Remember when the Rams were "unstoppable"?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
sdog1981":1ued7e2p said:
94Smith":1ued7e2p said:
RolandDeschain":1ued7e2p said:
They're unstoppable from preventing drafting in the top half of the draft next April, at this rate.

I think they traded that pick away?

They traded it to Jacksonville.

The Rams were exposed on Monday Night in Chicago on December 9th, 2018. Before that game, Mc-Genius was 22-6 after that game they have been 10-8.

They screwed it up, they should have gone the full 5 seasons with Goff before they gave him a deal, they should have cut Gurly and took the cap hit once they found out he had a serious injury. They blew it, pure and simple.
Agree 100%. And unspoken in your post is that if Goff didn't play up to at least top 10-12 QBs in the league that he should've not been re-signed.

@Pehawk said nearly 2 years ago that was the strategy the Rams should employ and he was right. (@Tical was saying that about Russ too so not everyone's a genius. LOL) Glad the Rams didn't do it though cuz I think they're really screwed for about the next 3-4 years til they get through the contracts and then they appear to also have to find a QB that doesn't suck as well. The only thing that can save their next few years is an amazing and HEALTHY o-line to keep nearly all pressure off Goff and a stud RB to do so as well. .

So do you guys think they give Ramsey a contract or eat the 1st rounder for a half season rental?

chris98251

Reaction score
Rams loaded up on F.A. guys and had guys coming up on paydays, a RB that had a knee issue which they did replace this last draft but we all saw the writing on the wall and said so last season, they can't pay everyone and were going for broke to buy a Championship. They were getting figured out last year, we were able to play toe to toe with them, Belichek simply took it a step farther and now everyone knows if they have the personal can wreck havoc with their offense.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":2kgigkew said:
94Smith":2kgigkew said:
RolandDeschain":2kgigkew said:
They're unstoppable from preventing drafting in the top half of the draft next April, at this rate.

I think they traded that pick away?

They traded it to Jacksonville.

The Rams were exposed on Monday Night in Chicago on December 9th, 2018. Before that game, Mc-Genius was 22-6 after that game they have been 10-8.

They screwed it up, they should have gone the full 5 seasons with Goff before they gave him a deal, they should have cut Gurly and took the cap hit once they found out he had a serious injury. They blew it, pure and simple.
I agree and then the SB BB put the nail in their coffin..
I feel bad for Red Alice but she got to enjoy a couple of seasons at least.
Funny how all the Rams fans totally dissapeared besides RA and she
just drops in for a quick piss :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":313f9az1 said:
I said it on a different thread and I'll say it again here, you give defensive coordinators and entire off-season to study film and figure out ways to stop an offense and they're going to come up with solutions to at least slow it down significantly. You're going to see it with the Ravens next year in my opinion. It isn't just Belichick it's all of them though he is obviously the best at it.

I think that's true for some offenses and not others.

McVay's offense, like Chip Kelly's offense, dominated and then disappeared because it's one dimensional -- if you can stop what they do they don't have counter punches and other things they do.

That the Rams basically spent all of last year running out of the same formation should have signaled that they might be a flash in the pan.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
What changed so much for this team this year? Isn't it pretty much the same team from last year? Do they have a lot of injuries? I'm actually kind of surprised to see them drop off this badly. But anything can happen year to year. Teams change and strategies change too on how to face them. Goff does not look as good. But are their injuries on the offensive line or the WR corps? I haven't followed them very extensively. I do see that they look less good and less explosive from when I have watched them.

sdog1981

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3t3hko8k said:
What changed so much for this team this year? Isn't it pretty much the same team from last year? Do they have a lot of injuries? I'm actually kind of surprised to see them drop off this badly. But anything can happen year to year. Teams change and strategies change too on how to face them. Goff does not look as good. But are their injuries on the offensive line or the WR corps? I haven't followed them very extensively. I do see that they look less good and less explosive from when I have watched them.

The Rams are one of the teams with the fewest players on IR in the NFL. They did just lose their starting RT a week ago so they have now played two games without Havenstein.

Like all good teams, they lost some of their depth players in free agency. They did lose their starting FS and RG in free agency.

They lost Talib after week 5.

They are also turning the ball over like crazy. They are -5 on the season so far, they were +11 last season, that is a huge swing.

The problem has really been how the NFL has defended them and put it on tape for everyone to see. Now it is time for the Rams to adjust to the adjustment.

Maulbert

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":atiecsxg said:

Gurley has arthritis. He will never be the same again. Without a serious threat to run, teams are able to force Goff to throw it, and he is not the kind of guy to carry a team. He needs good pieces to be good, he doesn't elevate the talent around him, and it shows.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
sdog1981":2etib4zy said:
SanDiego49er":2etib4zy said:

The Rams are one of the teams with the fewest players on IR in the NFL. They did just lose their starting RT a week ago so they have now played two games without Havenstein.

