The Athletic: How the $445 million Mets crashed and burned

bileever

Reaction score
Interesting article in the Athletic about the disastrous Mets season despite its record-setting payroll. (The Mariner's payroll by comparison was $134 million.)

Because it may be behind a paywall, here is another article from SI: The Mets are a Historical Disaster:

The Mets finished 75-87, 29 games out of first, after spending money to improve on a team that won 101 games the year before. The team underperformed in nearly every way possible, and the article suggests that athletes have fragile egos that can crack under heavy pressure.

It goes to show you how unpredictable sports can be, and that there are worse things than being a Mariners fan.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Wow, the Mets had the exact same outcome as the Mariners yet the Mariners ownership pocketed way more cash. So fun to be a Mariners fan.

I hate this type of article. I don't give a **** about how much the ownership spends, all I care is that they try to put a competitive product on the field.

The Mets did that, the Mariners have given up for 2024 if not longer.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Rangers spent money and won a World Series. Some of it is timing. The Mariners seemingly have enough homegrown talent that a couple of key signings could send them to the WS.

Latest posts