Seahawks Fans: Why The Hostility?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hey Slick, Woodinville? Love it out there. I did a half marathon at Tolt Pipeline Trail last summer. Great trails in that area, and it started with that heart attack hill (I think they called it that)

Own The West

Reaction score
Oh and Sly? We're Americans. Listening and comprehension are not really our strong suit...

chris98251

Reaction score
When you are losing those fans bond more and have a comradery of suffering thru the hard times, we had a lot of that initially and then good and then Behring which is about the time Aros made .NET. Going thru the blood and guts of message board initiation from all aspects few have survived and many people migrated here. Site built up and the anything goes became more civilized arguments. Things like the Shack created etc. Good people that had bonded and became friends over the years of posting and some of the Meets began to enjoy the Holmgren Era. That Super Bowl year we had a huge influx of new fans.

The close knit group infiltrated by new fans and yes not as well educated in history and team, some band wagon types etc. That is really the second major Generation of Fans that I think is also a age difference also in many cases based on what you read in their posts.

Skip ahead a few more years to disfunction of Ruskell, The poison pill, Holmgren leaving and Mora, some conflict going on with the team and the Fans, lots of arguing then. Dirtbags be damned.

Pete enters the picture, still arguing, Matt or no Matt, Clip Board Jesus, Rah Rah versus old school, Petes a Cheat, Flynn and Wilson, LOB and then a Super Bowl, a lot of Fans joining again and the Third wave has arrived, again many not as versed in Seahawks History and lore new fans, we now have first and second generation that have adapted to each other in conflict with the new Third Generation, Posting styles and whats considered [roper etiquette is different and conflicts arise.

What has not changed is we all hold others accountable for sources of news and quotes. If you post something and your stating as a fact you better post a link or your ass gets torn up from the ground up, always has been that way here. That for new people can take some getting used to/

Post a rumor or a inside source you better have something to back it up, you will never be forgotten here for misleading the forum.

Now where is Carson Palmer he was supposed to be signed what 10 years ago now.

Old asses will remember that one, Guaranteed inside source.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I’ve been saying this for some time. On other forums there’s a lot of support for the team and especially a lot of support for the QB. As great as Russ is the love on here is conditional amongst at minimum 30% of the fan base. Those doubts never left from 2012

capncrunch

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2m9fqa98 said:
As someone who follows the Hawks closely and has been on this board for quite awhile, I'm hesitant to post in the main forum... and that's mostly because there are so many well-informed posters who just are able to say things better than me. People who watch multiple replays, know the depth chart, know UDFAs, understand schemes and weaknesses.

It's tough for people like me, who is far more informed than the average Hawks viewer, but significantly less informed than many of the posters here. So I hide in the background and enjoy the content.

Yeah. This sums it up pretty well for me. This is what I do mostly, because what I think of to say is usually already said by someone else pretty much. It can be a very informative site even if you are not posting a ton or the OP very much. There are trends in the narrative that sometimes bug me a bit. It used to be "oh man, we are so ignored by the main sports media and every body hates us and never gives us props. Now I wish the Hawks got less attention. It's not that good of a thing. We get stuck in the d@@@ night games more than anybody. These nail biting games last past midnight. It's the worst. Anyway, please stick around. There are people coming on here from all over the globe and I. will guess different ages and ethnicities and backgrounds. It's pretty cool in that way.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Never feel like you don't offer something to the community. I hear that some feel intimidated because others may have more X's and O's knowledge but I personally celebrate that. I am as passionate and dedicated of a 12 as anyone, but I am the first to admit my football IQ isn't all that high. I leave that for those who do have that intensive knowledge to set me straight if my opinions or emotions are being led astray due to my lack of understanding a scheme or particular play.

I can fly you to your destination, just don't quiz me on the intricacies of aerodynamics, lol.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ddores":3v1qocxc said:
Jerhawk":3v1qocxc said:
This site does have some of the most knowledgeable posters I've ever been around. There are some highly intelligent people on this forum.

This. I'm always amazed at the level of knowledge some of the posters around here have. I mostly lurk - but there are people on this board that know ALOT about football, and alot about Seahawks history. More than me, who's only been a fan since the Superbowl XL bandwagon year.

It actually prevents me from posting more, as I don't think I know as much about the team and sport - and would end up looking dumb in alot of cases.
There are other forums besides just football where you
don't have to worry about looking dumb and besides
why worry?I don't know everything about football
and I have been watching since I was 7-8 yrs old.
I certainly have those who correct anything football
that I get wrong,it's no big deal-nobody is perfect.
Your opinion is just that (yours) so post away :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love reading all the breakdowns people post, and the links that people post w/vids etc.
Keeps me busy :irishdrinkers:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
scutterhawk":26q0danw said:
TypeSly":26q0danw said:
I'm a relatively new member of this forum, but it's something that I've wanted to address for a little while now. I'm also a member of numerous other forums, from sports teams to different hobbies and such. Before I even begin my post, I'll probably get a few "If you don't like it, leave" replies, so let's just get that out of the way lol.

