Seahawks open as slight favorite over Chargers

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is literally the defining game.

Beating the Chargers (even at home), would show this is a team that can do more than just beat up on the teams that are weaker - but can also beat teams like the kind they would meet in the playoffs.

I don't know that many people really thought they were going to lose the Lion game, at least at the start of the year. But the Chargers are the kind of team we struggle with and the Chargers are pretty good right now.

The Lions are not a good team. We have beaten a number of bad teams so far. No real victories over anyone that is any good at all.

The Chargers would be a big step in showing this is not a pretty good team that beats up on bad teams, but a team that can compete with the good ones. The only bigger win that I can imagine for us would be to beat the Rams.

Beating the Chargers would also give us a shot at a wildcard because we still have 49er and Cards games on the schedule we should easily turn into wins.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3rknmmuw said:
The Lions are not a good team. We have beaten a number of bad teams so far. No real victories over anyone that is any good at all.

I'll agree with your overall point that the Chargers are a bigger test than the Lions, but I will quibble that the Lions are a bad team.

They're certainly an inconsistent team, but they beat the Dolphins, Packers and Patriots........so playing them on the road early was nothing to take lightly.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Lions beat the crap out of the Pats and beat the Pack. They were pretty hot going in to that game and have a very good running back, solid O Line, good pass rush and a very good QB. And were at home.
Hawks are just a good team, it's time for people to accept that.
Why is it that every time the Hawks win a game, it's because of something that the other team didn't do, or the other team isn't that good etc? We spent all week talking about, and for good reason, how this was going to be a tough game that could go either way. Now we win by 2 touchdowns, and it's because the Lions are not a good team? :Dunno:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
poly1274":1qhwobop said:
Aros":1qhwobop said:
Personally I am not all that worried about the Chargers at home. Why should I be?

They are a team that never does crap in the playoffs, and most often falls short of the playoffs. So big whoopdie-doo...Philip Rivers, a good QB is suddenly our kryptonite in Seattle? Come on.

Now if this was us facing them in 115 degree heat in their house a couple years ago? Yeah, ouch.

No. This is him, Old Man Rivers, in OUR house, in a cool climate, with a RABID fanbase of 70,000 12's making his life miserable fresh off of the passing of our beloved Paul Allen.

Do any of you really think this game is in doubt?

Chargers can actually run the ball and have a decent D.

They also have benefitted from a garbage schedule.

There wins are over the following- Bills, 49ers, Browns, Titans, Raiders.

None of which are any good.

Atradees

Reaction score
I am more confident because our run defense was really good on the road with the return of KJ and Jordan. The Lions are a good team. They were hot. We shut them down at 10am.

Looking forward to Ed Dickson getting some more reps in the passing game.

Our young secondary continuing to get better.

Our run D is ranked 11 now. The Chargers 10th. Our chance to flip the script.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
lukerguy":1urw49d7 said:
Rivers has always been difficult on the Seahawks but I can't remember playing LA/SD anywhere but LA/SD. Part of Rivers main skill set, like any of the veterans is to audible the play. He won't have the luxury in CLINK. I expect them to move the ball but I don't think it will be as easy as playing in SD was for him.

2010 season was at Seattle. Infancy of the LOB.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I believe the Hawks will win, but as some had noted, Rivers is a savvy QB and understands our defense is built to minimize big plays...which means the short pass game is available.

I just remember Rivers just take what our defense will give and throw a ton of short passes and move the ball down field.

We will win if we just stay on schedule and keep Rivers on the sidelines with our ground and pound run game.

DJrmb

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3k9l3hw8 said:
oregonhawkfan":3k9l3hw8 said:
I feel the secret to beating the chargers for us is taking care of TE Gates. Rivers is a slippery sob and moves in the pocket well when we get pressure on him. He always seems to find Gates for big gains against us in the past and that is where we must have a good plan to cover.
I'm not that worried about Gates. He's a shadow of his younger self, averaging less than 2 receptions per game this year.
I agree with you Jay. Actually they aren't really using their TE's at all so far. It's much more about stopping their RB's out of the backfield this year to beat them. Gordon and Ekeler both get a ton of targets in the short passing game. Gordon is only 19 receptions behind Saquon Barkley (who leads the league in RB Receptions) and that's with missing a game due to injury and having their bye already (Barkley has played 2 more games). Their RB's is where we need to focus to stop them.

mistaowen

Reaction score
This is a big game. Chargers are a legitimate AFC threat this year now that Rivers actually has a supporting cast. He is one of the only QB's in the NFL who has pretty consistent success against us, especially dissecting the zones, and is putting up another great season so far. They can run the ball, throw the intermediate-deep ball, very strong at screens, have a solid pass rush, and a couple solid players in the secondary. Luckily Bosa wont be playing and they struggle against the run, something the Hawks have been killing lately.

Shortening the game with bruising runs will be key. Phil will get his yards and likely hit a big play or two, need to consistently own TOP and finish drives with TD's. Chargers will be a true test for this defense.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Allen is a good WR but actually hasn't really been that much of a factor this year. He only has one game this season over 100 yards and that was game 1. That was also the only game he's had a TD catch too.

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2v0sfmad said:
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/line-movement/[email protected]/date/11-04-18

Very early money seems to be moving toward the Chargers.

FiveThirtyEight’s computer model gives the Seahawks a 61% chance to win the game. They rank the Seahawks 8th in the NFL and the Chargers 9th:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... redictions

Meanwhile, Adam Schefter wrote a report (citing anonymous sources) that Joey Bosa will not be “anywhere near ready” to play in the game:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2510 ... t-progress

Oh sweet Jesus, we are #8????? I remember not long ago, all the national experts expect us to be a four wins or less team with Pete Carroll on hot seats.

If we handle Chargers, we are officially on a roll and legit playoff candidate. Lions and Chargers are not Raiders or Cardinals, they are good teams, and on some sort of winning streak before meeting the Hawks.

Of course Pete will always be on hot seats with some on dot net, and Wilson will always be a glorified game manager, that's just how it is.