Like all good teams, they lost some of their depth players in free agency. They did lose their starting FS and RG in free agency.

They lost Talib after week 5.

They are also turning the ball over like crazy. They are -5 on the season so far, they were +11 last season, that is a huge swing.

The problem has really been how the NFL has defended them and put it on tape for everyone to see. Now it is time for the Rams to adjust to the adjustment.

Yeah I think that is a lot of it. Also the RB Gurley has some degenerative issue in his knee apparently. He does not look the same to me. He is slower and less strong. Their offense was predicated on him running the ball really well and then setting up the pass when teams load up to stuff the run. They can't do that as well this year. So teams drop more into coverage or pass rush more and blitz more. This is making the passing game much more difficult for them. They are way less explosive than they were last year on offense.

On defense they double and triple team Aaron Donald on every play. That is somewhat neutralizing him and his enormous impact. He still has an impact drawing so many blockers. But his sacks and tackles for a loss and disruption of the backfield are way down. No fault of his own really. Just all the attention that has come his way. But it has effected their overall team and performance.

xray

Reaction score
Belichick exposed the Lambs to the league last SB ; and it shows .

getnasty

Reaction score
Something else is going on behind the scenes with Gurley, it's like Mvcay wants him to be gone but doesn't have the balls to do it or something. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to his usage. With that said the biggest problem is there OL is a dumpster fire, coulple that with Mcvey being highly overrated as a Head Coach there you have it.

chris98251

Reaction score
getnasty":1mmlh3f2 said:
Something else is going on behind the scenes with Gurley, it's like Mvcay wants him to be gone but doesn't have the balls to do it or something. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to his usage. With that said the biggest problem is there OL is a dumpster fire, coulple that with Mcvey being highly overrated as a Head Coach there you have it.

Wonder if it ahs to do with Guaranteed money and trying to get anything they can from him, sometimes the price to pay them to leave is better then the roster spot they will take up.

sdog1981

Reaction score
chris98251":2x1bi40e said:
getnasty":2x1bi40e said:

Wonder if it ahs to do with Guaranteed money and trying to get anything they can from him, sometimes the price to pay them to leave is better then the roster spot they will take up.

If they cut him this season then they will have to carry 34.8 million. If they cut him on 1 March 2021 then it will only be 8 million in dead money with 28 million in savings. Unless he looks like the Gurly of old he will be cut after the 2020 season.

chris98251

Reaction score
sdog1981":3cpe0m95 said:
chris98251":3cpe0m95 said:
getnasty":3cpe0m95 said:

If they cut him this season then they will have to carry 34.8 million. If they cut him on 1 March 2021 then it will only be 8 million in dead money with 28 million in savings. Unless he looks like the Gurly of old he will be cut after the 2020 season.

So now he's a carry due to contract and try to get something out of him.

sdog1981

Reaction score
chris98251":1h52r5qy said:
So now he's a carry due to contract and try to get something out of him.

At this point, that is all they can really do and they are in a similar situation with Goff. So it looks like they will be in full-blown rebuild mode for the new stadium and decade.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
When Kronke's shiny new palace is half empty next year because LA only attends the games of winners, McVay and Snead will be gone after the season.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
This seemingly destroys the theory that you just need to dump Carroll and Wilson (for contract cost). Then get an innovative young coach like McVay with an insane offense system and you can install anyone in there.

Not only could the Rams not do it with the young players they have, they put themselves in cap hell with two players that aren't getting it done this year.

It's possible that the Seahawks can find a better coach than Carroll and draft a QB that brings what Wilson does for a small price, but it's really unlikely. I'm glad that old dude is here, even with the warts he has, and that Wilson got paid. A 9-2 team trying to figure out their defense is much more likely better than making enormous changes and hoping it is magic.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think losing a couple of guys on the o-line hurt them along with teams figuring them out. Honestly the way they were going last year with so many young stars and a young HC, I really thought the Hawks were destined to content for the wild card the next few years. Things sure changed.

Whatever the Bears showed on slowing them down that the Patriots also used, obviously the Cowboys did not get the memo in the playoff game

sdog1981

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":7hagpi44 said:
I think losing a couple of guys on the o-line hurt them along with teams figuring them out. Honestly the way they were going last year with so many young stars and a young HC, I really thought the Hawks were destined to content for the wild card the next few years. Things sure changed.

Whatever the Bears showed on slowing them down that the Patriots also used, obviously the Cowboys did not get the memo in the playoff game

They were not loaded with young stars in 2018.

Gurly had been with the team since 2015 and was almost 1000 carries into his NFL career.

Brandin Cooks was on his third team in his 5th season.

Robert Woods was in his 6th season.

Latest posts