Russell Wilson and the 3 year, $45.5 million baseline

BadgerVid

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":25m6atq8 said:
MizzouHawkGal":25m6atq8 said:
London12":25m6atq8 said:
Can someone summarise this objectively? Just too many essays to read through over the past few pages..
It's quite simple you have some (idiots) thinking you can just draft a Russell Wilson any old time. Another group (of idiots) thinking any clipboard Jesus type (Flynn, Whitehurst or Joe Montana at 65 would due given it's all about Lynch and nobody else).

Then the real ignorance starts. Pretty simple right?

Sound so like you Are attacking posters and not the posts.

Not the posts? Pull out one descriptor (used twice) and it's all about the posts.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2ysldsfb said:
MizzouHawkGal":2ysldsfb said:
London12":2ysldsfb said:
Can someone summarise this objectively? Just too many essays to read through over the past few pages..
It's quite simple you have some idiots thinking you can just draft a Russell Wilson any old time. Another group of idiots thinking any clipboard Jesus type (Flynn, Whitehurst or Joe Montana at 65 would due given it's all about Lynch and nobody else).

This is what some posters suggest others think, but I doubt anyone here actually feels this way.

Since no deal has been made between RW and the Hawks in his rookie contract, there is speculation as to why it hasn't happened. RW is right to be asking for a lot. The JS is going to get the best deal he can. The options, as I see them having been presented:

1. Sign RW at all costs or we lose our SB chances after this next year. A franchise QB only comes around every so often, and we'll never duplicate him, or replace his worth in games won or intangibles. Make him the highest paid QB in history since he won't be after the next QB gets a contract. The rest of the team is much less important to future success. Plus, not giving him the money is a sign of disrespect.

2. Sign RW to a deal that shows his worth. It can be creatively structured, but the FO will need to open their wallet. May make him highest in history in some area. He's earned it, though may not have reached elite status or his ceiling yet. We may lose Wagner or others who are valuable, but the QB is the place to put the money.

3. Offer RW a contract that is somewhat team-friendly, keeps the team in both the long and short term out of cap trouble, but allows the team to maintain it's nucleus of strong players, especially on Defense. If RW wants to win, he'll help make the contract doable for the whole team. Hopefully we can find a stop-gap QB if RW walks. He really can't be replaced, but that's life in the NFL with the cap.

4. If RW wants a contract to make him the highest paid QB, but his stats aren't the "best ever" (even if they're some of the best for first 3 years in league), then we'll keep him on his rookie contract this year, and he can test FA next year. We may franchise him for more than one year, but not at the expense of keeping the rest of the team. Defense wins championships. We're better off keeping the rest of the team, and settling for a lesser QB until we can find another diamond like Russ.

regarding #1 and #2, I'd love to sign Russ to a top-flight offer. I think he's worth it, and I believe the team is much better with him leading it. The question is whether we have the cap-space to do it after signing all the others. If we don't, then what? This is where I'll wait and see how the FO gets it done. I believe we'll sign him. I think it will be creatively done. It will be for a LOT of money. But it must accommodate a great team around him. Tough decisions are ahead.

Go Hawks!

I have a question that relates to your last paragraph. Does anyone know whether signing him to an extension after June 1 would delay the first signing bonus amortization year until the '16 season while still paying it upon signing? If so, that would strike me as a way to avoid any additional cap hit at all in '15 and (with a large SB and relatively low '16 & '17 salaries but not low enough to completely eat up the value of the SB) still structure a contract that would constitute a "top flight offer"...

Just a thought.

seedhawk

Reaction score
BadgerVid":wrgdeair said:
Ad Hawk":wrgdeair said:
MizzouHawkGal":wrgdeair said:
London12":wrgdeair said:
It's quite simple you have some idiots thinking you can just draft a Russell Wilson any old time. Another group of idiots thinking any clipboard Jesus type (Flynn, Whitehurst or Joe Montana at 65 would due given it's all about Lynch and nobody else).

This is what some posters suggest others think, but I doubt anyone here actually feels this way.

Since no deal has been made between RW and the Hawks in his rookie contract, there is speculation as to why it hasn't happened. RW is right to be asking for a lot. The JS is going to get the best deal he can. The options, as I see them having been presented:

1. Sign RW at all costs or we lose our SB chances after this next year. A franchise QB only comes around every so often, and we'll never duplicate him, or replace his worth in games won or intangibles. Make him the highest paid QB in history since he won't be after the next QB gets a contract. The rest of the team is much less important to future success. Plus, not giving him the money is a sign of disrespect.

