Schottenheimer 2nd half was worse than Noton's first half??

Seymour

Reaction score
Just wondering the logic in Pete's thinking....if there is any. The offense pulled the weight from the historically bad first half defense....literally! Then the 2nd half we slumped on offense and the D stepped up on most statistics other than turnovers.

So in this disappointing ending, it is Schottenheimer taking the axe yet Norton's side of the ball was obviously far worse half the year?

Pete and Schotty were lockstep in philosophy going in, and thru 2 seasons now he suddenly is not? I don't care much as the offense will be Pete's no matter who moves in....just curious if others agree this appears an easy scapegoat to a season of 2 seasons on offense and defense?

I will also point out that since the 2014 SB loss we are averaging 6 first half points in 8 playoff games, and those span 2 coordinators leaving Pete Carroll as the ONLY coaching common denominator!

cymatica

Reaction score
Offense definitely worse. The defense actually improved drastically and made some adjustments in their scheme that helped them improve. The offense couldn't function when facing 2 deep safeties and it was as if they just threw up their hands and gave up.

When Pete says he hopes they never see 2 deep safeties, that tells me he has no idea how to exploit it without a great running game, even though every single damn offense not in Seattle understand the concept of short high percentage throws and using the entire field.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
cymatica":2y2cbn5d said:
Offense definitely worse. The defense actually improved drastically and made some adjustments in their scheme that helped them improve. The offense couldn't function when facing 2 deep safeties and it was as if they just threw up their hands and gave up.

When Pete says he hopes they never see 2 deep safeties, that tells me he has no idea how to exploit it without a great running game, even though every single damn offense not in Seattle understand the concept of short high percentage throws and using the entire field.

We saw some of the few concepts Seattle had to beat that look over the past few weeks. Russ wasn't executing. Gotta adjust to your personnel.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":vq9e9k7t said:
cymatica":vq9e9k7t said:

We saw some of the few concepts Seattle had to beat that look over the past few weeks. Russ wasn't executing. Gotta adjust to your personnel.

Disagree. Where were the middle RB screens to slow the 4 man pressure against the Rams with 2 deep? How bout the TE that totally disappeared? Why no rollouts to get Russ moving and time to find a target?? Many play call examples that could have helped that were totally ignored!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Seymour":2mwk6hs6 said:
Maelstrom787":2mwk6hs6 said:
cymatica":2mwk6hs6 said:

Disagree. Where were the middle RB screens to slow the 4 man pressure against the Rams with 2 deep? How bout the TE that totally disappeared? Why no rollouts to get Russ moving and time to find a target?? Many play call examples that could have helped that were totally ignored!

Maybe that's why Schottenheimer was canned, eh? Notice how I said "some of the FEW concepts." Schotty abandoned lateral movement of the pocket and called mainly simple dropbacks, where Russell would proceed to ignore/miss the short option and hold the ball against a defensive line that could simply pin its ears back.

Of course, it didn't work.

Focusing on the run game probably would have helped there.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Disagree. The first half defense was historically bad. The second half offense was anemic sure, but they weren't historically bad.

hawks85

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2h01o2ym said:
Disagree. The first half defense was historically bad. The second half offense was anemic sure, but they weren't historically bad.
Norton should have been canned plain and simple, but since that's Pete's friend it wasn't gonna happen.
Norton first 8 weeks - HISTORICALLY BAD (Norton is a bad DC in general has a proven track record)
Last 8 weeks improved

Schotty - first 6-8 weeks On fire
Last 8 weeks bad

Schotty was canned, why wasn't Norton canned as well? Seems unfair. Seattle runs that good ole boy system which I absolutely can not stand.