Something that I've noticed, and a question I've been wanting to ask is: Why are Seahawks fans (especially on this forum) so divisive and hostile towards each other? I've never seen a fan forum, where members constantly attack each other for their opinions, or being a little less knowledgeable about the team. Even the silliest little things like mis-spellings, or mis-quotes, people are so quick to jump on a fellow member. Browsing other teams' boards, there just seems to be much more camaraderie, and more of an "us against the world" attitude, than we seem to have here. It may seem silly, but on an NFL team forum, isn't it us against the world (so to speak)?

Even on the new members area, I've never seen a forum with so little welcoming. Has anyone noticed the amount of new members who have one or two posts, and then are never heard from again? This area on other forums that I've been on (not just sports teams) are usually full of welcome parties, making new members feel well... "welcomed" :mrgreen:. Reading a lot of the threads on this forum, it's easy to speculate on why they don't want to stick out their head and post again.

People spend so much of their time and energy antagonizing each other here, that I just wanted to remind everyone, that in the end, we're ALL Seahawks fans. We're all on the same side, pulling for one team. From all around the world, we have this in common, and it is something special. Let's not forget that.

TypeSly, from Canada.
LOLOL, Actually, it's like I told my grouchy old neighbor (2 doors down) "You can try and be a smart-a$$ with me all you want, I'm just going to turn it into a complement" :mrgreen:
Like water off a ducks back.
AND I only come here for the free beer. :irishdrinkers:
Wait what? Free beer? Where?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1pvd9r87 said:
When you are losing those fans bond more and have a comradery of suffering thru the hard times, we had a lot of that initially and then good and then Behring which is about the time Aros made .NET. Going thru the blood and guts of message board initiation from all aspects few have survived and many people migrated here. Site built up and the anything goes became more civilized arguments. Things like the Shack created etc. Good people that had bonded and became friends over the years of posting and some of the Meets began to enjoy the Holmgren Era. That Super Bowl year we had a huge influx of new fans.

The close knit group infiltrated by new fans and yes not as well educated in history and team, some band wagon types etc. That is really the second major Generation of Fans that I think is also a age difference also in many cases based on what you read in their posts.

Skip ahead a few more years to disfunction of Ruskell, The poison pill, Holmgren leaving and Mora, some conflict going on with the team and the Fans, lots of arguing then. Dirtbags be damned.

Pete enters the picture, still arguing, Matt or no Matt, Clip Board Jesus, Rah Rah versus old school, Petes a Cheat, Flynn and Wilson, LOB and then a Super Bowl, a lot of Fans joining again and the Third wave has arrived, again many not as versed in Seahawks History and lore new fans, we now have first and second generation that have adapted to each other in conflict with the new Third Generation, Posting styles and whats considered [roper etiquette is different and conflicts arise.

What has not changed is we all hold others accountable for sources of news and quotes. If you post something and your stating as a fact you better post a link or your ass gets torn up from the ground up, always has been that way here. That for new people can take some getting used to/

Post a rumor or a inside source you better have something to back it up, you will never be forgotten here for misleading the forum.

Now where is Carson Palmer he was supposed to be signed what 10 years ago now.

Old asses will remember that one, Guaranteed inside source.

Good post TypeSly.

Great breakdown Chris.

As the 3rd owner of .Net and being a member since 1999 I can say .NET has always been a place were some of the brightest Seahawks minds congregate. I wouldn't say we are an unwelcoming bunch but there is some sense of standards and expectation that you back up you talk. This is not Twitter and I'd say we typically wash out trolls quickly.

I would like to find a way to better celebrate some of our more knowledgeable and well respected posters.

sc85sis

Reaction score
TypeSly":3afv1m2n said:
I'm a relatively new member of this forum, but it's something that I've wanted to address for a little while now. I'm also a member of numerous other forums, from sports teams to different hobbies and such. Before I even begin my post, I'll probably get a few "If you don't like it, leave" replies, so let's just get that out of the way lol.

Something that I've noticed, and a question I've been wanting to ask is: Why are Seahawks fans (especially on this forum) so divisive and hostile towards each other? I've never seen a fan forum, where members constantly attack each other for their opinions, or being a little less knowledgeable about the team. Even the silliest little things like mis-spellings, or mis-quotes, people are so quick to jump on a fellow member. Browsing other teams' boards, there just seems to be much more camaraderie, and more of an "us against the world" attitude, than we seem to have here. It may seem silly, but on an NFL team forum, isn't it us against the world (so to speak)?

