Why did the Seahawks lose the last 4 in a row

Ozzy

Reaction score
I mean I think it's pretty obvious that the Hawks are not as good as the Niners and Cowboys. If you look at the rosters, it's clear that the Hawks do not have the talent these teams have. No one thinks the Hawks rostrr is as talented as these teams...What does it say to have an expectation for the Hawks to beat these teams? It says that because Pete has coached up players in the past to exceed expectation that it has become the expectation.

Name a team besides the Pats that have picked at the bottom 3rd of the draft for 12 of the last 14 years and have a record better than Pete Carroll?

Yes the Hawks trade Wilson and have been rebuilding for the last 2 years. Most thought after the Wilson trade the Hawks were going to tank. But yet AGAIN Carroll and Scheider have two great drafts and the team exceeds expectations.. they don't tank as everybody thought.

This year they have been decimated with injury. Look at what happened to the 49ers in the past when their team was decimated with injury. Look at what happened to the niners this year when they lost Debo, McCaffery , and Williams. They went on a 3 game skid to average teams, why because they were not as good as the teams they were playing.

LTH
I don’t feel like typing it all out but the idea that Seattle has drafted so late in comparison with everyone else is way overstated. They flat out drafted terribly before the past two and it has nothing to do with them picking 20th.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
You keep using the term "rebuild". PCJS have straight denied that they've ever been in a rebuild. More importantly, maybe we should define the term clearly so that we're on the same page when having a discussion.

To me and, I dare say, to almost every sports analyst a rebuild is when you

1) Tear down your roster to get rid of overpaid and most highly paid players while amassing as many draft picks as possible.

2) Start with a clean future cap and spend a couple seasons drafting your future. Fill holes with low cost vets.

3) Develop your bounty of draft picks over a couple years while maintaining cap discipline. If you're serious, you should be rolling cap to the future and have little to no dead money.

4) Year 3 or so and it's time to evaluate your young talent. You now know what you have and where you need a few FA blue-chippers and have the cap to get them AND fill in the last few holes with solid mid-tier FAs.

5) Use this period to evaluate every position on the coaching staff. Have a short leash and turn it over until you've filled the ranks with top talent.

6) You have your team. Go win something.

This is completely different from what PC has been doing.

1) Trade for blue-chip players that will never provide adequate value for your schemes/systems. Spend years trying to figure out how to use them because they don't fit. Hold on to your highest paid players as long as possible and never cut or bench them.

2) Go cheap and do the bare minimum on your lines - we don't need any blue-chippers there. Once you realize your line play will mean 10+ losses, overpay in draft picks for mid-tier rentals. Every so often, find a mid-tier FA and pay him like a blue-chipper.

3) Try to coach players up. Ignore it when you see that the majority of players are regressing and only a tiny portion are actually improving throughout the season and year over year. Your coaches may get better someday.

4) "Run It Back" again and again even though the product for this season is, for all intents and purposes, pretty much the same as last season. A borderline playoff team who will be lucky to win a playoff game. Maybe your opponent will be starting a backup QB? Yay?

5) Be loyal to your coaching staff. Until you start hearing the rumbling, then fire one or two and blame them for all your failures. Put Loyalty at the top of the list of qualifications. When they start to deviate from your core football philosophies wait for them to have a bad game then "rein them in" and make them do it with your 1980's schemes. You know best. If you finally luck out and find a good OC, offer him an extension. When he comes in to sign tell him it's your way or the highway. Watch him walk out the door. Hire some schlub instead.

6) Welcome to your .500+- team that has no chance in the playoffs. If it looks like you'll end up more than a game or two below .500? Trade away future draft capital for another rental to keep yourself near .500. Enjoy the job security that comes with not being a loser. Ride the gravy train as long as possible while moving up the coaching wins leaderboard.

Sorry for the rant. But please tell me your definition of "rebuild" so I can tell if it's it's closer to my definition or PC's.
I don't have time tonight to go into the detail you want me to but...

They pretty much did get rid of a bunch of veteran contracts the year they let Wilson go. I'm not going to look up every contract but the ones I remember off the top of my head were Wilson, Wagner, Jackson. A bunch on D. Everybody was calling it a rebuild but Carroll who never seems to see it that way.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Never mind that the Hawks went into that game with their starting running back hurt, never mind that the O line was decimated with injury, never mind that Geno Smith was hurt in the first half and Drew Lock had to come in cold off the bench.. Never mind that the Hawks lost a staple in their D as in Nwosu which by theway with him in the line up the Hawks had a top 10 D.. none of that matters in your mind because you made up your mind 5 years ago that the Hawks need to fire Pete Carroll and you will over look anything that disputes your assertion because your mind was made up 5 years ago.
How many years have the Hawks OL been hurt?. At least the last 5. How many years have they been looking for a edge rusher? The line stinks on both sides of the ball I just wonder why every year.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Carroll calling out some players today was definitely a paradigm shift. The problem is, he’s just as much the problem as the players he is calling out.

Not a good combo.

Coaching, scheme and players are the problem.

Uh oh.

cymatica

Reaction score
I don’t feel like typing it all out but the idea that Seattle has drafted so late in comparison with everyone else is way overstated. They flat out drafted terribly before the past two and it has nothing to do with them picking 20th.
Dee Eskridge
#micdrop

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
BTW This was never a rebuild.

You rebuild by refilling key positions with raw talent or youth, and then getting better by adding players or developing existing ones.

We have plenty of veterans. And we are adding older players, not younger ones. Our QB isn't even young!

The reason this is called a rebuild is because people lower expectations with rebuilds. That way when you get to .500 (the likely REAL goal), everyone claps and points out how we did so much better than expected from a rebuild.

