Seahawks new head coach next year...

Rat

Reaction score
I want us to give Urban Meyer another chance. He's a brilliant football mind who fell to unrealistic expectations and PC garbage. He has been a success everywhere they let him.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Bieniemy is abrasive. Seems to wear pretty thin on people, even under winning conditions.

Initially, it looked like a glass ceiling type of thing based on his skin color, and that IS working against him - but Demeco Ryans certainly had no shortage of prospective suitors.

Bieniemy is likely a bad interview, likely does not receive glowing endorsements from his previous colleagues/players, and for sure has a checkered past.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Honestly though, if I had to hire a new dude right now, I guess I'd be looking at Dave Canales, Ben Johnson, Dan Quinn, and Mike Macdonald. Jim Harbaugh too I suppose.

Think you let John Schneider interview the guys and let him decide who to rock with.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think we see a new head coach until the team is eventually sold. In essence, whoever takes the gig would do so knowing that they may eventually be replaced in a year when the new owner(s) come in. Sure it's possible that whoever it is does a great job and makes a case for being retained, but it's highly unlikely imo.

Torc

Reaction score
Well Bienemy is likely getting fired so how does that qualify him for a hc job here? He didn't get a single offer even KC's prime when he was there...but hey lets hire him just because...no thanks!

Dan Quinn is a good choice but definitely all defensive. So you'd have to bring in a strong OC. I would have faith in Quinn to do something better with the D but not sure on the other side of the ball. Maybe Quinn is happy where he is and holding out for the boys job.
I think Quinn is waiting for Pete to retire; he likes where he is at and is getting paid like a head coach so he can be very, very picky about which teams he interviews with and considers.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Not buying the race issue, it's not 1960. Winning is EVERYTHING. Nobody cares what you look like, they care about W's. I'd much rather play for a disciplinarian than a guy that lets the Asylum run the show.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Brandon Staley's available.

(sorry,,,just thought the board could use a laugh)

keasley45

Reaction score
The NFL is following the money right down the drain. The league has been softened by rules that neuter the aggressive nature of the game and is full of college level coaches who are coaching Div 1A+ college football in a league that was once vastly different than the college game.

They can quote revenue and worldwide popularity all they want, but the quality is a shadow of what it once was. And the parity thry wanted , they achieved, but less by virtue of them creating an equal playing fiedl as much as they just turned the game into an average version of itself made up of average players and average coaches. So, I personally would prefer someone who is more about the bang than the bomb. And I know I'm in the minority, but defense still matters. It's why the dolphins, with all of their weapons will get crushed by the 9ers.SF has O and D and I'd argue they'd still be formidable if they didn't have ALL of the offensive weapons they have today ( because they were. They were just handicapped slightly by JG).

I will always be a Hawks fan. Just not sure how hardcore a fan I'll be of the game, the way it's going.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Can anyone else not hear or see the name Bieniemy without mentally hearing "Eric Sleeping with Bieniemy" in Chris Berman's voice?

flv2

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think we see a new head coach until the team is eventually sold. In essence, whoever takes the gig would do so knowing that they may eventually be replaced in a year when the new owner(s) come in. Sure it's possible that whoever it is does a great job and makes a case for being retained, but it's highly unlikely imo.
There's no time scale for when the team will be sold. It might be 1 year but it could be 10. They can't stand still indefinitely.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I want us to give Urban Meyer another chance. He's a brilliant football mind who fell to unrealistic expectations and PC garbage. He has been a success everywhere they let him.

So you want the guy who helped cover up a wife beater on his team, then lied about it to the point of giving the NCAA and Ohio State no choice but to suspend him.

Or do you want the Meyer who threw his coordinators under the bus when his team was 2-10. Two coaches BTW who won SB's and had far more NFL experience than he did.

Or wait, is it the Meyers who decided to grind up on a lady in a bar after getting his ass handed to him on national TV.

Oh I know, it's the Meyers who when he saw his program going down the toilet in Florida faked being burned out so he could get out of his contract, only to miraculously heal in time to coach Ohio State a couple years later.

Nah, I never want a quitter who doesn't take responsibility for his or his coach's actions. That's not something any NFL player or coach respects. Nor should any fan. Dude's a fraud.

keasley45

Reaction score
Not buying the race issue, it's not 1960. Winning is EVERYTHING. Nobody cares what you look like, they care about W's. I'd much rather play for a disciplinarian than a guy that lets the Asylum run the show.

I dont think this instance is race based either with Bienemy. But there's a reason why into the 2000s, a black qb was always seen as a 'running qb' and that the pool of minority coaches is still disroportionately small to begin with. Or why in the early 80s, Warren Moon couldn't get a job in the NFL. Or how in 2020 a lawsuit was unearthed against the NFL over the fact the dementia tests were being "race-normed" -- adjusted due to assumptions that Black people have a lower cognitive baseline score. Changes to the settlement made last year are meant to make the tests race-blind. In other words, black players were being denied damages because they were deemed not as smart as white players to begin with, so they didn't meet the threshold for 'decline'. 2020. Not 1960 is right. Pretty sad.

And this isn't at all intended to sidetrack the convo. Just a response to a response.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think we have to buy the race issue at least a little bit considering the current demographics of head coaches (hell, and front office/ownership) in the NFL and how disparate it is to the player base. Does that mean Bieniemy is falling victim to that as his primary roadblock? Probably not.

I don't think that the discrimination that DOES happen is conscious, 99% of the time. I think it's more nepotistic in nature than anything. Some implicit, unconscious bias coupled with the fact that people get their foot in the coaching door mostly via connections. Connections go back generations. The previous generation did hold a lot more prejudice, and it takes a while for all of that to fizzle out.

With that said, I don't think it is the primary blocker for Bieniemy. I think he is his own primary blocker. He probably wouldn't be on my interview list. The issue is that black coaches don't have as many opportunities to get their foot in the door for interviews, in my eyes. Once they reach the interview stage, I don't think bias is a primary determination in most hires from that point. Mostly merit from there.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I think we're finding out why Bienemy went all those years in KC without getting a HC gig. People knew it was Andy Reid, not really Bienemy.

I have no idea who I'd want for the next Hawk's HC. As I said above, I'm not going to worry bout it until I read that Carroll's fired or the team's sold. Then we can start throwing around interesting names.

Until then, we're just torturing ourselves.
He left KC to be his own man as offensive coordinator. He has done a great job considering the lack of legit talent in Washington.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Bieniemy hasn't been hired by any team because of his time at Colorado as an assistant.
I wasn't aware of his scandal at Colorado. So that can be the issue that won't ever get him a HC position, he may just always be an OC.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Oh god. If they hire that bum I’ll find another team. 🤮

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Honestly though, if I had to hire a new dude right now, I guess I'd be looking at Dave Canales, Ben Johnson, Dan Quinn, and Mike Macdonald. Jim Harbaugh too I suppose.

Think you let John Schneider interview the guys and let him decide who to rock with.
I would love to see John run the show and pick the new head coach. I want an offensive minded coach.