Round 6, Pick 208: Stone Forsythe, OT, Florida

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwilightError":2fe7mpvm said:
According to NFL.com grades https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prosp ... &year=2021 this guy is the sixth best OT of this years draft. Any clue why he fell to the 6th round? (Other than bad spelling :D ) Other similarly graded players were taken in rounds 1-3. This was a real value pick.

He's a pretty bad run blocker. Isn't a fit for teams that run power scheme stuff. That's why there's such a huge variance in how he's graded by different sources.

Still, with his physical makeup and pass blocking prowess, he shouldn't have made in past round 4. He's a supreme value.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Threedee":2oxnv5rh said:
Maelstrom787":2oxnv5rh said:
PC/JS note that Stone is Hutch-approved, and Hutch worked him out personally.

Does that mean signing him will be difficult?

If he does enough as a pro to make re-signing him difficult, I'm all for it

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Threedee":2kvjt278 said:
Maelstrom787":2kvjt278 said:
PC/JS note that Stone is Hutch-approved, and Hutch worked him out personally.

Does that mean signing him will be difficult?

I see what you did there. Thanks for rubbing lemon juice in that paper cut. :p

chris98251

Reaction score
He is a very good pass protector, easy to see why, looks more like a power forward then a Tackle so has good feet and agility as well as reach, read up on him and he plays high as well.

His neck is narrow, he is not a work out guy I would think, not yet anyway. Duane Johnson was a defensive end and Tackle, different body type needed.

He needs upper body and as Fade stated some leg work a lot, then learn his technique. He has some very good guys to mentor him, this will be a Redshirt guy, that will get reps next year. We have PS guys that have been getting groomed that will be our emergency back ups.

This isn't a surprise, Pete regularly red shirts guys on the D and O line.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
chris98251":2dw61j8o said:
Maelstrom787":2dw61j8o said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/stone_forsythe/status/1152759257294626816[/tweet]

Well we want him tp play football not Wrestle, hope he is a better football player then the Rock was.

Rock has a few roid years head start on Stone!
I like this pick, even if he sits on PS for a year. He's got some really good tutoring to absorb during DB's Monday-Thursday rest days.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
kf3339":6v3b4aww said:
TheLegendOfBoom":6v3b4aww said:
Fade":6v3b4aww said:
chris98251":6v3b4aww said:
Well we want him tp play football not Wrestle, hope he is a better football player then the Rock was.

See the leg difference in those picks. Dude needs to learn where the squat rack is. He has the feet to be a LT, but he has to build his body pronto.
Agreed.

Hopefully, it’s just the angle of this photo but it looks like his legs are rather small and non existent!

Don’t skip leg day!

Strength and power all starts with the right foundation!

Get them legs bigger!

I'm not sure the photo angle could cause that much difference in leg thickness, but if Hutch approves that is fine with me. He needs a pro weight training and eating program to get some solid weight this next year. I do like that he seems a natural at pass protection. That is a good starting point.

It’s partly the angle of the legs and it’s partly the lighting. I was primarily a professional photographer for 20+ years. Lighting is one of the most major impacts of any photograph. He might not have as thick legs as the rock but I’m fairly certain they aren’t as small as this picture portrays.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Own The West":3kvnbcry said:
John63":3kvnbcry said:
pittpnthrs":3kvnbcry said:
Dont hate the pick but still super disappointed the C position hasent been addressed. Russ wanted OL help and only got Jackson so far.

I would look at udfa and also realize we're not done fa part 2 and 3 are still to come.

Center's fine. There wasn't anybody in the draft better than Pocic anyway. LG was our turnstile last year and now it is not. The whole line is going to be better.

Deep breath! :2thumbs:

I agree. Pocic will be better at center with more experience. Gabe Jackson will be a huge upgrade to one of the guard spots and Lewis played well as a rookie and will be better in year two. All that is left is bolstering our tackle depth. She’ll played well at RT last year so I see the entire unit as being an upgrade over last year.
I think we’ll have the best guard duo we had in the PC era this year with Lewis and Jackson.

toffee

Reaction score
The Breh":3s2o1a0j said:
Jerhawk":3s2o1a0j said:
Maelstrom787":3s2o1a0j said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/pablowaves/status/1388613287806312450[/tweet]

Hutch approved, and a total chad. Legend.

They're*

His poor spelling may have been a reason he slid down draft boards
Your (you're) the life of the party wherever you go, aren't you?
I don't quite get why some folks used your instead of you're, etc. It was a preference, right?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

kf3339

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2wtyesrz said:
Own The West":2wtyesrz said:
John63":2wtyesrz said:
pittpnthrs":2wtyesrz said:
Dont hate the pick but still super disappointed the C position hasent been addressed. Russ wanted OL help and only got Jackson so far.

I would look at udfa and also realize we're not done fa part 2 and 3 are still to come.

Center's fine. There wasn't anybody in the draft better than Pocic anyway. LG was our turnstile last year and now it is not. The whole line is going to be better.

Deep breath! :2thumbs:

I agree. Pocic will be better at center with more experience. Gabe Jackson will be a huge upgrade to one of the guard spots and Lewis played well as a rookie and will be better in year two. All that is left is bolstering our tackle depth. She’ll played well at RT last year so I see the entire unit as being an upgrade over last year.
I think we’ll have the best guard duo we had in the PC era this year with Lewis and Jackson.

That's wishful thinking on both your parts. There is no way Creed would have been a backup to Pocic for center. But it doesn't matter now.

I'm still hoping a cut veteran center or trade happens before the season that puts Pocic to a backup player. He isn't starter material.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Fade":1sr7j7l3 said:
chris98251":1sr7j7l3 said:
Maelstrom787":1sr7j7l3 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/stone_forsythe/status/1152759257294626816[/tweet]

See the leg difference in those picks. Dude needs to learn where the squat rack is. He has the feet to be a LT, but he has to build his body pronto.

BPA seemed to coincide with Seattle's needs this draft glad they didn't trade down. This picture does not match the player i see on film. I think Seattle did great with what they had this year.

cymatica

Reaction score
chris98251":1f9gt3ve said:
This may be a better shot of him, not as concerned now.

Stone forsythe 19 3

OIP

Buchanan  512x330

He's using the same pose angle technique that women use to make their face look thinner. Fooled me a few times back in the Myspace dating days

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not sure why so many are concerned about his height. Meanwhile, the Rams have starting tackles standing at 6'8" and 6'7"

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think this guy's going to be a winner! Huge man, good pass pro, which is all Russell cares about.

And IMHO, be doesn't need to be a people mover in the run game, or get to the 2nd level, just slow people down! Let the Guards and Center (LeState) be the Road Graders and 2nd-Level Pin Ball Machines!

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Lots of good things being said about Forsythe. Good late round pick and possible replacement for one of our two tackles next year.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":34o5rl99 said:
Not sure why so many are concerned about his height. Meanwhile, the Rams have starting tackles standing at 6'8" and 6'7"

He didn’t run block much at Florida and after watching him on the field they feel he will have issues run blocking because they feel he’s too tall. So he’s projected to be a bad run blocker due to height. RW was projected to be a bad QB due to height. Tre Brown won’t work at outside CB due to height. KJ won’t work at Will LB too slow. DK didn’t run routes in college and had a not so good 3 cone so he can’t run routes, had no body fat so he’s sickly, and he dropped balls in college. Doug Baldwin not athletic & slow. Bobby Wagner was too small to be an NFL starter.

Russell Okung was the perfect OL prospect