But there is no upside that comes with a rebuild. Just veterans getting older and rookies flashing, then seemingly (almost puzzingly) becoming worse.
Rebuilds don't look like this.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Carroll calling out some players today was definitely a paradigm shift. The problem is, he’s just as much the problem as the players he is calling out.

Not a good combo.

Coaching, scheme and players are the problem.

Uh oh.
EXTREMELY interesting perspective.

LTH

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Based on what Pete said, it sounds to me like there's dudes collecting paychecks and not putting in the effort they should be.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Well when you replace all but 2 players on the D what is that ? When you replace half of the O line, the Qb and the Rb what is that called? It's a rebuild
And I'm NOT the only one who thinks it's a rebuild almost all of the beat reporters at one time have called it a rebuild.

Why you ask?

Because it's a REBUILD LOL

Now I'm not saying the Hawks are not under performing because I believe they are. Specifically with the D. This D should be playing better than they are. Peneltys are a huge thing especially in both the Rams losses. If a coach coaches up a player and the player doesn't respond that's not automatically on the coach. The player needs to take responsibility. A perfect example is Woolen and his illegal hands to the face. That probably cost the Hawks the last Rams game. Time for Carroll to Crack the whip. The season isn't over yet.. let's see what Carroll does. Steal one from the Eagles, and there are 3 winnable games to win out and go 10-7. Will it happen? I don't know could it happen absolutely!

LTH
OK, for a moment, let's accept your characterization that this is a rebuild. Why was the roster so bad that it required such a complete and thorough "rebuild"? Who drafted and signed such horrible players? Who was it that traded away three high draft picks for an oft injured, underperforming player? How did we ever get ourselves in the situation where a condition existed that required a "rebuild"? What had the previous several years of non-rebuilding achieve?

As a rule, "rebuilds" occur following two events: A team that fired their head coach and GM, hires a completely new regime as happened in 2010 when we fired Mora and hired Pete. The second condition is after a team has had a successful run but has a number of players that departed through FA or retirement, others that had to be paid, etc. The 2021 Rams might be a good example.

But the term does not apply to a team that has won just one playoff game in 7 seasons. You don't rebuild a house that never existed in the first place.

I'm done arguing with you about semantics. If you want to continue to live in a world of denial, make excuses for our many losses, be satisfied with 9-8 records and backing into the playoffs then going one and done, if that's all it takes to float your boat, then great. Let's elect Pete Carroll king, let him keep pumping out these mediocre teams that require "rebuilds" every few years until they have to carry him out on a stretcher.

Last edited:

hawker84

Reaction score
I'll tell you why we lost 4 in a row soon to be 5.
Baltimore
Dallas
Sf
Philly
Rams

All have better O and D lines than the Seahawks. They have dogs on their lines, we have good to averwge players on ours. 🤷

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I'll tell you why we lost 4 in a row soon to be 5.
Baltimore
Dallas
Sf
Philly
Rams

All have better O and D lines than the Seahawks. They have dogs on their lines, we have good to averwge players on ours. 🤷
We'll be lucky to be .500 at the end of the season.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Not only that, but we've traded away a lot of top picks, particularly the Adams and Graham trades. In 2021, we went into the draft with just 3 picks due to trades. And who was our first selection that year? Dee Eskridge.

Jac

Reaction score
It is kind of interesting that 4 of our last 6 games have been against Baltimore, SF, and Dallas. Is anybody in the league any good besides these particular teams? The NFL just seems like a mediocre mess right now. I'm still rooting for wholesale regime change (from ownership downward) but not sure this is the year it's going to happen.

Jac

Reaction score
Not only that, but we've traded away a lot of top picks, particularly the Adams and Graham trades. In 2021, we went into the draft with just 3 picks due to trades. And who was our first selection that year? Dee Eskridge.
The 2021 draft was unacceptable on just about every level. People should have been fired over that.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The 2021 draft was unacceptable on just about every level. People should have been fired over that.
Agreed. How can any team go into a draft with just 3 picks and no first rounder? Then we waste our top pick on a WR when a player like Creed Humphrey is sitting there.

No wonder we're having to "rebuild".

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
It's a very simple answer.

It's who they played. They should have beaten the Rams they lost because of a missed FG.

The SF 49ers are destroying EVERYBODY. Nobody is hanging in there with the 49ers.

The Dallas Cowboys are destroying EVERYBODY. nobody is hanging in there with them as apparent to their blow out victory against the Eagles.

So that's three games against opponents that are just superior teams than the Seahawks.

EVERYBODY knows that the Niners and Cowboys are the best teams in the league but yet there is this expectation that the Seahawks should beat these teams, and if they don't then obviously their needs to be a coaching change? I mean how realistic is that?

The Seahawks are in the second year of a rebuild in which this year they have had so many injuries... the O line has had 10 different combinations of players this year. Geno Smith has been hurt with a bad arm the first time they played the Niners with Walker out that first game.

The second game they lost with out their starting QB and walker playing hurt.

Would you expect the niners to win without Purdy and McCaffery out or playing hurt Against the best team in the league? I think not.

Ultimately what the fan base is expecting from the Seahawks is for Pete Carroll to coach up players that are NOT as good as the rosters of the best teams in the league, and then to beat the best teams in the league. And when they can't live up to that expectation then the coach MUST be fired.

How realistic is that? It's NOT REALISTIC AT ALL.

This is the reason they have this skid.

 LTH

So basically you are admitting that Seattle just isnt as good as other teams. When exactly should we expect them to be on par with everybody else? How many more years does Pete get a pass?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
10-4 on the Titans and Cards, but the Steelers are still a legitimate team that is currently sitting on the #6 seed in the AFC.

The Steelers just lost back to back games to teams that had 2 wins. They aren't good.