Even on the new members area, I've never seen a forum with so little welcoming. Has anyone noticed the amount of new members who have one or two posts, and then are never heard from again? This area on other forums that I've been on (not just sports teams) are usually full of welcome parties, making new members feel well... "welcomed" :mrgreen:. Reading a lot of the threads on this forum, it's easy to speculate on why they don't want to stick out their head and post again.

People spend so much of their time and energy antagonizing each other here, that I just wanted to remind everyone, that in the end, we're ALL Seahawks fans. We're all on the same side, pulling for one team. From all around the world, we have this in common, and it is something special. Let's not forget that.

TypeSly, from Canada.
I joined in 2010. Not going to lie, it was much friendlier then.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Been here for some time. There were more friends in the older days, but it wasn't always more friendly.

There was, as Aros intimidated, a commonality that permeated the boards though. Many people knew each other on a personal level. There were meet ups. The board was an extension of game day experiences.

The boards reflected that. People could argue, but there was always that measure of respect as you just may see each other at the game, Temple, or elsewhere.

Those days are gone, unfortunately. Not the fault of anyone now. But its easier to be less civil when you don't know who you're actually talking to.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Uncle Si":310izbsc said:
Been here for some time. There were more friends in the older days, but it wasn't always more friendly.

There was, as Aros intimidated, a commonality that permeated the boards though. Many people knew each other on a personal level. There were meet ups. The board was an extension of game day experiences.

The boards reflected that. People could argue, but there was always that measure of respect as you just may see each other at the game, Temple, or elsewhere.

Those days are gone, unfortunately. Not the fault of anyone now. But its easier to be less civil when you don't know who you're actually talking to.

Precisely. As an example, I used to think pehawk was a complete tool online, but then I met him, and got to learn who he was as a person and then it all clicked for me. Not that I agreed with him, but I got him. That is quite a powerful difference, to understand the person behind the words on a screen. This would apply to most people, btw.

Someone earlier mentioned the generational angle and there is absolute truth to that. Each generation has their niche, their place, their feelings about themselves and the world around them. That will never change. The intermingling of said generations in a forum is a psychological sand box worthy of study.

FWIW, I do believe this community lacks - in general - a certain level of kindness towards one another. Certainly there are many members here that get it and do not apply here, but there are also many members who do apply. Decent attitude and respect are vital elements to any healthy community and sometimes I don't see either.

If I had a dollar for every time I said or thought, "Man, I bet if I got together with this douchebag over a couple drinks we would have a great time and see eye-to-eye" I could buy a sweet RC jet.

Truth is, with the exception of a few unsavory characters, it's almost always true. The anonymity that a keyboard and monitor affords is almost too intoxicating for some not to act like complete jerks (see: trolls).

The good news is that .NET is still here. Through all the ebbs and flows, the successes, the failures, the ups the downs, it's still here. And above all else, there are still plenty of quality posters here. I still come here because of that fact. For every dbag I disregard, there's a lot here I enjoy reading their thoughts.

As was intimated earlier, at the end of it all, we are all fans of the same team. We all belong to the same tribe.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":2hyv72xm said:
Uncle Si":2hyv72xm said:

Precisely. As an example, I used to think pehawk was a complete tool online, but then I met him, and got to learn who he was as a person and then it all clicked for me. Not that I agreed with him, but I got him. That is quite a powerful difference, to understand the person behind the words on a screen. This would apply to most people, btw.

Someone earlier mentioned the generational angle and there is absolute truth to that. Each generation has their niche, their place, their feelings about themselves and the world around them. That will never change. The intermingling of said generations in a forum is a psychological sand box worthy of study.

FWIW, I do believe this community lacks - in general - a certain level of kindness towards one another. Certainly there are many members here that get it and do not apply here, but there are also many members who do apply. Decent attitude and respect are vital elements to any healthy community and sometimes I don't see either.

If I had a dollar for every time I said or thought, "Man, I bet if I got together with this douchebag over a couple drinks we would have a great time and see eye-to-eye" I could buy a sweet RC jet.

Truth is, with the exception of a few unsavory characters, it's almost always true. The anonymity that a keyboard and monitor affords is almost too intoxicating for some not to act like complete jerks (see: trolls).

The good news is that .NET is still here. Through all the ebbs and flows, the successes, the failures, the ups the downs, it's still here. And above all else, there are still plenty of quality posters here. I still come here because of that fact. For every dbag I disregard, there's a lot here I enjoy reading their thoughts.

