Report: Wilson willing to rework deal to create cap space fo

evergreen

Reaction score
Ok. I need to go delete the bad stuff I just wrote about him.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Reworking his contract again and people will still complain about how greedy he is.

Tical21

Reaction score
First of all, they don't need permission. If the Seahawks wanted to convert his salary to bonus to clear cap, they could do it without his permission.

Second of all, the only reason to not do it is that you don't want to commit long-term to him. If you do it, his guarantees in 2022 and 2023 get significantly higher, and you could no longer part ways with him.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the fact that this wasn't done already strongly suggests the team wants to remain open to a parting of ways after the season.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2uv2m8ix said:
Reworking his contract again and people will still complain about how greedy he is.

Of course they will, I don't even need to read Tical post to know he already has. That said the only reason not to do it if they do that would raise the tag number on him should they have to tag him, it would give Wilson more leverage. Which has been pointed out by most of the experts. That said the fact he offered still means alot not that they needed it, but given the off season I doubt they would do it without his okay and he gave it. AND if they do, this would be his 3rd or 4th time doing it.

getnasty

Reaction score
Let's not act like he's giving up his own money to make the team better.

ducks41468

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":30qib2c3 said:

As expected, see the posts immediately below yours. At least some of the posters do admit that they just irrationally hate the guy and want him gone regardless of his impact on the team.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I think this is great news.
Hopefully it all works out and we get to keep both players as well as a happy Russell.

massari

Reaction score
ducks41468":3ot90jar said:
pittpnthrs":3ot90jar said:

As expected, see the posts immediately below yours. At least some of the posters do admit that they just irrationally hate the guy and want him gone regardless of his impact on the team.
Well they are right. Restructuring doesn't mean he's taking a pay cut.

ducks41468

Reaction score
massari":qqt4oy8w said:
ducks41468":qqt4oy8w said:
pittpnthrs":qqt4oy8w said:

So Russ has to take a pay cut (not just restructure, which is insufficient to placate the rabble) to make room for everyone else on the team, but Adams, for example, is well within his right to demand as much money as possible. Right.

Russ must throw for at least 55 touchdowns, fewer than 2 interceptions, all while making less than 2m a year. Only then will I, the all-powerful basement dweller, be satisfied! Also, no religious stuff either, because that makes him fake. But also no crime stuff because that makes him a bit too real for me. And no hobbies outside of sports, because that means he's not focused! But also he has to have hobbies, because otherwise he's just a robot. But also not too much volunteer stuff, because then he's only doing it for publicity. But also he has to be active in the community or else he's a criminal or something. And on and on.

toffee

Reaction score
Tical21":1ngxg55c said:
First of all, they don't need permission. If the Seahawks wanted to convert his salary to bonus to clear cap, they could do it without his permission.

Second of all, the only reason to not do it is that you don't want to commit long-term to him. If you do it, his guarantees in 2022 and 2023 get significantly higher, and you could no longer part ways with him.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the fact that this wasn't done already strongly suggests the team wants to remain open to a parting of ways after the season.
That's what Pete said in one of his presser that Hawks do not need permission.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

flv

Reaction score
getnasty":24u7q3ai said:
Let's not act like he's giving up his own money to make the team better.
Precisely. The team can convert salary to bonus to manipulate cap hits by delaying the accounting. Wilson wouldn't be taking a pay cut. He wouldn't even be involved.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
ducks41468":3g5l5oks said:
massari":3g5l5oks said:
ducks41468":3g5l5oks said:
pittpnthrs":3g5l5oks said:

So Russ has to take a pay cut (not just restructure, which is insufficient to placate the rabble) to make room for everyone else on the team, but Adams, for example, is well within his right to demand as much money as possible. Right.

Russ must throw for at least 55 touchdowns, fewer than 2 interceptions, all while making less than 2m a year. Only then will I, the all-powerful basement dweller, be satisfied! Also, no religious stuff either, because that makes him fake. But also no crime stuff because that makes him a bit too real for me. And no hobbies outside of sports, because that means he's not focused! But also he has to have hobbies, because otherwise he's just a robot. But also not too much volunteer stuff, because then he's only doing it for publicity. But also he has to be active in the community or else he's a criminal or something. And on and on.

Naw - I don't think it's actually that complicated. Russ made a bunch of noise after the superbowl. Got it. Wanted things his way. Got some of it. Got it. Both sides are setting up for a divorce after this season from all the indicators. Got it.

When he ran out of ways to get things done, now he's offering to restructure.

I think it's pretty easy: Russ - stop working the press for whatever agenda you've got this year. Sling the rock. Make your numbers, and we'll see how things go after the end of the season - that's certainly the way he seems to be playing it.

And, dude, just stop being so Fing weird all the time. We don't want to follow your off-field crap - so stop making us!

flv

Reaction score
Pushing the 2021 cap hit back would obviously make the cap hit numbers bigger in future years. No doubt there will be fans saying the Seahawks couldn't trade Wilson in 2022 because of the larger dead money figure.

With only 2 future years on Wilson's contract the Seahawks can only push back 66.666% of any 2021 salary converted to bonus. No doubt they would like 2 more years on Wilson's contract so they could push back 80% of 2021 salary converted to bonus. It will be interesting to see if Wilson does extend his contract, the team simply add bogus voidable years, or whether the team sticks with the less optimal current 3 years.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
ducks41468":1a58zi3k said:
massari":1a58zi3k said:
ducks41468":1a58zi3k said:
pittpnthrs":1a58zi3k said:

Well if he played like that then we wouldn’t need to pay high prices for anyone else. But I’m sure the online would still be blamed for his 1 pick. Lol.

Since Seattle could have done that he’s throwing it out there for the media so he looks better. That’s all it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fanatics

Reaction score
After this last offseason, I would think this would be a plan on getting some of the years on his contract voidable and/or removing the possibility of Franchise Tax.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The cap hit for bonuses can be spread over the life of the contract regardless of when the money is actually paid. I'm highly skeptical that the same people genuinely misunderstand this concept every go around given how often this occurs.

Reworking deals for current cap space can be good for players for two reasons; they can get actual cash faster and they can have more guaranteed down the road. Neither of those really affects Wilson in this situation but there's still no downside to him for having base salary converted to a bonus.

In Wilson's case, turning his base salary this season into a bonus accounted for over three seasons would reduce the cap hit this season by $12.6m and increase the cap hit in the next two seasons by $6.3m. That's way too all-in for my tastes on a single year and having $43m and $46m cap tied up in one player over the next two seasons would make it increasingly difficult to build a good team around him.

Chapow

Reaction score
ddores":27oohpco said:
And, dude, just stop being so Fing weird all the time. We don't want to follow your off-field crap - so stop making us!

Nobody is making you follow his off field crap. I wouldn't even be aware of the vast majority of his off field crap that seems to bother you so much if it wasn't for people like you posting about it here.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ddores":15jr8o15 said:
ducks41468":15jr8o15 said:
massari":15jr8o15 said:
ducks41468":15jr8o15 said:

Naw - I don't think it's actually that complicated. Russ made a bunch of noise after the superbowl. Got it. Wanted things his way. Got some of it. Got it. Both sides are setting up for a divorce after this season from all the indicators. Got it.

When he ran out of ways to get things done, now he's offering to restructure.

I think it's pretty easy: Russ - stop working the press for whatever agenda you've got this year. Sling the rock. Make your numbers, and we'll see how things go after the end of the season - that's certainly the way he seems to be playing it.

Actually, there is a pretty simple remedy for some of y'all....Just S-T-O-P R-E-A-D-I-N-G, and Voila!!, no more angst. :17: