and he would still be a bust according to .net :sarcasm_off:

Oh you please wake up and just look at his limited production!!!

Penny has never been a bust. Just never held the number one according to pete. Before you respond please see his stats vs carries given. He has been solid.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN/status/1373268841569128453[/tweet]

also as explained by John P. Gilbert ................
2021: $2.5M cap hit ($1M base salary + $1.5M pro rated portion of signing bonus)
2022: $6.45M* cap hit ($4.5M base salary + $1.5M pro rated portion of signing bonus + $450k in per game roster bonuses)
2023: $1.5M* dead cap hit (final portion of pro rated signing bonus that will be recognized against the cap after the contract voids after the 2022 season).

For those wondering what the * means, that’s to account for the $1.4M in incentives. Whatever of those incentives Carson reaches in 2021 will count against the cap in 2022, and whichever of those incentives he reaches in 2022 will count against the cap in 2023.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/3/20/22 ... ase-salary

.......... I concur with Gilbert's expectation for Carson to thrive in Shane Waldron's new offensive system. Great fit!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Wow, I am sure happy he chose to stay. I was thinking he would get more than that. I'm betting he did too but the market never materialized for him. This is great news for the Seahawks. He is cearly their best RB and Fournette was a huge no thank you for me.

Welcome back Carson!!!!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Carson is a hard runner and that is what makes him great but that is also what prevents him from being available all season b/c he’s usually so nicked up that he become less effective towards the end of the season. I like this this re- signing but hope his work can be marshalled better so he isn’t used up for the year by the time the playoffs arrive.

The deal is very team friendly. Carson was widely regarded as the best RB available in FA and is a good team fit. Hope he can reach all his incentives. :2thumbs:

Interesting that RW was encouraging him to sign with the team again.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":uzxcgr0p said:
Thepeelsessions":uzxcgr0p said:
jamescasey1124":uzxcgr0p said:

Oh you please wake up and just look at his limited production!!!

Penny has never been a bust. Just never held the number one according to pete. Before you respond please see his stats vs carries given. He has been solid.

I'm one of the few who want to see more of Penny. I know what he's done when healthy. It's hard not to see him thriving in the new scheme Waldron will bring, if it's the scheme we're expecting.

balakoth

Reaction score
Imagine people here wanting to trade Penny.. for literally nothing.. while still keeping Travis Friggen Homer

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
balakoth":ju974szh said:
Imagine people here wanting to trade Penny.. for literally nothing.. while still keeping Travis Friggen Homer

Crazy, because some people here would love for that to happen.

xray

Reaction score
He's got to able to play 100% on game day all year long .IMO

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I thought he was gone for sure . This is huge and great resign got him at a decent price to . Keeping Carson was the smart move we have a legit shot now to make a run at the Division. Still need a pass rusher but i'm sure John will find an answer for that . I'm actually feeling good about our chances this season.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
xray":cuoqeguu said:
He's got to able to play 100% on game day all year long .IMO

I'm sorry but that's just idiotic RB's take a pounding in the NFL it's not realistic to think they will start 16 games year in and year out it does not work that way.

Fade

Reaction score
massari":ycncby6j said:
2021 $2,500,000 cap hit

2022 $6,425,000

2023 $1,500,000

great signing

Now that we have the numbers, I have to give this signing an A+.

They leveraged and moved most of the risk to 2022 (with an assist by the voidable year), when the cap is going to jump up $35M or so. So even if Carson is an injury riddled mess in '21 all it will cost them is $2.5M this year and $3M dead money next year, still saving $3.425M in 2022.

Great job Seahawks.

mrblitz

Reaction score
With Scarborough in the mix, they should be able to get great production out of this group (Carson, Penny, Collins, Scarborough)...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He is a huge part of this team. He makes the team better. Great deal and a low cap # is 2020.
Damn good job, yet again by the front office.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Mike Davis has just signed for the Falcons. 2 year 5.5m deal 3m guaranteed. That looks better value to me in all honesty.