2. Sign RW to a deal that shows his worth. It can be creatively structured, but the FO will need to open their wallet. May make him highest in history in some area. He's earned it, though may not have reached elite status or his ceiling yet. We may lose Wagner or others who are valuable, but the QB is the place to put the money.

3. Offer RW a contract that is somewhat team-friendly, keeps the team in both the long and short term out of cap trouble, but allows the team to maintain it's nucleus of strong players, especially on Defense. If RW wants to win, he'll help make the contract doable for the whole team. Hopefully we can find a stop-gap QB if RW walks. He really can't be replaced, but that's life in the NFL with the cap.

4. If RW wants a contract to make him the highest paid QB, but his stats aren't the "best ever" (even if they're some of the best for first 3 years in league), then we'll keep him on his rookie contract this year, and he can test FA next year. We may franchise him for more than one year, but not at the expense of keeping the rest of the team. Defense wins championships. We're better off keeping the rest of the team, and settling for a lesser QB until we can find another diamond like Russ.

regarding #1 and #2, I'd love to sign Russ to a top-flight offer. I think he's worth it, and I believe the team is much better with him leading it. The question is whether we have the cap-space to do it after signing all the others. If we don't, then what? This is where I'll wait and see how the FO gets it done. I believe we'll sign him. I think it will be creatively done. It will be for a LOT of money. But it must accommodate a great team around him. Tough decisions are ahead.

Go Hawks!

I have a question that relates to your last paragraph. Does anyone know whether signing him to an extension after June 1 would delay the first signing bonus amortization year until the '16 season while still paying it upon signing? If so, that would strike me as a way to avoid any additional cap hit at all in '15 and (with a large SB and relatively low '16 & '17 salaries but not low enough to completely eat up the value of the SB) still structure a contract that would constitute a "top flight offer"...

Just a thought.

Rational logical posts are not treated well here! :p

Anthony!

Reaction score
BadgerVid":3podg4g2 said:
Ad Hawk":3podg4g2 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3podg4g2 said:
London12":3podg4g2 said:
Can someone

Go Hawks!

Just a thought.

Rational logical posts are not treated well here! :p

True but it is a very good point, I have never even thought about it till now. HMMM

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
BadgerVid":394mcrbx said:
CurryStopstheRuns":394mcrbx said:
MizzouHawkGal":394mcrbx said:
London12":394mcrbx said:
It's quite simple you have some (idiots) thinking you can just draft a Russell Wilson any old time. Another group (of idiots) thinking any clipboard Jesus type (Flynn, Whitehurst or Joe Montana at 65 would due given it's all about Lynch and nobody else).

Sound so like you Are attacking posters and not the posts.

Not the posts? Pull out one descriptor (used twice) and it's all about the posts.

Right. So we remove the personal attacks from the sentence and it ceases to be a personal attack. Real puzzle solver you are.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Interesting.....:thcoffee:

@Curry, you're pushing the line. Thing is it's nowhere near MY line. Just a little heads up from somebody not involved with whatever happens. I was totally truthful with you in the Mariner thread. I thought some fair warning wouldn't be out of line even so.

Fact is it's not an attack personal or otherwise if I happen to think everyone but myself is an idiot. Stupid? Most likely, but an attack? No. Luckily I think few people are actual idiots as opposed to acting idiotic from time to time.

Alcohol and Life has a way of doing that more than most realize either in concert or seperately regardless of my opinion in my experience.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1xxrm2u9 said:

@Curry, you're pushing the line. Thing is it's nowhere near MY line. Just a little heads up from somebody not involved with whatever happens. I was totally truthful with you in the Mariner thread. I thought some fair warning wouldn't be out of line even so.

Fact is it's not an attack personal or otherwise if I happen to think everyone but myself is an idiot. Stupid? Most likely, but an attack? No. Luckily I think few people are actual idiots as opposed to acting idiotic from time to time.

Alcohol and Life has a way of doing that more than most realize either in concert or seperately regardless of my opinion in my experience.

all good fun, my question is why do you not use a actual picture of you as a avatar?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Ambrose83":97q446ad said:
MizzouHawkGal":97q446ad said:

all good fun, my question is why do you not use a actual picture of you as a avatar?
I'm ugly(really thin and short because of my handicap, rather not publically announce exactly what I have though beyond it doesn't affect my mental actuity/facilities or important physical stuff, if you get my meaning), I actually have no pictures of myself to upload beyond my ID card. And that's just worse obviouly. The last time I had a picture taken of myself was at my wedding and that didn't work out so all the albums are officially my ex-husband's. We don't interact given I'd prefer to stay out of prison. :)

I never asked why he wanted those albums and don't like thinking of the possible answers but what can I do now? I just wanted out as fast as possible.