As was intimated earlier, at the end of it all, we are all fans of the same team. We all belong to the same tribe.

Well going all the way back You were the Captain but I think Les was the Helmsman and controlled the mentality Rudder a lot. He could be fiery when needed but always and always started off trying to understand and guide and humor you.

You don't and can't replace that, he had that touch.

While I never was able to attend things I had many conversations with many off forum in PM's etc.

Les invited Members to his Home to celebrate Training camp and each other.

Again Aros was Lucky to have him find us I guess is the best way to say it.

And we ( as in those that had the chance to interact with him) Lucky to have had that opportunity.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2yfvexxm said:
TypeSly":2yfvexxm said:

TypeSly, from Canada.

Part of it is high expectations, and part of it is the nature of social media today. But as an aside, you should also take a look at some of your own posts -- calling someone a d*ck because they poke a little fun at you is going to create some nasty blowback. Bottom line -- treat others the way you would like to be treated.

Yes, you're right. I probably should have mentioned that I'm guilty of this myself at times. It's usually due to being defensive, after being the target of personal attack myself. Having said that, not only will I try to be better, I will stop it all together.

I don't want my OP to be misconstrued into that I think we should criticize the team less, or be more positive. Not at all. Positive or negative, crticizing and / or praising of the team, and expressing one's personal opinions is exactly what forums are for, and exactly why I come to these forums. I can't stand fake optimism. I just think (imho) that we should be more positive and appreciate each other more. I LOVE the Seahawks, so when I see camaraderie on other forums, I just got to thnking "Why can't our board be like that?" It kind of sucks that after you post anything on .NET, you feel like you have to be ready to be on the defensive.

I know that outside the forums, Seahawk fans keep an eye out for other and go out of their way to be friendly, or show their appreciation for each other. I know when I wear my Seahawks gear out, especially on vacation, I can tell countless stories about other fans going out of their way to strike up conversations for no other reason, than to let you know they're part of the same club.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for listening to my rant, and not shaming me off the forum. :179417:

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1xv4i83x said:
Great points, Type. Unfortunately, you'll have to get used to it, Seahawks dot negative indeed. It's ridiculous. Even when they win, many act like they are actually angry. They would rather be RIGHT about a loss, as if that's somehow a good thing. And then there's the blatant refusal to eat crow and/or give credit when they win.
Oh well, overall it's a great place to talk sports, other than getting blasted or threatened on a message board.

Here's the thing about this board, there are posters here who I'm 100% totally convinced cheer against the team so they can say they're right about something.

We had a poster post back in January in the "Fire Pete Carroll" thread, you know the thread complaining about how we'll never win a game in the playoffs after winning a game in the playoffs, openly admit that he didn't even care if the move of firing PC worked out. He was just ready & wanted to see if he was right. Seriously, this really happened & I wasn't just reading between the lines, that's what he actually wrote.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I used to engage with people on this forum when they would disagree especially when they did it in a toxic way . . Now i just state my opinion and move on . Don't get sucked into an argument it's not worth it

LTH

Reaction score
I'm quite sure that I am one of the more disliked people on this board. I get frustrated because I want to enjoy a 5-0 start without reading why this team sucks...

It's the job of the fans to critique this team on a fan message board...

I apologize for making statements like "about half you guys don't know what you are talking about" although I believe this to be true in some cases, it was not my intention to prevent people from making posts...

I do not think that I know everything... in fact I'm quite sure there are many who would say I dont know what I am talking about and Im ok with that.... I think i just have a vastly different perspective than most... I will make an effort to be more considerate as hard as that is sometimes...

LTH

chris98251

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2kr89yd5 said:
I used to engage with people on this forum when they would disagree especially when they did it in a toxic way . . Now i just state my opinion and move on . Don't get sucked into an argument it's not worth it

You take the fun out of everything party pooper..... :)

chris98251

Reaction score
LTH":2zq0z5pq said:
I'm quite sure that I am one of the more disliked people on this board. I get frustrated because I want to enjoy a 5-0 start without reading why this team sucks...

It's the job of the fans to critique this team on a fan message board...

I apologize for making statements like "about half you guys don't know what you are talking about" although I believe this to be true in some cases, it was not my intention to prevent people from making posts...

I do not think that I know everything... in fact I'm quite sure there are many who would say I dont know what I am talking about and Im ok with that.... I think i just have a vastly different perspective than most... I will make an effort to be more considerate as hard as that is sometimes...

LTH

Really we need Wen to add a like/dislike button as well as on each members profile how many enemies you have and how many people have you on ignore.

I just wish I wasn't do reserved and shy or I would post more.