Russell Wilson vs Heavy Blitzing defenses

niveky

Reaction score
John63":39etww1x said:
strohmin":39etww1x said:
I have been watching Russell since his rookie season and one thing I believe is that Russell has not improved against defenses that blitz like crazy. I never see any pre-snap adjustments from him like you would from qbs like Tom Brady, Rodgers etc. If he is making pre-snap adjustments then it doesn't seem to be the right adjustments because someone is always coming through. I used to believe that Pete was the one stopping Russ from making those adjustments but I have a hard time believing that would still be the case after 8 years. This goes all the way back to Russell's first game which was against Arizona. I understand that when a team can pressure you with the front 4 then there is not much any qb can do about it. However, I have noticed that Russell doesn't seem to burn teams that rely heavily on blitzing to bring pressure like other QBs can. Is it just him being stubborn and wanting the big play every time or is he just unable to handle blitzes?

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/1184151724535304192

Wrong

Yeah, beat me to it. I listen to Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller on Moving the Chains on sirius a lot and they were just talking about that a week or two ago. He is money against the blitz.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2k6ra1va said:
Well, maybe if they actually ADJUSTED for once. They could counter it with a quick passing game, screen passes, fly sleeps, actually running the ball etc. They don't adjust, and it's getting old.
As far as Russ vs. the blitz, it's just another in a line of things people claim he can't do. Meh, he's fine against the blitz. His swiss cheese o-line, pathetic play calling and/or a lack of adjustments are a much bigger issue. Just my opinion....

They finally made many of these adjustments vs AZ last Thursday. What a beautiful sight it was. Otherwise, you are dead on the money on all these things.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And I've been down this road so many times, l'll go ahead and just leave it be. Years of being blasted for being a homer and/or Russ lover has ran it's course for me. I just want to talk football and pull for my team.

Other than the thought that it just seems like another made up thing that Russ "can't do" etc. Meh, he's plenty good against the blitz.

chris98251

Reaction score
Very very few QB's can look good against a Blitz with no running game, Erin is a good example when they lost their running game for a while a few years back, people flushed him and beat him up.

Brady another example, Peyton another example when James was gone and in Denver when he had to deal with a real defense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great points ^
A running game changes everything, for any QB. It's just way too easy to pin your ears back all night when you know there's no threat of a running game. We saw it last week with Hyde in there. Russ was much more in control and not having to carry the team so much. Gotta' have that balance, and all great QB's still need a running game.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2cg8zojv said:
Great points ^
A running game changes everything, for any QB. It's just way too easy to pin your ears back all night when you know there's no threat of a running game. We saw it last week with Hyde in there. Russ was much more in control and not having to carry the team so much. Gotta' have that balance, and all great QB's still need a running game.

It does not help when instead of going for passing that can help against the blitz they go to long developing plays and waiting to 5 or less on the clock to snap it. Our need to go back to same old played right into the blitz.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Quick passing game, screens to the RB, bubble screens, fly sweeps etc. All of that, and it's a good point. Sometimes the lack of adjusting to what the opponent is doing is maddening to say the least.

Zap90

Reaction score
Did anyone watch zona v Seattle on October 25th? They kept blitzing RW and he was a mess. His timing was off in the 4th quarter.

Also Buffalo killed the Seahawks by blitzing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
People can believe what they want, not gonna' change their minds.
I think he's just fine against the blitz. And it's somehow always HIS fault when nobody blocks for him and he has little to no time to do anything. And the play calling is somehow also his fault. But, I'm just a Russ lover so...….

John63

Reaction score
Zap90":258abyzm said:
Did anyone watch zona v Seattle on October 25th? They kept blitzing RW and he was a mess. His timing was off in the 4th quarter.

Also Buffalo killed the Seahawks by blitzing.

And yet again as I posted his stats against th3e blitz is very good. 1 or 2 games does not show a trend, especially when the OC admits they did not adjust to it well. as in the play scheme and calls.

FYI Az tried it again last game and we were great so yeah NO.

Latest posts