If it helps I'm a redhead .;)

Jimmy Graham is my second favorite player right behind Derrick Coleman for obvious reasons that I'd be willing to discuss via PM if you care.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2czri84f said:

Thinking it? No. Saying it? Yes.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Wilson is a lot more than the QB. He is the face of the franchise. He represents the team and does it well. He has a PSA airing with Pete. He addresses Microsoft employees. He has been to the white house to have dinner with POTUS at least twice. He is not just a QB he is also our envoy and he is dang good at each. There is no way Paul Allen would let him go. I can't see it.

the ditch

Reaction score
It irked me that he didn't show up for any of the first OTAs, I get it he went to a funeral but that was one day. The way I see it, you're under contract for next season, and if you want to be paid the big boy bucks then you get your butt to OTAs and show that you're a professional who deserves to be the highest paid guy on the team. Go out and start developing a relationship with the new players.

Seems like it was a calculated move to do with his next contract, and there's no reason why he couldn't have been there.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
the ditch":3pdd9dfo said:
It irked me that he didn't show up for any of the first OTAs, I get it he went to a funeral but that was one day. The way I see it, you're under contract for next season, and if you want to be paid the big boy bucks then you get your butt to OTAs and show that you're a professional who deserves to be the highest paid guy on the team. Go out and start developing a relationship with the new players.

Seems like it was a calculated move to do with his next contract, and there's no reason why he couldn't have been there.
Yeah, it's sure annoying when people die right before an OTA :roll:

the ditch

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":39srhi6m said:
the ditch":39srhi6m said:

Use the eye rolling emoticon all you want, he missed an OTA on Tuesday for the funeral, there was one one Wednesday he didn't attend, I believe there is one tomorrow and last I looked he was in Florida so it seems he won't be at that one either.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
the ditch":2nzji5y2 said:
Hawkfan77":2nzji5y2 said:
the ditch":2nzji5y2 said:

Use the eye rolling emoticon all you want, he missed an OTA on Tuesday for the funeral, there was one one Wednesday he didn't attend, I believe there is one tomorrow and last I looked he was in Florida so it seems he won't be at that one either.
He will be at OTAs tomorrow, so continue to be irked if you want. But he will be at the VMAC

the ditch

Reaction score
Right on, I stand corrected. I still believe though that if you want to be the highest paid player on the team then you need to be the most committed player on the team, the sooner the contract issue gets resolved the better I suppose.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
the ditch":1j6su463 said:
Right on, I stand corrected. I still believe though that if you want to be the highest paid player on the team then you need to be the most committed player on the team, the sooner the contract issue gets resolved the better I suppose.
How is supporting a new team member off the field not being committed to the team? The bond that Russell and Jimmy are creating right now off the field is better than anything a two hour non-practice will do.

Wilson went as the representative of the team, that's how important it was. For you to suggest he's not committed is beyond ridiculous.

the ditch

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":byu5jlqj said:
the ditch":byu5jlqj said:
How is supporting a new team member off the field not being committed to the team? The bond that Russell and Jimmy are creating right now off the field is better than anything a two hour non-practice will do.

Wilson went as the representative of the team, that's how important it was. For you to suggest he's not committed is beyond ridiculous.

You seem to love to throw around hyperbole and absolute rule that you're correct, so I'm not even sure why I'm engaging you but you could definitely argue that being around the facility and all the other players for the week is better for the team then going to the funeral. He also could have flown back after the funeral on Tuesday and been there on Wednesday as well which would have been the best of both worlds. Just because you say something is correct doesn't make it so.

McGruff

Reaction score
the ditch":3ae9qkor said:
Hawkfan77":3ae9qkor said:
the ditch":3ae9qkor said:

"Hate to grieve and run, but I got to go play a game with my homies! See ya!"

McGruff

Reaction score
the ditch":1roykrq2 said:

Questioning Russell's commitment? Wow, that's a new one . . .

You do know that he organizes and runs his own team activities in the offseason, including paying for travel and lodging for younger players.

He also also is pretty much always the first to arrive and last to leave practices. I remember Pete talking about arriving to the VMAC at 4 am and thinking "Man, Russ is here before me!" only to find out that Russ hadn't left from the night before!

Latest posts